Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
That statement was before coffee and at that point that's all I knew.
Much better after a few cups, I am now awake. :thumbsup:
Getting to the point of awake, one of my dogs got me up at 6:20 this morning, been to the park and had breakfast and coffee, but still a bit groggy. Good thing it's a long weekend.
I think I will get into the garage shortly and start tearing into the 68 Dart to see about fixing the oil leak(s). I knew it had a small leak in the pan that someone previously had tried JB Weld on, but last time I drove it I lost about 2 quarts of oil in a short time just driving around town. It left a pretty good mess on my floor too, so it's time to get it stopped.
20240723_155149.jpg
20240723_155206.jpg

Looks like the front crankshaft seal is pissing out a good amount and probably will change valve cover gaskets too. I have a new crank seal, and I was hoping that I can change it without having to pull the timing chain cover.

Getting to the point of awake, one of my dogs got me up at 6:20 this morning, been to the park and had breakfast and coffee, but still a bit groggy. Good thing it's a long weekend.
I think I will get into the garage shortly and start tearing into the 68 Dart to see about fixing the oil leak(s). I knew it had a small leak in the pan that someone previously had tried JB Weld on, but last time I drove it I lost about 2 quarts of oil in a short time just driving around town. It left a pretty good mess on my floor too, so it's time to get it stopped. View attachment 1716285522View attachment 1716285523
Looks like the front crankshaft seal is pissing out a good amount and probably will change valve cover gaskets too. I have a new crank seal, and I was hoping that I can change it without having to pull the timing chain cover.
The old Dart is defiantly needing to be potty trained. LOL

I think I will get into the garage shortly and start tearing into the 68 Dart to see about fixing the oil leak(s). I knew it had a small leak in the pan that someone previously had tried JB Weld on, but last time I drove it I lost about 2 quarts of oil in a short time just driving around town. It left a pretty good mess on my floor too, so it's time to get it stopped. View attachment 1716285522View attachment 1716285523
Permatex makes a spray on sealer for no pressure leaks. Don’t think it’s gonna work in this case. Have you run a compression check? When they leak everywhere it’s some times compression getting into the crankcase. Blocked p.c.v. Can do that too. How do like those jacks?

Well we certainly got rain this morning. Thunder and lightning as well.
I sat on the deck around 10am and the sun was out and it was raining as well.

Bit of rain here today and a high of 76* so not bad.
No rain here about the same temperature as you Fred. Wife’s going whole hog on the garden pickles of every discerption coming out of the kitchen. I’ve been peeling, chopping, slicing vegetables for 2.5 days now. Everything from snap beans to beets. Dills, bread and butter, mustard pickles, corn. That tandem load of manure really woke that garden up. Lot of work but worth it.

No rain here about the same temperature as you Fred. Wife’s going whole hog on the garden pickles of every discerption coming out of the kitchen. I’ve been peeling, chopping, slicing vegetables for 2.5 days now. Everything from snap beans to beets. Dills, bread and butter, mustard pickles, corn. That tandem load of manure really woke that garden up. Lot of work but worth it.
Sounds like a job worth the effort.
My garden consists of strawberries and 1 onion plant this year. I need to start canning stuff and try to not go to the grocery store and grow my own food with the way the economy is going isn't looking good.

Sounds like a job worth the effort.
My garden consists of strawberries and 1 onion plant this year. I need to start canning stuff and try to not go to the grocery store and grow my own food with the way the economy is going isn't looking good.
That’s one reason, but I like the fact that you know exactly what ingredients were used, pickles, preserves, sausage, whatever it is. When you add the sweat off your brow to adjust the salt content it just makes it better.

Permatex makes a spray on sealer for no pressure leaks. Don’t think it’s gonna work in this case. Have you run a compression check? When they leak everywhere it’s some times compression getting into the crankcase. Blocked p.c.v. Can do that too. How do like those jacks?
I don't think it is a compression issue, but it does have very high oil pressure, upwards of 80 psi cold and around 50 cruising.
20240805_161342.jpg

Got the balancer off this afternoon and pretty sure the seal is bad. Also pulled the valve covers off and found two small leaks, plus it looks like there is some coming from the sending unit plumbing. I didn't take a picture of that area, but it does look wet. I did remove the epoxy from the pan, clean it really well and apply some fresh JB Weld, no real obvious hole in the pan, but a couple of small gouges.
As for the MaxJax hoist, I really like it, makes life so much easier, it only lifts about 4 to 4 1/2 feet, but I only have a 10 ft ceiling. I have a small rolling chair that I use to get around underneath the vehicle, so far I have been able to do anything I need to, or would be able to with a full lift hoist. Besides, I'm 6 ft 7 inches tall, so I have to bend or slouch to use a standard hoist anyway.

I don't think it is a compression issue, but it does have very high oil pressure, upwards of 80 psi cold and around 50 cruising.
View attachment 1716285622
Got the balancer off this afternoon and pretty sure the seal is bad. Also pulled the valve covers off and found two small leaks, plus it looks like there is some coming from the sending unit plumbing. I didn't take a picture of that area, but it does look wet. I did remove the epoxy from the pan, clean it really well and apply some fresh JB Weld, no real obvious hole in the pan, but a couple of small gouges.
As for the MaxJax hoist, I really like it, makes life so much easier, it only lifts about 4 to 4 1/2 feet, but I only have a 10 ft ceiling. I have a small rolling chair that I use to get around underneath the vehicle, so far I have been able to do anything I need to, or would be able to with a full lift hoist. Besides, I'm 6 ft 7 inches tall, so I have to bend or slouch to use a standard hoist anyway.
The dart has full grove mains, hemi gears in oil pump, starts at 80+ lbs when it warms up around 40 lbs at idle. Around 45-50 at highway speed, 3000 rpm. No leaks. Use 10/40 Driven motor oil because it has all of the heavy metals in it like zinc. Got some on the windshield because when I was priming it I forgot to hook up the pressure gauge, oil shot up nailed the 10’ ceiling in my shop and covered my windshield. Whole can of windex to get it off glass. Pricey but I think it’s worth it.

The dart has full grove mains, hemi gears in oil pump, starts at 80+ lbs when it warms up around 40 lbs at idle. Around 45-50 at highway speed, 3000 rpm. No leaks. Use 10/40 Driven motor oil because it has all of the heavy metals in it like zinc. Got some on the windshield because when I was priming it I forgot to hook up the pressure gauge, oil shot up nailed the 10’ ceiling in my shop and covered my windshield. Whole can of windex to get it off glass. Pricey but I think it’s worth it.
Oh ya with a solid tappet cam that kind of oil is required. I know Lucus makes a comparable oil some of my friends use it. Or apparently GM makes an additive for there older muscle cars

-
Back