Jehovah's Witnesses

-
Sorry, it was 47 scholars. That's what Wikipedia says. My memory says 70 but I'd have to do some digging to verify.

Still 47 compared to 2?

Another interesting note...Wikipedia says that the KJV of the Bible requires an 8-10 grade reading level. Like I said, I have maybe a 9th grade reading level.

Do we really need a version that takes less education?

And now, a true story "from the old days."

Right after I bought this house, ??early 80's?? I guess, one rainy cold early spring Sunday I was in the house, half expecting a buddy to come over, sitting on the couch cleaning all the weaponry, at that moment I was "on" the 30-30 (Model 94)

The knock came at the door, and I stood up, the rifle in my arms, and looked out the front window to see if it was my friend.

I could not see who was on the porch, but THERE WERE TWO PEOPLE ON THE LAWN directly in front of the big window, looking in to see as I was looking out at THEM. They took one look at what I had in my arms, and LEFT. And, they did not come back for a LONG TIME

I remember once Daddy opened the door and said, "get the **** off my property" and closed the door. I never remember them coming back. Now the Mormons, he would let in and talk to.

And now, a true story "from the old days."

Right after I bought this house, ??early 80's?? I guess, one rainy cold early spring Sunday I was in the house, half expecting a buddy to come over, sitting on the couch cleaning all the weaponry, at that moment I was "on" the 30-30 (Model 94)

The knock came at the door, and I stood up, the rifle in my arms, and looked out the front window to see if it was my friend.

I could not see who was on the porch, but THERE WERE TWO PEOPLE ON THE LAWN directly in front of the big window, looking in to see as I was looking out at THEM. They took one look at what I had in my arms, and LEFT. And, they did not come back for a LONG TIME

Years back (okay, 6 years ago?) A friend of mine had just got back from 2 tours over in the sandbox with the Marines. He needed a place to stay, and I offered him a spare room in my house.

One morning, we're sitting in the living room, recovering from a hard night a drinking after attending a rock concert. There's a knock at the door (and mind you, this is a house that supports guns, tobacco and alcohol) and we're both in boxers and t-shirts for 80's bands. My buddy grabs a 357 revolver and shoves it into the waistband of his boxers (we lived out in the middle of nowhere) and answers the door, while I grabbed my 45 Long Colt revolver. My friend looked back at me and shook his head, mouthing the words "Jehovah's Witnesses."

While he went out to greet them I grabbed a bottle of Jack Daniels off the coffee table and followed him out to the porch... Those 2 ladies didn't know what hit them when 2 half dressed (straight, I have to mention) guys wandered through the door, packing guns and carrying whiskey. We plopped down on to the chairs on the porch and I thought the one woman was going to faint when I stretched out (while taking a drink from the bottle of jack), and she got a good look at both the barrel of the 45 and the other "barrel" that were both poking through the bottom of my boxers. My buddy starts snickering. "So, what's the good word?"

They left in a hurry and I've never had a Jehovah's Witness knock on my door again, even after my friend got married and bought his own house.

I remember once Daddy opened the door and said, "get the **** off my property" and closed the door. I never remember them coming back. Now the Mormons, he would let in and talk to.

I actually had a "big" problem with two very young Mormons a few years back. I happened to be in the house, getting something, but was working out back. For reasons that escape me, I opened the door. I admit I was already working on a bad mood.

One of them made the BIG mistake of asking something provocative. I have no idea, anymore, what he said. But whatever it was REALLY REALLY ticked me off. I told them "you have about 10 seconds to get the **** off my property and get out in the street!"

One of them turned down the steps, but the other just stood there. I was FURIOUS. I came t...h...a...t close to charging out the door and tackling that young bastard right into the ground.

I later called the local whatever-it's called and told whoever it was that "next time someone tells your people to leave, they'd better be LEAVING!!"

I'll look into this, but first, you have to tell me what manuscript you are reading. That will cut down my study time. What manuscript?
Have been watching a guy (old marine) on tv that read and spoke Hebrew, greek, Italian, eng, and spanish. when he talks and gives numbers, original manuscripts in both greek and Hebrew, I try to look up what he says, so far I`ve learned a bunch. He had a bunch in his head, like Jack Van Empie---(spelling) , he passed away in his 80`s in 2012, now his son is carrying on. dish carries his channel 24-7, I`m told. direct tv has his channel about 20-21 hrs a day. "sheppards chapel", watch it and learn the truth. The kjv is right but there are a lot of translations that are toned down. I think GOD must have wanted it that way. All of what he says, baked up w/ facts out of it. be careful there are more than one kind out there.

They hit my house about once a month. I'm friendly, polite and hospitable. I ask them how their day is going, we talk about yard work, the owls nesting in my tree, the corn field across the street, their children's school work, or whatever comes to mind. I find them to be nice decent people and I let them know that they're welcome any time.
------------------
Best to be nice. Two of the last three times, was a guy and his wife, man she was a knock out, very sexy. I let them know I`m a member of my church, they ask which denomination and leave.

Have been watching a guy (old marine) on tv that read and spoke Hebrew, greek, Italian, eng, and spanish. when he talks and gives numbers, original manuscripts in both greek and Hebrew, I try to look up what he says, so far I`ve learned a bunch. He had a bunch in his head, like Jack Van Empie---(spelling) , he passed away in his 80`s in 2012, now his son is carrying on. dish carries his channel 24-7, I`m told. direct tv has his channel about 20-21 hrs a day. "sheppards chapel", watch it and learn the truth. The kjv is right but there are a lot of translations that are toned down. I think GOD must have wanted it that way. All of what he says, baked up w/ facts out of it. be careful there are more than one kind out there.

I'll check it out if I can find it. Always willing to learn. I have direct tv so is the show called sheppards chapel or is that the name of the channel?

Not trying to stir the pot, @yellow rose Your Info regarding the NWT is completely inaccurate and obviously biased. I'm not trying to change anyone's beliefs. That could be a huge waste of each other's time. But since you criticized the NWT, you should know this.. prior to publishing the NWT, we used the KJ Bible among others. One of the primary reasons we published the NWT was to restore Gods personal name where other translations had replaced it with different 'titles' such as "God Almighty, Sovereign Lord, and Creator". If you check your own Bible it may still be there @ Psalm 83:18. God wants us to use his personal name, and Jesus encouraged us to use his name: Matthew 6:9 and John 17:26.

In regards to the NWT, as I pointed out earlier, if someone prefers to use their own favorite Bible, the Truth can still be found there, and we're happy to study the Bible with those who prefer to use their own Bible! It's absolutely absurd to accuse us of changing anything to fit our beliefs. That's an outright lie. Read this from our official website: Have Jehovah’s Witnesses Changed the Bible to Fit Their Beliefs? | FAQ

It's really unfortunate that some of you have had bad experiences with JW's coming to your home. We certainly mean no harm, but we take serious Jesus' command to share the good news with others. Many many people have welcomed us into their homes to learn about the message from the Bible. Even if they want to use their own copy of the Bible, we are able to share the good news with them.

Know what else? We NEVER solicit money from our members or visitors. NEVER do we pass a collection plate or ask for tithes. We don't charge to perform weddings, funerals, or baptisms. Jesus said 'you received free; give free'. We don't charge for our literature either. Prior to 1950, when the NWT was released, we had to purchase Bibles from other publishers. But we made them available to the public at wholesale cost. Today we operate a world class publishing operation. We make the Bible available to anyone wanting one, in dozens of languages, to anyone wanting one. Free of charge.

Yes, religion is corrupt, as was pointed out by someone earlier. Greed and love of money has been a driving force with many religious organizations. Look at the tel-evangelists and the massive fortunes they have amassed. It's disgusting. That could hardly be said about Jehovahs Witnesses. Our desire is to teach people the Bible's message. There is no monetary gain.. in fact, we spend a fair amount of time and our own money keeping gas in the tank, to reach as many as possible with the good news!

"We come from hundreds of ethnic and language backgrounds, yet we are united by common goals. Above all, we want to honor Jehovah, the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things. We do our best to imitate Jesus Christ and are proud to be called Christians. Each of us regularly spends time helping people learn about the Bible and God’s Kingdom. Because we witness, or talk, about Jehovah God and his Kingdom, we are known as Jehovah’s Witnesses."

If you're really interested in knowing Truth about the Bible's message, you have the opportunity to prove for yourself, with your own Bible, the facts about things like the trinity, hellfire, the condition of the dead, and endless other topics. Our official website, jw.org is designed to give you the opportunity to use your own Bible and find answers to life's big questions. It's available in 889 languages. That's not a typo. People from all over the world are able to do their own research from the comforts of their own homes. It's free of charge.

Every church I've been involved with has made it to that point, and near that blatently. Tell someone you've become somewhat financially successful and watch how quickly they bring you into the fold.

You would like my pastor
His in laws won $250.000,00 in the lottery one day
(That is a quarter of a millions dollars)
Guess what he preached on the following Sunday?
It wasn't tithing, it was the evils of gambling

Not to derail the thread but if you want to sell those boxes PM me. But do NOT, do not PM me without telling me with a notice in a thread. I do not get notices that I have PM's and I may never see it. I screwed a FABO member on a tunnel ram because I didn't see his PM. I was waiting to hear from someone else about a top for it. Luckily, it appears he sold it so I didn't cost him a sale.

Why I don't get those notices I have no idea.
it's your FABO preference settings - every time I get a PM (no matter how old or new the conversation is), it generates an email to me.. I have never missed a single PM

You would like my pastor
His in laws won $250.000,00 in the lottery one day
(That is a quarter of a millions dollars)
Guess what he preached on the following Sunday?
It wasn't tithing, it was the evils of gambling
Sounds about right. When I was younger I did a lot of searching before coming to the conclusion that the only thing organized church is about is money and politics. Last one I was in had a coffee shop inside it that rivaled a Starbucks. The sheeple were lined up drinking the kool-aid and eating muffins. Then you have the he said/she said crap that develops as you get further involved.

it's your FABO preference settings - every time I get a PM (no matter how old or new the conversation is), it generates an email to me.. I have never missed a single PM
Thanks Bud, for letting me know you're ignoring me.:poke::lol:

I watch that! That man has an amazing message and I just wish I could have went to his church.

Not trying to stir the pot, @yellow rose Your Info regarding the NWT is completely inaccurate and obviously biased. I'm not trying to change anyone's beliefs. That could be a huge waste of each other's time. But since you criticized the NWT, you should know this.. prior to publishing the NWT, we used the KJ Bible among others. One of the primary reasons we published the NWT was to restore Gods personal name where other translations had replaced it with different 'titles' such as "God Almighty, Sovereign Lord, and Creator". If you check your own Bible it may still be there @ Psalm 83:18. God wants us to use his personal name, and Jesus encouraged us to use his name: Matthew 6:9 and John 17:26.

In regards to the NWT, as I pointed out earlier, if someone prefers to use their own favorite Bible, the Truth can still be found there, and we're happy to study the Bible with those who prefer to use their own Bible! It's absolutely absurd to accuse us of changing anything to fit our beliefs. That's an outright lie. Read this from our official website: Have Jehovah’s Witnesses Changed the Bible to Fit Their Beliefs? | FAQ

It's really unfortunate that some of you have had bad experiences with JW's coming to your home. We certainly mean no harm, but we take serious Jesus' command to share the good news with others. Many many people have welcomed us into their homes to learn about the message from the Bible. Even if they want to use their own copy of the Bible, we are able to share the good news with them.

Know what else? We NEVER solicit money from our members or visitors. NEVER do we pass a collection plate or ask for tithes. We don't charge to perform weddings, funerals, or baptisms. Jesus said 'you received free; give free'. We don't charge for our literature either. Prior to 1950, when the NWT was released, we had to purchase Bibles from other publishers. But we made them available to the public at wholesale cost. Today we operate a world class publishing operation. We make the Bible available to anyone wanting one, in dozens of languages, to anyone wanting one. Free of charge.

Yes, religion is corrupt, as was pointed out by someone earlier. Greed and love of money has been a driving force with many religious organizations. Look at the tel-evangelists and the massive fortunes they have amassed. It's disgusting. That could hardly be said about Jehovahs Witnesses. Our desire is to teach people the Bible's message. There is no monetary gain.. in fact, we spend a fair amount of time and our own money keeping gas in the tank, to reach as many as possible with the good news!

"We come from hundreds of ethnic and language backgrounds, yet we are united by common goals. Above all, we want to honor Jehovah, the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things. We do our best to imitate Jesus Christ and are proud to be called Christians. Each of us regularly spends time helping people learn about the Bible and God’s Kingdom. Because we witness, or talk, about Jehovah God and his Kingdom, we are known as Jehovah’s Witnesses."

If you're really interested in knowing Truth about the Bible's message, you have the opportunity to prove for yourself, with your own Bible, the facts about things like the trinity, hellfire, the condition of the dead, and endless other topics. Our official website, jw.org is designed to give you the opportunity to use your own Bible and find answers to life's big questions. It's available in 889 languages. That's not a typo. People from all over the world are able to do their own research from the comforts of their own homes. It's free of charge.

Where does your money come from, if not from tithing of members? Something is missing here.

When I have the time I'll prove you wrong. Do you even know who Wescott and Hort were? If you did, you'd stop using the bible you are.

I can pick the NWT apart like a biscuit. Any first year bible student can.

Again, is Christ God or not. Your version says no. That's bad.

Second thing. I have compared the NWT and KJV. I worked for two JW's so it came up. We can't study together because I refuse to use a corrupt translation. BTW, they are two of the most honorable, compassionate, HONEST, truthful, caring people I know. I consider them dear friends. I would work for them any time, anywhere. So I don't have a hard on to bash JW's. But I have to call things as I see them.

As to Gods personal name, you couldn't be more incorrect. Your version doesn't restore His name. It Co-opts the work of Christ and wrongly gives it to the Father. Again, because you won't accept Chrsit as God, equal to the Father, you can never get the correct name. I mean, really, have you read Luke 24:13-49? You can't get it both ways. Either Christ is the Creator and the entire bible is a history of His work for His people or He is an imposter. If the latter be true, then there is no God at all.

God does have a personal name. Do you use the KJV?

Here is a quote from the KJV: (found at Exodus 6:3)
Exodus 6:3-7King James Version (KJV)
3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Some may argue that Gods personal name is "too holy" for humans to pronounce, hence it was left out of many translations and replaced with different titles such as "Almighty" But Jesus wants his followers to use Gods personal name. (Matt 6:9, John 17:26 for example) True, we may not have the exact pronunciation, as the name was translated from the original text from the consonants "YHWH" (read from right to left) but interestingly, neither do we have the exact pronunciation of Gods son, Jesus, for the exact same reason.

As I've said, the Truth can be found in most any widely recognized Bible translation.

Here is a little something to think about (another informative, but short video regarding Gods personal name): Does God Have A Name?:

What Is God’s Name? Does God Have a Name? | Videos

Does God Have a Name? | Bible Questions

Here is a list of random words (pulled off the web) that are used in the KJV. Sure, some of them you'll recognize, but it's obviously not a list of words you will use in daily conversation. This alone is a pretty valid reason for a translation into modern language.

AGUE
AMERCE
AMETHYST
ANON
ASP
ASSAYED
ASSWAGED
AUL
AUSTERE
AXLTREE
BDELLIUM
BERYL
BESOM
BEWRAY
BLAINS
BOISTROUS
BOLLED
BOLSTER
BOTCH
BRIGANDINE
BRUIT
CALAMUS
CALKERS
CAMPFIRE
CARBUNCLE
CASSIA
CAUL
CELESTIAL
CHALCEDONY
CHAMBERLAIN
CHAMOIS
CHAPITER
CHECKER
CHIDE
CHRYSOLITE
CHRYSOPHRASUS
CIRCUMSPECT
CIRCUMSPECTLY
CLEMENCY
CLOUTED
CLOUTS
CONCUPISCENCE
CONY
COPING
COPULATION
CRISPING PINS
CUMBERED
DANDLED
DEARTH
DISCREET
DISSEMBLED
DISSEMBLERS
DISSEMBLETH
DISSIMULATION
ENSUE
ESCHEW
ESCHEWED
ESCHEWETH
ENUCH
EXTOL
FITCHES
FLUX
FRAY
FRET
GAINSAY
GALBANUM
GARLANDS
GLISTER
GREAVES
HABERGEON
HELVE
HIGGAION
HOARY
IGNOMINY
IMMUTABILITY
IMPORTUNITY
INCONTINENT
INDITING
JACINTH
JASPER
JUSTIFY
KINE
KNOP
LASCIVIOUSNESS
LEES
LIGN-ALOES
LIGURE
LOWRING
LUCRE
MANDRAKES
MANTLE
MAW
METEYARD
MILCH
MINCING
MOLLIFIED
MURRAIN
NITRE
ODIOUS
ONYCHA
OSSIFRAGE
OUCHES
PATRIMONY
PENURY
PERADVENTURE
PILLED
PLAITING
PROPITIATION
PROPITIOUS
PURLOINING
PYGARG
RAIL
RAVENING
RECONCILE
REPROBATE
RIGOUR [RIGOR]
SAPPHIRE
SARDINE [SARDIUS]
SARDONYX
SATIATE
SCALL
SCHISM
SEETHE
SELVEDGE
SIGNET
SINEW
STACTE
STANCHED
STRAKES
STROWED
SUCCOR
SUPERFLUITY
SURFEITING
SURMISING
SYCAMINE
TABOR
TACHE
TENONS
TERRAPHIM
TERRESTRIAL
TETRARCH
THYINE
TOPAZ
TOW
TROW
UNCTION
UPBRAID
VERMILION
VOID
WIMPLE

Last edited:
Not to get into the bashing of one faith or church, and why I retracted what I said several post earlier....
Now I will participate in God's name. Without giving a Bible study, here are just a couple of many, many passages in the KJV that claim Jesus is the name of God, because he was God. I don't have a Bible in front of me, just throwing out a few passages off the top of my head. I could give the very scripture to each passage I've quoted.
  • John 1:1 - in the begining was the Word, the word was with God, and the Word was God..... verse 14 - And the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us -- JESUS
  • And though shalt call his name JESUS, for HE shall save His people from their sins. Only God forgives sins was the Pharisees accusations, but they failed to realize he was God
  • "Jesus said "ALL Power in HEAVEN and in EARTH is given unto me"..... ALL means ALL. Show me God without Jesus, and I'll show you God without power.
  • "God was manifested in the flesh" ..... JESUS
  • "There is NO other name given under heaven whereby we must be saved" - Not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • What was the offensive name that the disciples were whipped and beaten for???? not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • What was the only name the Devils subject too???? Not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • What is the only name in baptism practiced by the new testimont church to wash away sins???? Not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • Old testamant was filled with titles, and adjatives that described God. His name wasn't revealed till it was given in the New testimont
  • Jesus said "before Abraham was, I was" how could this be???? He was God
  • Paul was stricken by light from heaven on his way to Damascus, and Paul said "who art thou Lord"?? and the Lord said "I AM JESUS"!! No physical body present, Just a voice from heaven. And Paul asked who the "LORD" was.......
  • Jehovah of old is Jesus of today :)

I just don't know how anyone can deny Jesus is the Son of God. But to this day, even his own people do. The fact that he is without sin should have been enough for anyone.

It's funny that God commands His people to give tithes (which is 10% of the INCREASE, not the gross, but your INCREASE) and offerings. Another easy bible doctrine not followed by the JW's. The pastor shouldn't have to beat you to death for your tithe.

Jehovahs Witnesses do not practice tithing, for sound scriptural reasons. Here is an explanation taken from our official website:

No, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not practice tithing; our work is financed by anonymous voluntary donations. What is a tithe, and why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses practice tithing?

The commandment to tithe, or contribute a tenth of one’s belongings, was part of the Law given to the ancient nation of Israel. However, the Bible makes it clear that this Law—including the “commandment to collect tithes”—does not apply to Christians.—Hebrews 7:5, 18; Colossians 2:13, 14.

Rather than giving required tithes and offerings, Jehovah’s Witnesses imitate the early Christians and support their ministry in two ways: by performing their personal ministerial work without pay and by making voluntary donations.

We thus follow the Bible’s direction to Christians: “Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”—2 Corinthians 9:7.

****************************************End of quote

@yellow rose And as for your comment that a "pastor shouldn't have to beat you to death" for your tithe, I'm not sure who that was directed to, but most definitely not towards Jehovahs Witnesses. (again, a quote from our official website):

Each year, we print and distribute hundreds of millions of Bibles and pieces of Bible literature. We build and operate branch offices and printeries around the world. Tens of thousands of congregations meet in modest yet attractive places of worship called Kingdom Halls. Who pays for all of this?

Our work is supported entirely by voluntary donations. (2 Corinthians 9:7) In 1879, the second issue of this magazine stated: “‘Zion’s Watch Tower’ [as this magazine was then called] has, we believe JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support.” We have not wavered from that policy.

Donations are sent directly to one of our branch offices or placed in a contribution box that is located in each Kingdom Hall. But we never tithe, take up collections, or charge a fee for our services or publications. We are not paid to preach, to teach in the congregation, or to help build places of worship. After all, Jesus said: “You received free, give free.” (Matthew 10:8) All ministers at our branch offices and at our world headquarters, including those making up the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, are unsalaried members of a religious order.

“As is the case with all the activities of Jehovah’s Witnesses, religious funding is handled on a voluntary basis, each one personally determining the amount and frequency of his religious ‘donations.’”—European Court of Human Rights, 2011

Donated funds are also used for disaster relief. The early Christians were pleased to share in relief measures for victims of adversity. (Romans 15:26) We likewise assist the afflicted by rebuilding their homes and places of worship and by providing food, clothing, and medical treatment.

************************************** End of quote

I think most people recognize that most modern religion is guilty of greed, love of money, and being involved political affairs. Also, most people are aware that most wars were either started by religion, or at least being involved with religion. Of course, it's ALL inappropriate and disgusting behavior. Those things can all be attributed to the fact that Satan is the ruler of the world. (Is that a new thought for you?) Neither the Creator, the God of the Bible, nor his son Jesus, would have anything to do with the religions that are guilty of those things.

Not to get into the bashing of one faith or church, and why I retracted what I said several post earlier....
Now I will participate in God's name. Without giving a Bible study, here are just a couple of many, many passages in the KJV that claim Jesus is the name of God, because he was God. I don't have a Bible in front of me, just throwing out a few passages off the top of my head. I could give the very scripture to each passage I've quoted.
  • John 1:1 - in the begining was the Word, the word was with God, and the Word was God..... verse 14 - And the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us -- JESUS
  • And though shalt call his name JESUS, for HE shall save His people from their sins. Only God forgives sins was the Pharisees accusations, but they failed to realize he was God
  • "Jesus said "ALL Power in HEAVEN and in EARTH is given unto me"..... ALL means ALL. Show me God without Jesus, and I'll show you God without power.
  • "God was manifested in the flesh" ..... JESUS
  • "There is NO other name given under heaven whereby we must be saved" - Not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • What was the offensive name that the disciples were whipped and beaten for???? not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • What was the only name the Devils subject too???? Not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • What is the only name in baptism practiced by the new testimont church to wash away sins???? Not Jehovah, but JESUS
  • Old testamant was filled with titles, and adjatives that described God. His name wasn't revealed till it was given in the New testimont
  • Jesus said "before Abraham was, I was" how could this be???? He was God
  • Paul was stricken by light from heaven on his way to Damascus, and Paul said "who art thou Lord"?? and the Lord said "I AM JESUS"!! No physical body present, Just a voice from heaven. And Paul asked who the "LORD" was.......
  • Jehovah of old is Jesus of today :)

Sounds like you believe in the Trinity (?)

I'm happy to address each and every one ☝️ of the points that you've listed above. But that's quite a 'laundry list'! I work full time, so bear with me on this, it'll take a little time. But for now, I'll just say that the Trinity, or the teaching of a "triune god" cannot be found in ANY translation of the Bible. It's a man-made teaching that was introduced much much later than the written word.

Last edited:
-
Back