How to Assemble the Front of a Small Block

-
I would run the oil slinger. They take the oil that gets on the front crank gear and help "sling" it around to lube the chain also in addition to the "drip tab" for oiling. Keeping the chain well oiled helps it last longer and not stretch as much.

You can get them cheap from Mancini Racing.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/oilslinger.html

Summit is more expensive on this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249636/overview/

They also help to keep the front seal from leaking by throwing the oil away from it.
On more than one engine I've done I've fitted the timing cover, and then after doing up the bolts found the slinger sitting on the bench. At least the sealant hadn't had the chance to cure, and the gaskets were able to be saved.
Good write up Krazykuda!

Thanks Fellas

Does anyone know what type of timing chain and gears would be on a 73 340. My car is an original survivor car with low miles the chain has less the 5 degrees of slack but does it have a nylon gear in there.

Does anyone know what type of timing chain and gears would be on a 73 340. My car is an original survivor car with low miles the chain has less the 5 degrees of slack but does it have a nylon gear in there.

If it has the nylon coated gears, I would think that it is the old single row 318 type chain.

I like the Edelbrock true roller double roller chains. They are a step up from the stock 340 chain and are only $62 at Mancini Racing. I've run them over 250,000 miles. I once was rebuilding an engine with 130,000 on it and the chain was in good shape still, but replaced it anyway because I had already bought a new one...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/edelbrock4.html

thanks for the write-up.
I got a 273 some took the front off, heads, and intake etc. is there anything I need to know different when I put it back together??? its just a 65 2 bbl 273, going back stock.

thanks for the write-up.
I got a 273 some took the front off, heads, and intake etc. is there anything I need to know different when I put it back together??? its just a 65 2 bbl 273, going back stock.

No, all small blocks go together the same way.

I would upgrade the timing chain to a true roller double roller. It's a step above the stock 340 double roller chain and will last a long time. The original chains that they put in the 273 & 318 are single row with plastic coated gears. They stretch easily and I've replaced them as early as 84 k miles, and gotten almost 2 MPG increase. The true roller double rollers can go over 200 k without stretching very badly on a daily driver.

Here's the chain that I like to use.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/edelbrock4.html

How do you feel about locktite on the cam bolt?

There's nothing wrong with using loctite on the cam bolt, but you don't need it if you clean your threads with a tap and die and then torque them to spec with a torque wrench. There's a reason that they give torque specs, it's so the parts don't come apart if torqued properly, but loctite is an extra piece of mind. If you want to use loctite, chase the threads for the cam and bolt with a tap and die and torque them properly.

Do not oil the bolts before torquing, it can lead to overtightening...

Great write-up! A question: will a timing cover from a '69 (or older) 340/318 fit on a '74 or newer 360 engine? Thanks!

Great write-up! A question: will a timing cover from a '69 (or older) 340/318 fit on a '74 or newer 360 engine? Thanks!

Yes, but the timing marks are 90° off between the two. You would have to find your TDC, then put a paint mark on the damper to match the new location. I think that you will then also have to run the cast iron water pump with the lower radiator hose on the opposite side.

You can make it work.

In 70 they changed to the aluminum water pump with the radiator outlet on the opposite side and moved the timing marks also. The radiator outlet may block the timing marks if you don't use the one that "matches" the timing cover for that "era".

If you have power steering, the bracket mounting locations are also different from up to the 69 set, than the newer 70 and later. You may have to change that over also.

I just tore down the front of my 340 for a cam swap and noticed those two front oil galley plugs under the cam thrust plate were missing. Where can I get these? Does anyone have a part number?

Thanks!!!

I just tore down the front of my 340 for a cam swap and noticed those two front oil galley plugs under the cam thrust plate were missing. Where can I get these? Does anyone have a part number?

Thanks!!!

They are an odd size and sometimes hard to find.

Mancini sells them in a kit that covers the whole block freeze plugs and oil galley plugs. Maybe call them and ask if they are sold seperately.

Year one also has a block hardware kit with them.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/blocharpac.html

Damn! I'd hate to have to buy a $40 kit for 2 small pugs. I did notice the back of the thrust plate is machined flat. Does that not seal those lifter galley ends?

Hopefully I can find something that'll work at the auto parts store.

Yes, but the timing marks are 90° off between the two. You would have to find your TDC, then put a paint mark on the damper to match the new location. I think that you will then also have to run the cast iron water pump with the lower radiator hose on the opposite side.

You can make it work.

In 70 they changed to the aluminum water pump with the radiator outlet on the opposite side and moved the timing marks also. The radiator outlet may block the timing marks if you don't use the one that "matches" the timing cover for that "era".

If you have power steering, the bracket mounting locations are also different from the 69 set up than the newer 70 and later. You may have to change that over also.

Thanks. That will make it easy to keep my old pre-'69 water pump, p/s, alternator, and radiator when I put in the 360-based stroker I plan on installing. I know about the balancer. Wouldn't ever trust a new one to be marked correctly anyways!

Damn! I'd hate to have to buy a $40 kit for 2 small pugs. I did notice the back of the thrust plate is machined flat. Does that not seal those lifter galley ends?

No, In my experience the camshaft thrust plate will not seal the lifter galley.

On the very first engine that my brother and I built when I was 13, the machine shop that did our block work did not put the plugs in behind the camshaft thrust plate. :eek:ops:

I installed the 340 in my 72 Challenger, and started it up. It only had about 25 psi oil pressure cold and would drop below 10 on a fresh rebuild. I pulled the engine out of the car 4 times before finally finding it. :violent1:

After the 1st pull, we found that the distributor drive gear did not line up with the hex drive for the oil pump and chewed it up. We repaired that and installed the engine and started it again. Same thing, barely 25 cold and about 10 when warmed up. :pale:

We were going around asking others what could be going on. Most of the people said that we trashed our bearings when we started it and ran it with low oil pressure. I didn't buy that. :tool:

I finally talked with a Ken Neve who was the head of Mopar Muscle Club back then and he ran a repair shop. Ken was a great mechanic. He told me to make a priming shaft and spin the oil pump and look for oil gushing out of the engine somewhere. Wherever the oil is gushing out, is where we were loosing pressure. That sounds more reasonable. #-o

The priming shafts were not available back then from Mopar, but I had a welding class in high school. (we built the engine and it sat for a few years before I put it in my car as I was 16 now). So I bought an allen wrench and cut the small end off and welded it to a 3/8 steel bar in class one day. So I pull the engine out for the 4th time now, put it on the stand and spin the pump... Nothing... :violent1:

We did not have our big garage built in back yet, and were renting a 7 car warehouse in an industrial strip "mall". So I'm hanging out in the warehouse, and my brother and his friend come by and he sees the priming shaft and drill in my engine and just HAD TO MESS WITH IT. (You know how annoying older brothers can be - monkey see, monkey play...). So he hits the drill trigger and spins the pump. I was standing about 6 feet in front of the engine and a jet of oil squirted out and almost hit me. I freak out and tell him to do that again (he thought that I was pissed and mad at him for a second). He hits the trigger again and the oil squirted out from behind the thrust plate. I yell, "there's the problem..." So I took the camshaft thrust plate off and the galley plugs were missing. :banghead:

The oil didn't squirt out when I was priming the engine, but when he did which tells me that it may sometimes seal them, and sometimes not. I went to the parts store that did the machine work and the a--hole only gave me the two plugs to install, not even offering me a set of gaskets or any money back for his short comings. I changed parts stores/machine shops after that. :finga:

When I installed the plugs and put the engine back in for the 5th time now. (I got to where I could put it together, installed, and started in 17 hours by myself after doing it so many times. - by the way, my main and rod bearings were still good as I suspected). The oil pressure now went to 65 cold start and 50-55 warm. Never had an oil pressure problem with that engine after that. :cheers:

So with the oil not squirting when I spun the pump, and then doing it when my brother did, that indicates that it can also be that way in the car, on and off with the pressure. Now I check every engine for those. After having to pull that engine 5 times, I will never make that mistake again... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thanks. That will make it easy to keep my old pre-'69 water pump, p/s, alternator, and radiator when I put in the 360-based stroker I plan on installing. I know about the balancer. Wouldn't ever trust a new one to be marked correctly anyways!

Yes, I would just keep the original balancer for the 360 only, and re-use the old style timing chain, water pump to work with your radiator and power steering set up that originally came in your car.

I just looked at some of my galley plug kits.

I also bought a few "complete block hardware" kits from Year One. MP part # P5249261AB.

It's a complete "block hardware kit" with all of the freeze plugs, galley plugs, distributor bushing, oil filter plate, gasket and "screw", and dowel pins. I'm sure it costs more than the "more basic" kit in the link from Mancini above, but I would try to see if Mancini would have a better price on it if I were doing a complete rebuild. Here's what the instruction sheet lists:

plug-kit-instr-a02-b2-jpg.1714749401

View attachment Plug kit instr A02 B2.jpg

Of course, they don't list any part numbers or plug size in the list for the oil galley plugs, so I took one out of the kit and measured it for you. Here's what the smaller leading edge measures:

cup-plug-small-end-02-b-jpg.1714749402

View attachment Cup plug small end 02 b.jpg

Here's what the larger end measures at the edge of the plug (they are slightly tapered):

cup-plug-big-end-01-b-jpg.1714749403

View attachment Cup plug big end 01 b.jpg

The instruction sheet says that it is for all 64 - 92 LA engines and 92 - 03 magnum engines. I would go to a dealer and have them look it up. If they don't have a listing for the older LA engines, then have them look it up as an 02 or 02 magnum engine. They may still be available through the dealers....

If you can't find one, PM me and I can split a kit and help you out. I'm sure one of my engines I may do a quick refresh and not need to replace them.

They should be somewhere between 9/16" or 19/32" as a ball park figure. It's best to use the numbers shown in the pictures above to make sure that you get the right ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested, I found a couple part numbers for these front lifter galley plugs

Dorman: 555-009

Sealed Power: 381-3054

For anyone interested, I found a couple part numbers for these front lifter galley plugs

Dorman: 555-009

Sealed Power: 381-3054

Great info. This thread is also posted in the "How to Section" so all information will be available in the future to everyone.

Keep on updating as we get more info. :cheers:

When installing the timing chain, I like to get the gears set before I install them and then turn the cam to line up with how the timing chain and gears are set. You should line up the mark on the cam gear to be at 6 o'clock, and the timing mark for the crankshaft at 12 o'clock. You also can put the cam mark at 12 o'clock and the crank gear at 12 o'clock, it will just be on the intake stroke instead of the compression stroke, but you can account for that when you install the distributor.

Here is a picture of the BACK of the oil slinger. It goes on the crankshaft after the crankshaft timing gear. It fits loosely (but is held in place when the vibration damper is installed). Notice that the "flare" on the outside, this goes outward toward the front of the car, away from the gear (if you put it toward the gear, the slinger will get all chewed
View attachment 1714746442

Here is a shot of the front of the oil slinger. Notice the flare coming outward. This is the side that goes away from the timing gears when installed:

View attachment 1714746443

Here's a shot of the front of the engine all put together.

View attachment 1714746444

Here's a closer shot:

View attachment 1714746445

Here are two shots from an old worn engine. This is an old 318 with the old single chain and nylon coated gear. Notice how some of the nylon plastic has chipped off of the gears and the chain is so stretched, that it literally slipped off. This is why I run only double rollers and usually upgrade to the true roller double roller chains:

View attachment 1714746446

Another shot:

View attachment 1714746447

Now you can install the timing chain cover and water pump.

Hello I'm not using the fuel pump going elect as far as the the eccentric if I don't use it do they make a washer I can buy ???

Great thread, sure will help a lot of folks out. FWIW, back when I could still work, I changed the timing chain on a '90 or '91 Dakota 3.9L V6. The timing cover had the oil dripper cast into it. It served the dual purpose of making a hell of a racket when the timing chain stretched. Might be a way to go if you need a dripper and can't find one.

Hey Karl/Folks,

Can you tell me which of the water pump/timing cover bolts require sealer to prevent coolant leaks? Marked the old bolts when I pulled them, but like a dummy cleaned them w/o noting which ones had sealer on them :banghead: Ended up getting new fasteners anyway....

Be well and thanks in advance.

Pat

Hey Karl/Folks,

Can you tell me which of the water pump/timing cover bolts require sealer to prevent coolant leaks? Marked the old bolts when I pulled them, but like a dummy cleaned them w/o noting which ones had sealer on them :banghead: Ended up getting new fasteners anyway....

Be well and thanks in advance.

Pat

I believe that it's all four of the long bolts. I know a couple of the go into the water jacket for sure.

I also use the silver powder "stop leak" and it will seal them after everything is together. Don't use Bar's leak, it will clog the heater core - too thick.

K I'm stuck I bought a cloyds true dnt roller it's has 3 keyways I'm using std o now when I bring up num 1 cyl compression stroke and put crank gear on it doesn't line up ? There are two zeros on gear one by teeth and one by the notch which one do I use?

-
Back