Magnum intake drilling plate project

-
Received the plates on Friday I believe it was.

Pulled heads from one of the motors that I had in storage on Sunday.

Today I will go and get the pipe nipples and the drill bits that I will need.

I will post some pictures as I proceed.

Would like to get this set of heads done before going to Indy on Friday.

Getting ready to go to Home Depot to pick up the parts needed to complete the plates very interesting how you made these.

1583178623893661251755.jpg

I was going to ask why but I know there isn't too many choices for Magnum intakes out there.
This is great for guys that have several LA intakes around the shop and want to go try a $350 LKQ Magnum special at some point, right? If I get in line for the jig, maybe it'll speed that process!

If it is ok with you I will add a hole on each end of the first plate for the la water passage outside hole.
Then 1 plate will do the whole job.
That is fine with me. I want to eventually do one in aluminum too to cut shipping cost.

I't looks like we have 3 people in line after Jad for the plates.
Think we should post the list? Wondering where I am. Don't want it to lay around to long and keep the next guy waiting. Just found a 5.9 with 127K miles, cheap.............

Last edited:
1583347964063-222299445.jpg

1583348047848-662599629.jpg

Okay these are the heads that I pulled off of one of my Motors that was in storage. You noticed one has a intake manifold stud broken off actually it's the end Bolt.

The 1/8 by 3 inch nipples are MIP which look different than the npt's in that they don't look tapered.
I got the 3 in long so that I could cut them in half and save a little money that way. Each one of these pipe nipples was $4.25 * 3 and then right at $9 for the drill bit and tap it's a 5/16 by 18 national course. The drill bit size is an F.

First thing I'm going to do is take my DeWalt 4 and 1/2 inch angle grinder with a wire brush on it and clean up the intake manifold mounting surface.

Last edited:
Okay there's a lot going on in this picture you'll see the brass sleeve on the end of the head that is where I'm drilling out the busted manifold bolt you'll see that the welding clamp is holding the plate in place on the head. The next holder that I have already drilled and tapped it and there's a bolt in it and then the next hole.
I have the tap in it I've already drilled the hole but now I'm getting ready to tap it.

The next hole will get drilled and then tapped. You can see the other two places on the left side of the Jig one of them is the LA manifold bolt hole already drilled and tapped and then the angle Magnum holder on the end of the Jig.

It wound up that each head had a magnum intake manifold bolt snapped off on the End by the water Passage.

1583356290552658044821.jpg

Last edited:
Got all six holes drilled and tapped and here's a finished shot with the second plate mounted to it.

Those end two bolts are trickiy, when you go to start the tap you must pay attention or you'll get the tap in there cockeyed.

1583360333382-938533014.jpg

Last edited:
Made 2 steel pipe nipples from a steel grease gun tube. Correct size and thread.
After finished the first head I chased the threads on the jig so the pipe nipple drill guides screw in easier.
Got the 4 intake runner holes drilled and tapped on the second head. Now dealing with the broken end bolt.
After I get the 2 end bolts done, I will set the heads on a magnum block and bolt an LA intake to them as a test fit.
Stay tuned for more news on this thread.

Last edited:
The 1/8 by 3 inch nipples are not national pipe thread they are MIP which is quite a bit smaller than the npt's.

You are confused about something here, I don't know what. If you are talking about INTERNAL diameter, pipe and pipe fittings does vary. NPT is always the same outside, and the thread is tapered, so there can be minor differences there. But the wall thickness can vary some. Also, common pipe you'll run across is "skedule 40" you can get sked 80 which is thicker and therefore much smaller ID.

Last edited:
Made 2 steel pipe nipples from a steel grease gun tube. Correct size and thread.

Grease guns normally/ used to be 1/8 pipe thread. In other words 1/8 NPT "It might be" that some of them you run into nowadays are some sort of metric. Japanese pipe fittings used to be a bit smaller than US NPT. For example, if you bought an SW oil pressure line kit, it came with adapters from the US fittings to Japan, which were smaller.

Something I would REALLY appreciate here is a sort of step by step photo layout. Example...........what exactly positions the ??original?? bolts as a starting place? IE what keeps the plate from sliding down towards the deck surface? And what if the heads WERE surfaced? How does that affect the jig placement?

You are confused about something here, I don't know what. If you are talking about INTERNAL diameter, pipe and pipe fittings does vary. NPT is always the same outside, and the thread is tapered, so there can be minor differences there. But the wall thickness can vary some. Also, common pipe you'll run across is "skedule 40" you can get sked 80 which is thicker and therefore much smaller ID.

I'm not confused about anything. As I said the pipe nipple is not NPT it is MIP.

MIP stands for Male Iron Pipe, or some would say Male International Pipe. The same pipe size can also be called MPT, for Male Pipe Thread. FIP means Female Iron (or International) Pipe and can also be called FPT for Female Pipe Thread. To add confusion, there is NPT, which stands for National Pipe Thread.

He has the added problem of a broken bolt in the end of the head.
The iron or steel nipples work better as they wear slower than the brass.
The tap used for this build is a 1/8" npt thread.

Something I would REALLY appreciate here is a sort of step by step photo layout. Example...........what exactly positions the ??original?? bolts as a starting place? IE what keeps the plate from sliding down towards the deck surface? And what if the heads WERE surfaced? How does that affect the jig placement?

1. The end bolts are ment to help keep the plate from sliding towards the deck.
2. It is set up so you drill all the middle bolts 1st.
3. Tap them
4. Move to last plate bolt it to the head with the center bolts and drill the end bolts.

He has the added problem of a broken bolt in the end of the head.
The iron or steel nipples work better as they wear slower than the brass.
The tap used for this build is a 1/8" npt thread.

The tap is a 1/8-27NPT
The pipe nippple is a 1/8 MIP X 3in cut in half.
1/8NPT next to a 5/16UNC

1583389864874-1597087303.jpg

The angled hole that has the nipple on the end is what sets up the initial location for the jig. Milling the heads is not a problem. The end 2 original magnum manifold bolt holes are the reference points.

When you mill heads you may face the intake side of the head if you take a lot off the chamber side but you don't redrill the manifold bolt holes. I don't anyway. lol

1583389966220-1510395836.jpg

I'm not confused about anything. As I said the pipe nipple is not NPT it is MIP.

MIP stands for Male Iron Pipe, or some would say Male International Pipe. The same pipe size can also be called MPT, for Male Pipe Thread. FIP means Female Iron (or International) Pipe and can also be called FPT for Female Pipe Thread. To add confusion, there is NPT, which stands for National Pipe Thread.

According to what I know MIP is just another nickname for "murican pipe" so again I ask, "what is the difference?"

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/how-to-determine-pipe-thread-type-and-pipe

Common pipe thread types:
  • NPT or NPS (national pipe tapered or straight): Most common in North America
  • MIP or FIP (male or female iron pipe): Same thread dimensions as NPT
  • BSP(T) or BSP(S) (British standard pipe tapered or straight): Most common in Europe
  • Compression: A unique threaded fitting that does not mate with other thread types
  • UNS (National Unified Special): Some compatible with compression fittings
So again? what exactly is the difference? Is this smaller ID pipe, or differnt thread or what? Some fittings are threaded "straight' which might appear different but is still a variation of NPT

According to what I know MIP is just another nickname for "murican pipe" so again I ask, "what is the difference?"

How to Determine Pipe Thread Type and Pipe Size

Common pipe thread types:
  • NPT or NPS (national pipe tapered or straight): Most common in North America
  • MIP or FIP (male or female iron pipe): Same thread dimensions as NPT
  • BSP(T) or BSP(S) (British standard pipe tapered or straight): Most common in Europe
  • Compression: A unique threaded fitting that does not mate with other thread types
  • UNS (National Unified Special): Some compatible with compression fittings
So again? what exactly is the difference? Is this smaller ID pipe, or differnt thread or what? Some fittings are threaded "straight' which might appear different but is still a variation of NPT

Thanks for the info.
At my Home Depot the NPT is in a differant aisle then the MIP fittings.

They start the npt fittings at 1/4 inch so there is no 1/8 npt.

Then in the next aisle they have the MIP fittings and they start 1/8 inch.

So all these years nobody has ever said that NPT and MIP are the same thing to me. So I can see why you would be confused by my reference to the MIP and the NPT. Me thinking that they were two separate items or whatever you want to call them.

What it basically gets down to is I'm using what works. I found that once you get the drill started in the sleeve you can pretty much Center the drill bit and then you won't have excessive wear against your guides.

I have been drilling dry with a cordless drill.
I used the same bit for all 12 holes.
I am using spray grease on the tap.

I did manage to finish those last two holes up at about 4 in the morning.

Okay here's a picture of it with the manifold on the heads the heads are on a empty Magnum block I put the steel intake manifold gaskets from a 318 between the heads and the manifold and I started all 12 volts everything seem to line up perfect.

Thank you Stephen.

-
Back