My 70 Dart

-
flux core. 0.035. Don't weld a lot, couldn't justify the big dollar item for the use it will get. So it's a cheapo, not a HF cheapo, but up from there. I was thinking about taking off the front and rear valance. Had a tough time to get the rear off, along with the rear qp extensions. Have a air wrench now, I was able to loosen up some bolts that I couldn't before. Probably better all the way around. Thanks for the info on the wire. Appreciate it! Thanks to ALL who have given advice. I do appreciate it.

Small success, but a success all the same. One picture of first hole I filled with MIG. A trick/tip that worked for me was to use relatively fresh copper backing. No reason to get cheap here. Also was to use a clamp to hold the square as tight as possible to the fender. For that I used another piece of steel as backing to the copper square. First one done and I'm happy. A lot more to go for sure, but one at a time and I'll be done. Thanks.

Attachments

• driver front first filled hole #1 (Medium).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 579
Finished all the holes. Ground the drivers side. When I run my hand over it, it seems like it sunk in. But, before I did the passenger side I ran my hand over the places were I sanded it down. I have the dips there also, just not as bad. HUH? I worked on as many as four hole at once, meaning tack on one, then move to the next. And so on. Some places I was unable to get anything behind it, so I had to do many, many tacks. What was I going to do? Take the quarter panel off? I'll get pictures later and post them. Lunchtime here and I have some fish to cook up.
Heres a picture. Lot of spatter from flex core, but it'll clen up.

Attachments

• passenger side car after welding trim holes 009 (Medium).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 537
Been warm and humid here this last week. Plus working with the dust from the primer surfacer. That stuff is real easy to sand, the drawback is the DUST! WOW! Already uncormfortable with the weather, then contend with the dust? I know, I know, part of the game. Sandpaper I was using was 320, not emory cloth. Clogged up quick, had to change often. Got some 220 sticky back from Eastwood. Now I can get down quick. Making progress, slowly but surely. Weather changed here today, will be cool and low humidity. Maybe some rain, but I don't care. Took some pictures, tried to show the ones with good focus and where you can see. I'm getting there. :cheers:

Attachments

• June 28,2013 001 (Medium).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 504
  • June 28,2013 006 (Medium).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 488
  • June 28,2013 005 (Medium).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 498
  • June 28,2013 008 (Medium).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 487
Is this the second spray of the surfacer? Or is it the third? I don't know. Using a HFT paint pot I had to modify to have a better regulator. Using a Binks Mach1 HVLP suction feed gun. It came with a 95S air cap. Picked up a 92P for less CFM needed. 1.4mm tip. Did I already go through this before? Anywhoooo.....I had car blocked after filling in the trim holes. Previous pictures show that. I've been adjusting the paint system everytime to get a good sprayout. Used lacquer thinner instead of the acetone with the primer surfacer. I think that made a very good difference in how it sprayed. Sprayed it all today, even front and rear valance. Rear valance is too dark to see anything. Since this stuff is so easy to sand, I concentrated on the middle to build up film. I'll let it cure overnight and part two?three? of blocking will happen. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart July 2, 2013 drivers quarter panel (Medium).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 1970 Dart July 2, 2013 drivers door (Medium).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 491
  • 1970 Dart July 2, 2013 passenger quarter panel (Medium).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 484
  • 1970 Dart July 2, 2013 passeger side door (Medium).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 485
Wanted to lay some paint on something. So I took the front valance and sprayed some blue I have on it. Honda blue, and not the Honda Auto, but Honda Jet blue. I'm using this primer surfacer. With the temp going into the 80's, I wanted to use a warm weather activator. It took over 6 hours for it to fully cure. I remembered that the surfacer can't be wiped with any solvent as it reactivated the stuff. Maybe thats why it took so long to cure? Appeareance didn't come out to bad, couple of specks, but I thought I would speed things up by putting a fan on it. Big mistake as it caused all sort of crud to blow on the still slightly tacky surface. Now I have all kinds of lint on it. LOL. Could be worse! Also couple of small sags, nothing to tough to sand away. I have some pics, may not show much, but I'll post them anyway. I want to do the front and rear extensions today. Small pieces, I'll use the same warm weather today, difference being no surfacer underneath. Okay, enjoy. I want to get out before it gets too warm out. Only a little after 10:00am and already 80*F out.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart July 5, 2013 front valance #2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 483
Where I am as of August 8, 2013. Getting there, slowly but surely. The darker spots are the low spots. Need more surfacer still. I like this stuff cause it's so easy to sand! 220 grit is the lowest you want to go. I recommend this stuff.

Attachments

• August 8 passenger quarter (Medium).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 446
  • August 8 passenger door (Medium).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 433
  • August 8 passenger fender (Medium).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 430
  • August 8 drivers quarter (Medium).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 432
  • August 8 drivers door (Medium).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 442
  • August 8 drivers fender (Medium).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 427
  • August 8 drivers fender #1 (Medium).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 457
Ok, sprayed last night, the 9th of August, 2013. Sanded August 10, 2013 in the morning. These are pictures without any blowing off or wiping the dust away. Am making headway, slowly but surely. Viewers may not be able to tell, I'll try to get rid of the dust and wipe it then do more pics. Hope these will do for now. Wanna get ready for a small show at a Dode dealer here in town.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 010 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 009 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 008 (Medium).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 007 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 006 (Medium).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 428
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 005 (Medium).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 004 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 003 (Medium).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 424
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 002 (Medium).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 001 (Medium).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 438
Wanted to remove a picture, don't want to take the time right now to figure it out. So here is the last picture, of the passenger side quarter.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart August 10, 2013 after sanding 011 (Medium).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 432
No pictures. I was just out in the garage looking at the car. Tomorrow I need to vacuum the dust and blow out what I can't get to. Then wipe the car. I plan on laying on the surfacer on all the low spots, if it sags, so be it. That stuff sands easy. Multiple coats if needed. Last coat will be over that entire part of the car. Then let cure and sand. Hopefully my plan works. Onward through the fog!!

Nice work! I would test fit your key lock cylinders etc before spraying color just to be sure high build not too thick in the holes.

LOL, thank you for the suggestion! I picked up a new set for the whole car. I laugh cause I never thought of it.

Another update. I'll get it one of these days. I'm going to try to get this the best I can, then just live with it. Being a perfectionist is a no win situation for me. I can ALWAYS find fault with what I do. So........if some minor imperfection, then to heck with it. Now, on to the pictures. Trying to get them as before and after. I did another step since these were done. I resprayed the surface after applying the Icing surfacer. Looks pretty straight now. I won't know how the trim lines from the holes look, whether those are straight lines still or not. I'll find out. Didn't want to blow out the dust, it's almost seven here in the Midwest.

Attachments

• IMG_2055 (1024x683).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2043 (1024x683).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2051 (1024x683).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_2041 (1024x683).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2050 (1024x683).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_2040 (1024x683).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 382
Passenger side.

Attachments

• IMG_2059 (1024x683).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2048 (1024x683).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2058 (1024x683).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_2045 (1024x683).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_2056 (1024x683).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2044 (1024x683).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 382
Looking good, nice work. I understand the perfectionism thing, but you're not going to be thinking about the few flaws when you're finally burning rubber!

Ok, sprayed more surfacer and then sanded. But first I used a filler called Icing. Needs a hardener to activate it. I used the Icing on the drivers quarter panel see last two pictures. Well.........I thought I kneaded the cream hardener good enough, but when I added it to the Icing, it was very runny. Needless to say, it didn't set up over three days! I had to go back and sand it out using 80 grit paper, and it gummed up and clogged the paper. I got the hardener right, I tried a small sample before use. It set up and I sanded it with 220 grit after about two hours. Went golfing today, Monday the 19th and am pooped out. I will spray the black surfacer first thing tomorrow morning and let it cure. Usually takes about a good three hours. Should be pretty darn close now. Ok, enough blabbing, on to the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2068 (1024x683).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_2067 (1024x683).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2066 (1024x683).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2065 (1024x683).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2064 (1024x683).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2062 (1024x683).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_2061 (1024x683).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 371
Body is now pretty good, I hope. Been working on the hood here lately. I said this before, but hail damage is no fun. Especially for someone who had NO experience doing body work. It's like three steps forward, one step back. Learn as I go. This picture shows the panel in front of the windshield. You can see there is some pretty uneven metal there. You can't see it now, but there appears to be some lead in there also. I think that cause it was very soft in places. Anyway, there is evidence of hail damage also. Fun times to be sure.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart August28, 2013 header panel.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 377
Sorry, no pictures. I've been busy looking for work and just plain yard work lately. Since I had the time and motivation today, I wanted to work on the front and rear valance. They were already in progress and I wanted to finish them up. The rear end valance was bent, me thinks someone backed up just a little bit to far at one time. I tried to straighten it out as best I could, When I went to sand it I found a low spot. I almost said to hell with it.......but NOOOOO, I had to fill it in and make it better! When I sand the filler tomorrow, (with pictures, b4 and after), I'll paint it and see what happens. I sprayed the front today. Plus I had some left over. I didn't want to waste it so I sprayed the passenger side quarter. Unfortunately, the wind picked up, great timing, and I ended up with a bunch of dirt on it. Oh well, I'll sand it smooth and go on from there. It's gonnna be a sub coat for the metallic I'm going to use. The important thing is the 1/4 is pretty darn straight. I am REAL happy with that! Enough babbling, thanks for reading.

It's looking great so far. Keep plugging away at it, and it will get done.

Ok, painted the rear valance today. First picture is before paint, 2nd pic, 2nd coat. Can't really see much, there is one small sag, I'm leaving it alone cause it will be covered. I need a faster activator, this one is for warm weather, and it sure ain't warm here today. Only mid 70's. This activator has less of the catalyst in it to kick it to dry. I'll figure something out.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart Sept 22, 2013 rear valance 1st coat.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 1970 Dart Sept 22, 2013 rear valance 2nd coat.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 329
Ok, had a hair up my butt about the hood, so I took it off by myself. Of course I drilled reference holes to help line it up afterwards, but still a pita. I'm using a warm weather activator in 70 degree temp. I have an activator, the drier itself, that I've been giving it a shot to speed up the cure. Not something I would recommend, but I am somewhat familiar with all the mats I'm using. No pictures yet, I'll try to get some tomorrow. Still debating on whether to take the fenders off as well. One thing I noticed is I'm using the cup that came with the gun, and I'm spraying a horizontal hood. When I get to the bottom of the cup, the paint don't go into the gun itself cause of the angles. I have a 3M cup system, but I don't want to use it all up yet. Funny, I remember Capt. Kirks story about when he painted his car in the garage at night. And he's right, seems like the damn bugs just LOVE the smell of paint. I picked up one of the little buggers on the hood. LOL. Ok, pics tomorrow.

Ok, here is the picture of the hood, only one. When I look at it, I can see defects. Nothing that can't be fixed, but still repairs. Some fisheyes, craters, maybe even some contamination. I can still see some low spots from the hail damage....... LOL. What the hell else can I do in between waiting for call back for work. Still unemployed, but I'm trying to put the time to good use. In that case I need to stay away from the News and Politics section then. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2369 (1024x683).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 296
Well, hood is more messed up than you see in the last picture. So I'm sanding it until I get past the bad spots, then I'll respray vertically. My compressor has to continually run to keep up, so I'm going to let it cool off and hopefully get rid of some water in the line. I do have water traps, but when its in the hose itself...... Anywho, I've been wanting to do something about the carburetor. Would like to get rid of backfire when a firm mash on the peddle is done. There were no squirts of gas coming out so I figured the accelerator pump is shot. Also the majority of the screws were pretty loose. All the gaskets are dried out maybe? So right now its soaking in some carb cleaner, giving me chance to bs. LOL.

You are doing a great job, keep it up. I love the color you picked. Great idea removing the trim and filling in the holes. It's a shame removing the seams didn't work out for you, it woulda been a nice touch.
slotto

While looking at E-Bay the other day I ran across some seat covers for my car, the front. Offered $225.00 for them, and received them three days later, today. I looked at the number and they were exact number I needed from Year One. Brand spanking new at 2/3 the cost. I'm happy with that.

Impressed to see how far you've come and how determined you are. I agree the color is great.

-
Back