I Think I Don't Want These Computers in Cars Anymore

-
IMO "turn of the century" was the "just right" amount of tech in cars.

My 2000 Dakota R/T is probably the newest vehicle I can still work on.

...and it's not terribly difficult.

94 still isn't bad for computers in cars, that is still the EEC-4 and it's a very primitive computer compared to what they use now.

In 94 the speedometer might be less dependant on a computer than you might think. It's usually a little gear that goes on the end of a speed sensor. It's mostly mechanical.

I just went through this with a 91 ford pickup and it was the gear was warped from heat.

Could be a 15 dollar fix for you like it was for me.

View attachment 1716293270

View attachment 1716293271
True, 90s cars and truck are still kind of easy to deal with, but my sensor failure and pretty much disabling the transmission from working properly reminds me of the bs issues I've seen on the newer stuff from 2007 and up. I'll probably have the old truck easly working again if the parts are easy to get.

Last edited:
I think those features are less of a "nanny state" thing than it is some engineer saying "hey look what I made" and it becoming part of production.

I worked on cars for a living until the 80s, when all this stuff started. I decided that if I was going to have to deal with electronics and computers, I might as well go all the way so I got a CS degree and stopped beating myself up for a living.
I swear these engineers' designing cars sit around a table and say, wait till someone has to fix this ha ha ha .

I love my old 07 PT Cruiser. Just had it towed in for dying at a stop.
Tech said it was the TIPM computer. Chrysler no longer has the part. They did what was called a Hard Reboot.
Was running fine, But couldn't say if it would last. The guy said "Could be 10 days or 10 years".
Also said they have had bad luck with rebuilt TIPM's. I found a company on line (MAKS) that had the part "New".
$900 later and swapping it myself I have my fingers crossed.

Sorry but I don't believe we would see the performance we see now without computers, both in the cars and in the office.

Come on, a 1000+ hp Corvette? That your grandma could probably drive, assuming she is limber enough to climb into it? Show me the Superman/woman that is going to drive that without killing him/herself if the ABS/TC is turned off?

A 500 hp motor that get's 25 mpg and can be daily driven and/or road tripped? Not going to get both without a computer.

And last I remembered, while the government is forcing things down our throats it is the public that is buying the stuff that is making cars overly complex. Can you find a car that comes with AC only as an option? If not, it's because the automakers are competing with each other and the buying public is willing to pay for those options so they become standard. Another example is the manual transmission, they aren't dying only because they are losing in the efficiency camp but because people aren't buying them. There are automakers still offering them because they cater to enthusiasts and know that in those markets a manual makes them attractive, but most markets dropped them because they didn't sell and spending development money on them didn't make sense. So if anything, we need to point the finger at the sheep buying the cars (which includes us), not the government.

That said, I am all for simpler cars. I don't need or want power seats and wish they offered a manual seat option. The last thing I want in any of my cars is WiFi. I hate self driving cars and the direction I think that will go. But I do like the way they can integrate stuff and do things like turn the radio volume up when speed increases (not a need, just a nice feature). And when that same transmission can change the shift schedule and firmness at the push of a button? I'm all on board then.

Trick is, we have to accept the bad with the good sometimes. There are always compromises. Is a speed sensor annoying when it goes out and the trans is blind and forces it into limp mode? Sure, that sucks. But when the trans can use that info to perform better and the speedometer needle doesn't bounce anymore or the cable squeak, maybe it is worth the discomfort once every 30 years.

Complaining about all computers in cars is like saying I'm never going to take another breath so I never have to smell a fart again.

My old neighbor has 2019 Ram pick-up with a Hemi. Only 9K miles on it. The truck will just shut off. I googled it and was amazed at how many have this problem and no one saying what was wrong.

My old neighbor has 2019 Ram pick-up with a Hemi. Only 9K miles on it. The truck will just shut off. I googled it and was amazed at how many have this problem and no one saying what was wrong.

To be clear, not arguing that there aren't problems nor that they haven't gotten too complex.

Nor am I saying that everyone should just ignore those problems and drive cars with computers.

I guess my point was that they come with some benefits, and if you don't want them then be ready to give those up. For some that is exactly what they will do, good for them.

I've serious wondered if I could take one of the 'electronic' overdrive automatics from a Magnum pickup, and just make a key pad that electrically operates each gear.

#1 is first gear, button 2 is 2nd, and so on. An electronic pushbutton manual automatic.

The best vehicle I've ever owned, that was easy to maintain, was great on gas, everyone loved it and it was a blast to drive in any weather was my 1970 VW Beetle. I don't need 500hp or 1000hp, or a tv screen to back up. If they ever built those versions again with some improvements my guess is the econo boxes would be sitting in the car lots with batteries draining.

My rant is less about computers in cars and more about piss poor quality in general. My 91 year old mother was headed to an appointment earlier this week in her 2012 Chevy Equinox when it **** the bed on a very busy road. Thing just died outright on her, so she had it towed to the repair shop, and was told the timing chain tensioner crapped out, engine is finished. It has about 110k miles on it, 2.4 Ecotec pos. Sad part is the car is still in reasonably good condition, but not worth repairing as the cost would be more than it's worth. What really bothers me is that she and her dimwitted husband think that's ok, the car served them well. What?! It's only got 110k on it! What's worse is the dimwit just spent $7500.00 on a clapped out 2000 Mustang convertible with 150k miles because, "oh, I bought it from a buddy and he said it was a good car". ******* thing is a rusty pile of crap, and I am a Mustang guy!
So now she's all stressed out about having to buy another car and the cost, etc.
Rant over

A neighbor bought a used vehicle, third trip to Kentucky and trans starts acting funny. Went back to dealership, had to rent a car to get home, waited a week to find out it was a pinch wire that eroded the insulation and would ocassionly ground out. OR... the $1500 bill to replace a headlight assembly and "reprogram" it!

My rant is less about computers in cars and more about piss poor quality in general. My 91 year old mother was headed to an appointment earlier this week in her 2012 Chevy Equinox when it **** the bed on a very busy road. Thing just died outright on her, so she had it towed to the repair shop, and was told the timing chain tensioner crapped out, engine is finished. It has about 110k miles on it, 2.4 Ecotec pos. Sad part is the car is still in reasonably good condition, but not worth repairing as the cost would be more than it's worth. What really bothers me is that she and her dimwitted husband think that's ok, the car served them well. What?! It's only got 110k on it! What's worse is the dimwit just spent $7500.00 on a clapped out 2000 Mustang convertible with 150k miles because, "oh, I bought it from a buddy and he said it was a good car". ******* thing is a rusty pile of crap, and I am a Mustang guy!
So now she's all stressed out about having to buy another car and the cost, etc.
Rant over

Takes a good game plan to stay ahead of the 8 Ball in today's world.

No Plan = Pay, Pay, Pay. The people accepting the money usually don't have the car owner's best interests in mind.

By design they want people coming back to the dealers and bankers to buy new.

Not for me, prior planning prevents piss poor production. Kind of feel sorry for people who don't know anything about cars, but not really cause they should have taken the time to learn.

20200608_134533.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Trick is, we have to accept the bad with the good sometimes. There are always compromises. Is a speed sensor annoying when it goes out and the trans is blind and forces it into limp mode? Sure, that sucks. But when the trans can use that info to perform better and the speedometer needle doesn't bounce anymore or the cable squeak, maybe it is worth the discomfort once every 30 years.

Complaining about all computers in cars is like saying I'm never going to take another breath so I never have to smell a fart again.
I'm not all against having computers in cars, I was just in one of those moods and proud to own a basic functioning Mopar from the 70's. What I'm not cool with is that computer control excessiveness in modern cars now and the way these sadistic engineers design and implement everything. It's getting out control with the minor features that require permission from a computer to work, trust me, I have experience with some of the problems created by the evil engineering. Fixing a headlight that keeps turning off should not cost $1500 to fix because the BCM is corrupt. Marker lights that turn on and drain the battery even though the switch is turned off should not happen, but the BCM says yes. The parking brake, simple transmission shifter and door handles operating the latches should not be electronic controlled by a computer also making tow rates more expensive.

A lot of people think most of this tech in cars is evolution, but it's actually de-evolution.

Last edited:
I'm not all against having computers in cars, I was just in one of those moods and proud to own a basic functioning Mopar from the 70's. What I'm not cool with is that computer control excessiveness in modern cars now and the way these sadistic engineers design and implement everything. It's getting out control with the minor features that require permission from a computer to work, trust me, I have experience with some of the problems created by the evil engineering. Fixing a headlight that keeps turning off should not cost $1500 to fix because the BCM is corrupt. Marker lights that turn on and drain the battery even though the switch is turned off should not happen, but the BCM says yes. The parking brake, simple transmission shifter and door handles operating the latches should not be electronic controlled by a computer also making tow rates more expensive.

A lot of people think most of this tech in cars is evolution, but it's actually de-evolution.
That's exactly what happen to my 2002 Ram 1500 after jump starting a friends car. The BCM went bad causing the high beam to blink on and off and finally came out of a store and my windshield wipers and washers were on. I stood there in disbelief. $700.00 fixed it.

Takes a good game plan to stay ahead of the 8 Ball in today's world.

No Plan = Pay, Pay, Pay. The people accepting the money usually don't have the car owner's best interests in mind.

By design they want people coming back to the dealers and bankers to buy new.

Not for me, prior planning prevents piss poor production. Kind of feel sorry for people who don't know anything about cars, but not really cause they should have taken the time to learn.

View attachment 1716293462

☆☆☆☆☆
Very true, I tried to tell them to get rid of that Equinox long ago, but dimwit is adamant that he knows all. The same evening that the thing died, he's telling me on the phone that he was at the local Chevrolet dealership that afternoon and while there a nearly identical Equinox came in on trade. Oh but it belonged to a relative of an employee so the dealership knows the car and its been looked after, blah blah blah, how many people have fallen for that line of bullshit. Why would you buy another pile of crap like the one that just screwed you? I don't get it.

Sorry but I don't believe we would see the performance we see now without computers, both in the cars and in the office.

Come on, a 1000+ hp Corvette? That your grandma could probably drive, assuming she is limber enough to climb into it? Show me the Superman/woman that is going to drive that without killing him/herself if the ABS/TC is turned off?

A 500 hp motor that get's 25 mpg and can be daily driven and/or road tripped? Not going to get both without a computer.

And last I remembered, while the government is forcing things down our throats it is the public that is buying the stuff that is making cars overly complex. Can you find a car that comes with AC only as an option? If not, it's because the automakers are competing with each other and the buying public is willing to pay for those options so they become standard. Another example is the manual transmission, they aren't dying only because they are losing in the efficiency camp but because people aren't buying them. There are automakers still offering them because they cater to enthusiasts and know that in those markets a manual makes them attractive, but most markets dropped them because they didn't sell and spending development money on them didn't make sense. So if anything, we need to point the finger at the sheep buying the cars (which includes us), not the government.

That said, I am all for simpler cars. I don't need or want power seats and wish they offered a manual seat option. The last thing I want in any of my cars is WiFi. I hate self driving cars and the direction I think that will go. But I do like the way they can integrate stuff and do things like turn the radio volume up when speed increases (not a need, just a nice feature). And when that same transmission can change the shift schedule and firmness at the push of a button? I'm all on board then.

Yeah, but not everybody wants or is interested in that type of vehicle. I never have been.

I agree, the public buys what is out there, but I also disagree, in that the automakers put unnecessary crap in vehicles that we don't need, but help drive up costs therefore profits, that the public then buys because it's out there. No in orders a car like they did in the 60's or 70's. It's often a case of buy what is available. Just like my 2020 Charger Widebody. There's no way I would have ordered a sunroof, the adaptive cruise control and lane departure nonsense. I live in the country, I don't need any of the things that tell me if I'm over the line, or I'm following too close. I don't care for sunroofs, heavy and I don't use them. But it's how the car was when I bought it, so I'm fine with that, but those are things that will never get used by me.

Yeah, but not everybody wants or is interested in that type of vehicle. I never have been.

Which is why I said this:

I guess my point was that they come with some benefits, and if you don't want them then be ready to give those up. For some that is exactly what they will do, good for them.

Not saying you should be on board. I'm not on board with having GPS in the car or WiFi connectivity. Comes down to what you want.

Which is one nice thing about building your own. I can put EFI and maybe ABS in my '73 Duster, but I don't have to have power seats or someone watching over my shoulder.

Last edited:
I agree, the public buys what is out there, but I also disagree, in that the automakers put unnecessary crap in vehicles that we don't need, but help drive up costs therefore profits, that the public then buys because it's out there. No in orders a car like they did in the 60's or 70's. It's often a case of buy what is available. Just like my 2020 Charger Widebody. There's no way I would have ordered a sunroof, the adaptive cruise control and lane departure nonsense. I live in the country, I don't need any of the things that tell me if I'm over the line, or I'm following too close. I don't care for sunroofs, heavy and I don't use them. But it's how the car was when I bought it, so I'm fine with that, but those are things that will never get used by me.

Really good point, not something I thought about when I made the comment. The OEM's all put together "packages" so if you want something you usually have to buy stuff you don't want. I wanted blind spot detection if I bought another Challenger, but pretty sure it was part of the Tech group that has stuff I didn't want like adaptive cruise or heated/cooled seats or something. Certainly it makes sense to group bigger brakes with more horsepower but the rest is purely a money grab to force you to pay for stuff you don't want and wouldn't order otherwise. Another example was the STP package, if you wanted access to Performance Pages you had to get the 8.4 screen which usually meant you had to order the Plus package and get a stereo system with an amp and more speakers. I know the 8.4 worked fine with the base speakers and no amp because I swapped on into my R/T but good luck trying to buy it that way.

Good point.

heated/cooled seats
I've had heated seats before, didn't use them much, but that cooling feature has been really nice the couple times I've used it. My Scat Pack is a Plus, but has the base radio with no sub, and I hardly ever use it. When I do, it's more than enough for rne, just another sign I'm old.

Lots of great rants but it seems everyone has forgotten how unreliable and unsafe the pre-2000 cars and trucks were. Always something breaking. Consumer Reports lists the most reliable cars for each year—few are American. Jeep is always at the bottom. Soon the cars will all be self-driving and controlled by AI. Only Musk will be able to afford manual-driving auto insurance.

Most of my pre 2000 junk was the most reliable stuff I driven. POS Geo Metro I got for a case of beer was dependable and cost nothing to operate. Granted I would have died if I hit a squirrel. Most of my 70's stuff was good with minimal maintenance, and would go through most trees without as much as a scratch. My 90's Dodges and plymouths did require some work but we're like a Timex watch, took a licking and kept on ticking. I sold a Dodge shadow, and the family I sold it to fought over who got to drive it!

I'm not defended my the lack of quality in cars back in the day, just saying I had some good runs with those old piles I picked up for next to nothing.

"WE" got a new vehicle that "WE" both can drive but mostly mine. Routine to go: unlock door, open door, hit unlock button to open rear door and put cooler and box on back seat. Get in, close door, hit lock button. Seat belt on, key in ignition and start. Press "auto start shut-off" ( so it stays running when you stop ), push button to release parking brake-make sure foot is on brake pedal, turn knob to "D", rotate knob twice to turn lights off during day, press last button below screen to turn all the stuff of and just leave the clock on. I think that's it...unless you want to pick a "mode" other than normal to drive in or turn off traction control.

-
Back