Mild 383 build

-
This is for you. I know from your posts that you are quite knowledgeable. Not wasting time with Turk, he doesn't know how an air bleed works.
Last one, I don't agree with you and you don't seem like your gonna agree with us, lets just focus on the OP build, he's not stroking it anyways.
You are confusing force with pressure [ loading ]. Look at the formula in post #112. Pressure= force divided by area [ not multiplied ].
In post #91, you said energy can neither be created or destroyed. 100% correct
In post #114, you used an example of 1000 lbs of force in the com chamber. Let's work with that.
Combustion creates pressure, psi, my eg.. Was a 1000 psi (the psi of a average engine, full throttle) not a 1000 lbs of force, so the force from the piston would be F = P x A, larger piston more area for pressure to be applied = greater force to the rod.

Last edited:
RRR,
Post #113, you disappoint me; I thought you were smarter than that. Look at the formula in post #112: Pressure= force divided by area. The force is the force of the expanding gas. The area is the piston area. If the area gets bigger [ a bigger diameter piston ], then the pressure gets less. [ the pressure being pounds per sq inch or whatever medium you are using for measurement.
I will be giving yet another example later using real numbers after I pick up my grandson.

Don’t let that prick bully you into thinking you got it wrong.

You don’t. I posted the formula for power and the guy just doesn’t get it.

In fact, he says he has the Bettes book. If he does, he should read it because he knows a bigger piston makes more power because AREA matters.

It’s sad really how bull headed the guy is.

Alright gentlemen, let's not get a pissin match started here. Okay! This is my thread and all I'm askin is guidance.

I called Jegs today and had a nice little chat with the tech department. 10+-1/ 11-1 compression ratio with the pistons I got now!!!!! Gentlemen. I never in my life ever expected that and that's @ .600 lift!!!!!!! I'm ordering the heads tomorrow. Now!!!!!!! I. Do not. Want a super frumpy . Hard to get to idle camshaft.

If you get the stealth, I'm sure Brandon can fix you up, he's a good guy.
I think for the price I'd go with the E-street 75.cc chamber, boost compression and capable of good quench with a flat top close to the deck.
They all flow about the same with the exception being the Trick Flo.
Brandon? I got a g'son named Brandon. He ain't touchin nuttin!!!!!!!!!So whose doing the blending?

Alright gentlemen, let's not get a pissin match started here. Okay! This is my thread and all I'm askin is guidance.
Sorry, about the side quests, some like to try to pick apart what I say, fair enough but your right back to the main mission.
I called Jegs today and had a nice little chat with the tech department. 10+-1/ 11-1 compression ratio with the pistons I got now!!!!! Gentlemen. I never in my life ever expected that and that's @ .600 lift!!!!!!! I'm ordering the heads tomorrow. Now!!!!!!! I. Do not. Want a super frumpy . Hard to get to idle camshaft.
Stealth heads or ?

Sorry, about the side quests, some like to try to pick apart what I say, fair enough but your right back to the main mission.

Stealth heads or ?
Yes, Jegs Stealth heads. Absolutely blew my mind. He suggested a .050 head gasket as well. Just blows my mind.

Yes, Jegs Stealth heads. Absolutely blew my mind. He suggested a .050 head gasket as well. Just blows my mind.
If your going with piston zero decked most go .040" gasket for quench, I don't know if that's will give too much CR, maybe that's why the .050" suggestion.

If your going with piston zero decked most go .040" gasket for quench, I don't know if that's will give too much CR, maybe that's why the .050" suggestion.
273, he said he grabbed his calculation charts and calculated 10.5-1 up to 11.0 to 1 with the pistons I plan on using. No zero decking mentioned. That blew my mind. Literally. Was not expecting that at all.

273, he said he grabbed his calculation charts and calculated 10.5-1 up to 11.0 to 1 with the pistons I plan on using. No zero decking mentioned. That blew my mind. Literally. Was not expecting that at all.
I think he needs a new calculator, he's about a point and a half high. and no way with a .050 gasket, maybe a shim gasket.
Those pistons will fall in bellow deck.

I wish you'd lay out all the specs here so we could see what the compression will end up. I don't think I would trust them at Jegs to make that call.

Yes, Jegs Stealth heads
Why would you order Stealth heads from Jegs.
The Stealth head is Brandon's baby, he is the owner of 440 Source. He can give more incite on the head as well he has a shop that works with him.
BTW the Stealth head is closer to 82 cc chamber rather than advertised 80 cc.

Why would you order Stealth heads from Jegs.
The Stealth head is Brandon's baby, he is the owner of 440 Source. He can give more incite on the head as well he has a shop that works with him.
BTW the Stealth head is closer to 82 cc chamber rather than advertised 80 cc.
Since when does anybody follow good advice around here?

I wish you'd lay out all the specs here so we could see what the compression will end up. I don't think I would trust them at Jegs to make that call.
What specs do you want? 1969 383, punched .070, pistons Silvo-lites 1276's @ from what I'm told CR is suppose to be around 8.5, from what I just looked up it's 8.0. Now mind you that's with a 440 block. I'm not using a 440 block however. I'm using a Lo-block 383 with stock 383 crankshaft. I'm taking the advice from here and getting the Jegs Stealth heads. I have no intentions of " zero decking " the block. Now the Tech there stated that I could go as high/big as .600" lift cam and be safe, ( no intentions of doing that), so my compression rate should / could be as high as 11.0-1. Minimum of 10.5-1. That's as far as I've gotten so far. Did that help you any? It's as much that I can divulge.

What specs do you want? 1969 383, punched .070, pistons Silvo-lites 1276's @ from what I'm told CR is suppose to be around 8.5, from what I just looked up it's 8.0. Now mind you that's with a 440 block. I'm not using a 440 block however. I'm using a Lo-block 383 with stock 383 crankshaft. I'm taking the advice from here and getting the Jegs Stealth heads. I have no intentions of " zero decking " the block. Now the Tech there stated that I could go as high/big as .600" lift cam and be safe, ( no intentions of doing that), so my compression rate should / could be as high as 11.0-1. Minimum of 10.5-1. That's as far as I've gotten so far. Did that help you any? It's as much that I can divulge.

Are you putting a 440 crank in this? You won’t have the compression you want. The pistons will be down in the hole.

All of it to figure compression. Deck clearance, piston head cc, chamber cc and which gasket you plan to use. If you don't know deck clearance, piston compression height and piston head cc will do, along with head cc.

Me. I do since I figure you can be trusted not to lead me astray. Either your credible, or , your not. Which is it?
All good info in this thread, but for an additional $150 an hour I'll give you all the advise you need.

is my math not mathing? the silvo piston is even shorter than the stock piston, so it should be in the hole even more, no?

also, i wouldn't be on the horn with anybody but 440 source about their heads, and i would gladly pay their ask on them to support their business and the technical help i would or could need.

Using the united engine calculator, I get 9.5 static compression. That piston site .023 in the hole with a 383 crank and rod, zero for piston head cc since it has no valve reliefs. I used .039" for gasket compressed thickness and 4.3 for gasket bore size, so I'm probably "right close".

-
Back