High-zinc oil or ZDDP oil additives?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL !! Next time ask "what kind of spark plug is everybody using?" LOL, and just step back and watch the Mayhem....

It's because there are so many ways to skin a cat. When it comes to oils, plugs, and the such, most of them work. People post what they've used for years and years issue free. The puff'n up comes when somebody is told what they've used for hundreds of thousands of miles over years and years doesn't work. LOL.....

It's because there are so many ways to skin a cat. When it comes to oils, plugs, and the such, most of them work. People post what they've used for years and years issue free. The puff'n up comes when somebody is told what they've used for hundreds of thousands of miles over years and years doesn't work. LOL.....

No, the actual issue is the definition of "WORK".

When I was a kid, I made money by tuning other peoples two strokes. I have watched as guys pour oil out of the bottle and right into the tank and then top it off with fuel. And then wonder why the tune up was off from ride to ride. What they did "worked".

It's like saying a pump is "high volume" or headers are "long tube". That is all marketing crap. There is a correct volume of oil needed, there is a correct length of header.

So once you define work, then you can have a constructive conversation.

My definition of "work" is what gives the most horsepower, longevity and overall cost. And the ONLY way to effectively KNOW if you are fulfilling that definition of "work" is to test. On the dyno, then the track and then to verify all that by the test of time and cost.

If you definition of "work" is pour it in and it doesn't smoke itself then you are not the people for whom I post. Feel free to ignore anything I write.

But if you are all in , all the time, and expect the most HP in a verifiable setting, then you may find that some of what I post is relevant. It is certainly worth what you are paying for it.

Yellow Rose, I respect your knowledge and input on subjects. But this is my example, I have seen Fram oil filters be blasted on this site. Yet I know people that have bought cars and driven them to almost 300,000 miles on Fram filters without issue. How do you tell that guy he isn't protecting his engine properly by using a Fram????? And he continues to buy Fram oil filters and continues to stack miles and miles and somebody is going to continue to say what he is doing doesn't work???????
Back to this thread, I've been running flat tappet cams for years and years, and broke in several new flat tappet cams over them years, and I have YET to ever have a lobe go flat. I will never pay your 22.00 bucks for a quart of oil. Not unless somebody will give me a written guarantee that I will gain at least 2 mpg or drop 3 tenths in the quarter. Now, I'll sit back and listen to why I should change or why what I'm doing doesn't work...... (sigh)

Yellow Rose, I respect your knowledge and input on subjects. But this is my example, I have seen Fram oil filters be blasted on this site. Yet I know people that have bought cars and driven them to almost 300,000 miles on Fram filters without issue. How do you tell that guy he isn't protecting his engine properly by using a Fram????? And he continues to buy Fram oil filters and continues to stack miles and miles and somebody is going to continue to say what he is doing doesn't work???????
Back to this thread, I've been running flat tappet cams for years and years, and broke in several new flat tappet cams over them years, and I have YET to ever have a lobe go flat. I will never pay your 22.00 bucks for a quart of oil. Not unless somebody will give me a written guarantee that I will gain at least 2 mpg or drop 3 tenths in the quarter. Now, I'll sit back and listen to why I should change or why what I'm doing doesn't work...... (sigh)

Then run what you want.I don't EVER run a Fram filter because I have cut them open and they are JUNK IMO. I have seen them fail. BUT, if you are running a stock engine, without a big demand for oil, a Fram will likely get you by. For a few dollars more, you can buy a K&N, which is 10 times the filter. I call it the "stepping over donuts to pick up dog turds" syndrome. I have seen it my entire life. It makes no sense to me.

So keep on doing what you do if it works for YOU. You are NOT the person that $22.00 dollar a quart oil manufacturers make oil for. The specifically do NOT market to you, or for you. Don't get your feelings hurt on the issue. That is how companies like Comp stay in business. They have one group of people who deal with class racers and professionals, and they have the "other guys" who work with folks like you who think an off the shelf cam is bitchin'. But for those of us who don't have an "in" at Comp, we go where we can get a custom cam ground for the same money. Or, if you are really into it and have the coin, you can have these companies develop a lobe just for you. See how this works?

So we all get that $22.00 dollar a quart oil isn't for you. And testing isn't for you. And overall results aren't for you. But maybe, just maybe, some one else will come along and say "damn, I could find a bit here. Maybe I need to look into it". And they do their own research. And they do their own testing. And they find some performance. Well there you go. Those are the folks that the $22.00 dollar a quart oil people want. They aren't looking for coupon clippers and tire kickers. If that is you, the world is your oyster.

I hope this smooths out the hurt feelings and runny noses. I just post for the few who may be interested.

BTW, when was the last time you got a WRITTEN GUARANTEE on ANY product you bought that claimed HP? If they did would you even bother to test? You are just not that guy. That's why it isn't done.

Have fun with your hobby.

lol.... kind of funny. The only nose that has been running is .... never mind. I'll just say I don't use Fram filters, but have in the past. I will also say you have a tough sell telling folks to buy 22.00 dollar quarts of oil but no guarantee on anything, just pay it because I say and have tested it! LOL I did that once with a guy that said "just pay it" on Sonic spark plugs from an independent engineer that designed a specific plug to give you "20% more power and gas mileage". I went to his personal place where these were made and where he lived. I paid the money, installed them, and gain 100 %..... NOTHING!!!! LOL... No better gas mileage, no better performance. But his independent studies...... never mind!
About like the motivation throttle body spacer I bought. Called the manufacture themselves and they said "3 %" better gas mileage for sure..... I got.... NOTHING extra for gas mileage. Naw, I don't think folks are going to go running to pay 110 bucks for an oil change because "you say and tested it".

lol.... kind of funny. The only nose that has been running is .... never mind. I'll just say I don't use Fram filters, but have in the past. I will also say you have a tough sell telling folks to buy 22.00 dollar quarts of oil but no guarantee on anything, just pay it because I say and have tested it! LOL I did that once with a guy that said "just pay it" on Sonic spark plugs from an independent engineer that designed a specific plug to give you "20% more power and gas mileage". I went to his personal place where these were made and where he lived. I paid the money, installed them, and gain 100 %..... NOTHING!!!! LOL... No better gas mileage, no better performance. But his independent studies...... never mind!
About like the motivation throttle body spacer I bought. Called the manufacture themselves and they said "3 %" better gas mileage for sure..... I got.... NOTHING extra for gas mileage. Naw, I don't think folks are going to go running to pay 106 bucks for an oil change because "you say and tested it".

I never told you to buy ANY oil. How did you come up with that? In fact, I said you are NOT the guy for it. You are NOT that guy. So you get it now? You are not that guy. And I never said I sell the oil. Only that I tested it and many others. Don't go along and make things up that I never said. You are NOT the guy. You are the guy who is cheep and likes to step over donuts to pick up dog turds. So have a day with it.

The difference between you and me is that I have TESTED these things. I'm not guessing. When I first started, there were no oils that were even close to Torco. Now, Driven is close. LAT is very close. The Driven is a bit less expensive. but LAT is at the $22.00 dollar a quart price.

So I guess all the guys in Comp eliminator, the Stock and Super Stock guys, the alcohol burners who have oil issues, those guys with power adders and such, they are all stupid because they spend more money on oil that you? That is the height of arrogance.

I have said my part. I have nothing to prove to you. I have worked with your type before. I'd bet everything I have, that even if I bought you the oil, paid for the dyno testing, PROVED my case that there CAN be HP in oil, when the first time for an oil change came around, like a dog returning to it's own vomit, you'd be back in line at WalMart to get your oil. You can't help yourself. And that's ok. I'm good with it, why can't you be good with that too.

The moral of the story is: for some, the world will always be flat.

Take care and motor on.

^^^^^^^^^^ Thumbs Up^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I fit nice in your stereotype bag, it's a convenient place to put anyone that differs in opinion. I got it, I'M NOT THAT GUY! lol....

no bad blood... all in good humor... motor on

Just for the record, so if someone comes along and actually reads this thread, I DO NOT SELL TORCO OIL, OR ANY OIL.

Also, Torco does not make just $22.00 a quart oil. They like LAT, Driven, Synergyn and others, make very specific oils for very specific applications.

If you have any questions regarding any of these oils, I talk to these very people on a regular basis. All of them would love it if people would pick up the phone and talk to THEM about THEIR oils for YOUR specific application.

Yellow Rose
You do offer some ideas and suggestions that are different and I'm sure folks have benefited from it. Do you have a car that you race? It seems you are very technical, so, I bet it would be a nice thread. Pictures are always welcome... :)

I would agree that on the EXTREME a better quality oil etc would be needed but probably not for 75% of us and yes for many years I have always used Fram - Valvoline - STP and have had the 250K + cars several times and never had any engine failure I guess I was lucky more than once

I use penn grade 15-40. 8 quarts is like $62 and I'm sure glad I only have to change it once a year.

You are so full of crap, you're eyes are brown.

No, the actual issue is the definition of "WORK".

When I was a kid, I made money by tuning other peoples two strokes. I have watched as guys pour oil out of the bottle and right into the tank and then top it off with fuel. And then wonder why the tune up was off from ride to ride. What they did "worked".

It's like saying a pump is "high volume" or headers are "long tube". That is all marketing crap. There is a correct volume of oil needed, there is a correct length of header.

So once you define work, then you can have a constructive conversation.

My definition of "work" is what gives the most horsepower, longevity and overall cost. And the ONLY way to effectively KNOW if you are fulfilling that definition of "work" is to test. On the dyno, then the track and then to verify all that by the test of time and cost.

If you definition of "work" is pour it in and it doesn't smoke itself then you are not the people for whom I post. Feel free to ignore anything I write.

But if you are all in , all the time, and expect the most HP in a verifiable setting, then you may find that some of what I post is relevant. It is certainly worth what you are paying for it.

Joe Gibbs oil(loaded with zinc) and mobil one filters..nuff said:D:D

I believe the Brad Penn oil is the old Kendall oil formulas. May be wrong but that's what I understood when it came about and Kendall changed. I was running straight 40 wt in my 340 with solid lifters. (San Diego weather) I'm all out of those cases of "old" Kendall and will be hunting for a new oil when my solid roller cammed 416 get up and running.

I used to run Kendall oil until they got bought out. Went to VR-1 for a while, But alway notice after a lot of highway use the oil did not look right. Don't quote me on this as this was a while ago. I believe I read VR-1 not good for highway use and high heat. The oil brakes down. So I stopped using it. I was going to start using Rosella T 15w40 But they change the formula, So I started to use Brad Penn. I have not used enough to say much about it but so far good stuff.

Some oils do rob horse power but to most people that little bit does not matter.

And for those interested, O'Reilly brand oil is re-branded Havoline.

I guess ya can call me old school but what works, works. Been using 10W-40 Pennzoil with a 15oz bottle of STP
every oil change and have been doing this for years and have had 0 engine issues...

You are so full of crap, you're eyes are brown.

So what exactly did I say that was crap?

If you have something to post other than you have been running xxWxx oil for decades and my junk runs I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise who cares what you think is crap?

Your crappy attitude. You come off as "do what I say or it's wrong".

Sorry buddy, but there's lots of ways to get this cat skint. Your way ain't the only way.

Where's your car we been askin for pics of, btw? You even got one?

Your crappy attitude. You come off as "do what I say of it's wrong".

Sorry buddy, but there's lots of ways to get this cat skint. Your way ain't the only way.

Where's your car we been askin for pics of, btw? You even got one?

I didn't say there is only one way to do anything. I posted what I have learned. Evidently that pisses you off. Get over it.

I've been cleaning up crap that people have been "doing it this way my whole life" for longer than I care to remember.

I already said do what you want and that wasn't good enough? Time to grow up and realize it ain't about you. You ain't that guy either.

Maybe you need to get off the internet and get to a dyno or track near you.

BTW, I don't have a car. Never owned a race car. I don't work as an engine builder. I have never been paid to go to the track and tune other people's junk. I don't port heads. I've never had a flow bench. I've never used a dyno. I just come on FABO because I can and because I have nothing relevant to add.

Later dude. I have to go skin a cat.

Not pissed off in the least. In fact, I am amused. You speak of doin all this work and we've seen no shop, no car, no nuthin. Any information you've spewed could be found anywhere online. I think you're full of crap just like I said. You're a fake. Some of us have actually done this for a living all our lives, before the inter came around and made everybody an expert.

I think it's funny.

Not pissed off in the least. In fact, I am amused. You speak of doin all this work and we've seen no shop, no car, no nuthin. Any information you've spewed could be found anywhere online. I think you're full of crap just like I said. You're a fake. Some of us have actually done this for a living all our lives, before the inter came around and made everybody an expert.

I think it's funny.

Hell I second that!

I like the STP and Castol Motor oil. For what I'm guessing you going to be doing at the moment... Get the weight that is the proper Temperature Grade for where you live...

Dont get lost in all the He said,,,, She said.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back