Need 4-speed Help

-
THE REAREND!

You mean to tell me that the whole %^#$ time it was the &*%$#* rear end!

&%$^@!

*&%$# the &%$^ thing!

Glad you found out the problem (if that's what it is). I had the rear end go bad in my 03 Dodge ram. I took the open differential out and installed a Auburn (cone type) differential and also lowered the gears some while I was at it. The Auburn didn't last no longer than a year and half and it busted. But the way I found out exactly where it was coming from was simple. I heard something making a noise under my truck while going down the road. So when I got it home I jacked the rear end up, placed it on jack stands, cranked the truck up and put it in gear, let the tires just spin at idle, crawled under the truck.... I could hear the rear end clicking. I bet if you let someone in your car and did the same while you are underneath you could easily isolate the problem. I hate for you to spend a bunch of money on the rear end and that's not the problem. If you don't know what's going on in the axle housing I would suggest just pulling it and checking everything out anyways. I have always felt more comfortable about my cars when I know the true condition of the axle, the gear ratio, etc... good luck and let us know what you find out.

All,
Received the new clutches from Mancini and started to rebuild the posi unit. The existing clutches were fairly marred worn. However, after investigating how the unit worked, realized there was an inner and outer set of splines on each side. Un oh...

Also didn't realize the axle splines had to contact both sets. After reassembly of the posi unit, which turned out to be a little trickier than once thought, decided to remeasure my axle lengths/depth for proper contact. Oh yeah, didn't realize the inner/outer splines have to be aligned before torquing, so had to disassemble, align both sides, and reassemble...

Axles were both 1.00" too short. Basically, measured and ordered resplined axles for the first rear end housing I cut and narrowed. Didn't realize there wasn't enough clearance on the outside for u-bolts. So, had to cut and shorten another housing 1.00" longer on each side. Axles were .10" longer for original housing because forgot to account for that floating pin in the middle, so figured the axles would work on the second housing. Tested to see if they would contact splines, not realizing there were 2 sets to engage....

So, everything all put back together and now awaiting new set of axles from Moser...

Geez, this can be an expensive and frustrating hobby. But, sure have been learning a lot on this project. Just hoping the new axles will allow me to drive the car next....

i dont remember you telling us you had a narrowed rear end,,,same thing happend to me,,but was dutchmans fault they cut the axels to short,,

Well it,s good to see your learning how to re-buid a SUREGRIP!posi?Once you get it all together,maybe some pics?

fstfish66 - Yeah, never thought to mention it since didn't think it was relevant to the original problem. Rear shortened and axles only 21.00" long. In my case, measurements were all my bad. Moser did an excellent job cutting and resplining a set of C-body axles I pulled at the junkyard. Tubbed the rear wheel wells and fit 13"W rear tires...

Just tossed a second set of axles I had while cleaning up the side of the garage and now it's costing me twice as much for a new set... Oh well...

pettybludart - Only had to take apart the posi unit once... Someone posted the pictures from a FSM on the sequence of the clutch disks that helped. The disk sequence can be kinda tricky with the two concave/vex disks. Also, forgot the confirguration of the casing that holds the spider gears, so took a few times to figure out how that went back together before torquing the left handed threads...

Will post a few pics once I solve this problem. The exterior is still in process, but like any true gearhead, the mechanicals come first, cosmetics later...

fstfish66 - Yeah, never thought to mention it since didn't think it was relevant to the original problem. Rear shortened and axles only 21.00" long. In my case, measurements were all my bad. Moser did an excellent job cutting and resplining a set of C-body axles I pulled at the junkyard. Tubbed the rear wheel wells and fit 13"W rear tires...

Just tossed a second set of axles I had while cleaning up the side of the garage and now it's costing me twice as much for a new set... Oh well...

pettybludart - Only had to take apart the posi unit once... Someone posted the pictures from a FSM on the sequence of the clutch disks that helped. The disk sequence can be kinda tricky with the two concave/vex disks. Also, forgot the confirguration of the casing that holds the spider gears, so took a few times to figure out how that went back together before torquing the left handed threads...

Will post a few pics once I solve this problem. The exterior is still in process, but like any true gearhead, the mechanicals come first, cosmetics later...
I,ve got some C body axels sitting here collecting dust,wish you would have said something.could have sold to you cheap!

pettybludart - Thanks for the consideration. The shipping costs are fairly expensive on those things due to the weight... Thought about doing a search of the local junkyards again, although 8.75" rear ends or any 70's Mopars are scarce here, and decided time was of the essense. Wanted to get the axles quick and give Moser more business in the process.

Thanks again!

wel i remember asking you a few times,, have you ever driven this car with the rear end that you have it in ???

that should of been a clue,,,lol

also never throw out any thing,,,til your car is done,,,,ive been there done it too many times to count,,,as soon as you get ird if it you will need it,,,thats the rule lol

good luck on rebuilding the rear center section

fstfish66 - Yes, you did ask several times.. Unfortunately, I was relying on my sense of hearing and was convinced it was a trans/clutch problem. Plus, light pressure turning the wheels and driveshaft made both wheel turn in the same direction. Didn't think to try under load... I know, I know, you told me to try that too!

Second pair of axles were sitting on the side of the house and had some surface rust due to neglect and was trying to clear some of the clutter. But, you're right about not disposing of items of potential value too soon.

Took a trip to the 3 local pick-n-pulls and found/pulled another C-body 8.75" housing, 489 open center section, and axles. Will clean, wrap, and store properly. Was surprised to find a 72 Polar w/big a block in 1 of the yards. Don't see many 70's Mopars anymore...

Center section rebuilt, installed, and ready to go. Just waiting for the Moser axles to be delivered Monday...

Thanks again for your all your help and advice. Will be a better listener next time!

fstfish66 - Yes, you did ask several times.. Unfortunately, I was relying on my sense of hearing and was convinced it was a trans/clutch problem. Plus, light pressure turning the wheels and driveshaft made both wheel turn in the same direction. Didn't think to try under load... I know, I know, you told me to try that too!

Second pair of axles were sitting on the side of the house and had some surface rust due to neglect and was trying to clear some of the clutter. But, you're right about not disposing of items of potential value too soon.

Took a trip to the 3 local pick-n-pulls and found/pulled another C-body 8.75" housing, 489 open center section, and axles. Will clean, wrap, and store properly. Was surprised to find a 72 Polar w/big a block in 1 of the yards. Don't see many 70's Mopars anymore...

Center section rebuilt, installed, and ready to go. Just waiting for the Moser axles to be delivered Monday...

Thanks again for your all your help and advice. Will be a better listener next time!
Thanks,you just reminded me that I seen a big Mopar boat 74?I think,that I,ll have to check at the boneyard for center section.It,s the only old car in there.

pettybludart - Yeah, was really surprised to see a 72 Polara in the junkyard. Someone only pulled the rearend backing plates, but left everything else. More surprisingly, the big block and trans were still there... Probably won't be there for much longer....

Woo Hoo!! Drove the car around the block today!!

Got the new axles from Moser and there were a little long, by my measurements, so cut them down by 1/8" each and re-tapered the ends. So, the short axles were causing the posi rearend to slip. May still need to play with the Z-bar or linkage because it goes into gear 1-4 and R a little hard.

But, at least the car is driveable and we're past this problem.

Thanks all for all of your help, suggestions, and support on solving this problem!!

Congrats on finally driving your car!It looks like you got it ready just in time for spring!Enjoy!!:drinkers:

well glad to hear you finally got her going,,,the hard shifting problem could be a shifter not adjusted properly but my guess pedal/for/throw out bearing not traveling enough,,unless an old worn out tranny,,,,super easy to rebuild,,,

well glad to hear you finally got her going,,,the hard shifting problem could be a shifter not adjusted properly but my guess pedal/for/throw out bearing not traveling enough,,unless an old worn out tranny,,,,super easy to rebuild,,,

-
Back