Need some advice

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
Well, I'm in the market for new headers, a duel exhaust system, and a 2 barrel carburator(sp)

I'm basicly wanting more power outta my /6(which is a 225 in a '75 Plymouth Duster).

Any help would be appriciated, as far as compatiblity, product reccomendations, user reviews/opinions, ect.

ok for headers its either the hookers or the aussie, i have hookers but many love the aussie units.
as for the intake if u can get a super 6 intake great, but u might pay less getting a used offy and buying a 390 4 brl.

upping the compression to 9.0-9.4:1 will help alot! being yours is a 75 it already has hardened exhaust seats which is good.

stay away from clifford unless buying there 4 brl manifold...

ok for headers its either the hookers or the aussie, i have hookers but many love the aussie units.
as for the intake if u can get a super 6 intake great, but u might pay less getting a used offy and buying a 390 4 brl.

upping the compression to 9.0-9.4:1 will help alot! being yours is a 75 it already has hardened exhaust seats which is good.

stay away from clifford unless buying there 4 brl manifold...

Great, can you please give me product names? and possibly part numbers?
(I'll be searching eBay for most...if not all these parts) As pretty much all the autoparts places I vist have no clue as to what I'm talking about haha.

Great, can you please give me product names? and possibly part numbers?
(I'll be searching eBay for most...if not all these parts) As pretty much all the autoparts places I vist have no clue as to what I'm talking about haha.

ok the hookers are super comps 1 5/8 tube, u can get them thru summit (cheaper or autozone) hok-5602hkr (summit number)

frank, 66acuda is a dealer for the aussie stuff headers or intake. or http://www.aussiespeed.com/

offy makes a 4 brl intake as well, perfect for a 390cfm holley with vac secondaries!!

anything else?

planing on pulling the head or cam change?

ok the hookers are super comps 1 5/8 tube, u can get them thru summit (cheaper or autozone) hok-5602hkr (summit number)

frank, 66acuda is a dealer for the aussie stuff headers or intake. or http://www.aussiespeed.com/

offy makes a 4 brl intake as well, perfect for a 390cfm holley with vac secondaries!!

anything else?

planing on pulling the head or cam change?

I've got no idea haha. How would I go about doing that/what parts would I need?? I'm just starting to get into this haha, so if you could please explain it as easily as possible:)

I've got no idea haha. How would I go about doing that/what parts would I need?? I'm just starting to get into this haha, so if you could please explain it as easily as possible:)

ok np!
im sure u know what compression is?? well on a stock slant is anywhere from 7.1:1 to 8.0:1 (if your lucky!), so by taking the head off and having it milled (taking material off the deck surface) it decreses the area in the cylinder therfore increasing compression! so in order to figure compression u have to know how far the piston is below the deck surface, the diameter and thickness (compressed) of the head gasket and the volume (CC's) of the head.
im sorry that was alot...

follow?

ok np!
im sure u know what compression is?? well on a stock slant is anywhere from 7.1:1 to 8.0:1 (if your lucky!), so by taking the head off and having it milled (taking material off the deck surface) it decreses the area in the cylinder therfore increasing compression! so in order to figure compression u have to know how far the piston is below the deck surface, the diameter and thickness (compressed) of the head gasket and the volume (CC's) of the head.
im sorry that was alot...

follow?

Yep, makes sense. Thanks man!!

ok so now If you were looking at doing a cam upgrade u need to consider alot of things...

what is the car going to used for? 1/4, 1/8,daily driving, race only????
do you have the money to upgrade to a new (correct) converter?? (If auto)
stump puller or top end charge?

now for why i ask!

the things u always hear are lift, duration, LSA...

so to break it down

lift is how far the valve opens off the seat, the more lift the more air that can flow around it into the cyl, but if you open the valve to much u can hurt air flow (testing on flow bench tells you this)

duration is how long the valve is off the seat. now there are lots of ways people mesure duration, advertised, @ .050, even @ .020, most @.050 tho... so anyways when you hear a cam has 246*(degrees) @ .050 duration thats a healthy, lumpy, high idle cam, also means that it is more efficent at higher rpms, so the low end (torque) is hurt... so low @ .050 duration means more low end rpm range power and higher @ .050 duration is higher in the rpm range

LSA, or Lobe Seperation angle, is how far the intake lobe center line and exhaust lobe center line are apart, if i remember big displacement motors/blower motors like more LSA, 112*, where small motor like the 225 SL6 like 104-106.

got it?

ok so now If you were looking at doing a cam upgrade u need to consider alot of things...

what is the car going to used for? 1/4, 1/8,daily driving, race only????
do you have the money to upgrade to a new (correct) converter?? (If auto)
stump puller or top end charge?

now for why i ask!

the things u always hear are lift, duration, LSA...

so to break it down

lift is how far the valve opens off the seat, the more lift the more air that can flow around it into the cyl, but if you open the valve to much u can hurt air flow (testing on flow bench tells you this)

duration is how long the valve is off the seat. now there are lots of ways people mesure duration, advertised, @ .050, even @ .020, most @.050 tho... so anyways when you hear a cam has 246*(degrees) @ .050 duration thats a healthy, lumpy, high idle cam, also means that it is more efficent at higher rpms, so the low end (torque) is hurt... so low @ .050 duration means more low end rpm range power and higher @ .050 duration is higher in the rpm range

LSA, or Lobe Seperation angle, is how far the intake lobe center line and exhaust lobe center line are apart, if i remember big displacement motors/blower motors like more LSA, 112*, where small motor like the 225 SL6 like 104-106.

got it?

Well, it'll be used as a daily driver. As far as the other things go(besides lift), I've got no idea what you're talking about. Sorry again, but like I said I'm new to all this.

Well, it'll be used as a daily driver. As far as the other things go(besides lift), I've got no idea what you're talking about. Sorry again, but like I said I'm new to all this.

no problem!

well i wouldn't bother with a cam change but it would be a great idea, for milage and power, to mill the head for increased compression...

One more thing, if you could post pictures of these, It would be alot easier for me to find them. Basicly what I want, is a car that sounds great, and can move haha. I've gotten mine up to 105-107 MPH on a straight, but up hill it bogs down so much(yes, I know that this engine isn't that big, ect).

of the parts?

Attachments

• slant six 020.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 323
  • slant six 021.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 334
  • slant six 022.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Good Bye 005.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 299
here are some vids to
old muffler and exhaust
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pviXVh2Uaq0"]YouTube - 68 dodge Dart[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2y7gD4KJp0"]YouTube - 68 Dart Slant six[/ame]

Yep. My God, that last pic=P~=P~

WOW......What do I need to get me / to look like that lol.

:read2::cheers:

hehe i know right!

clifford 4 brl intake with a 600dp holley (to big for stock cam), hooker super comp headers, nice color scheme on the block (head is also now cast iron not blue...)

:read2::cheers:

hehe i know right!

clifford 4 brl intake with a 600dp holley (to big for stock cam), hooker super comp headers, nice color scheme on the block (head is also now cast iron not blue...)

Wow, is that yours?? Damn, that's sweet man. So, those headers are the same ones you reccomended me right? Also, all the smog equipment is still under the hood, and fully functional. Should I/would I have to take that all out, to equipt the headers?

Wow, is that yours?? Damn, that's sweet man. So, those headers are the same ones you reccomended me right? Also, all the smog equipment is still under the hood, and fully functional. Should I/would I have to take that all out, to equipt the headers?

yep she's mine:toothy10:
smog stuff..... uh... none... what state do you live in?
and yes those are the hookers

I'm in California. I don't need it on there as it's a no smogger. But I just don't know if I'd need to take it off or not.

goody! just moved from SLO!! College Town, born and raised...

so i would junk all of it... convert back to the old choke, not the electric controlled one...

goody! just moved from SLO!! College Town, born and raised...

so i would junk all of it... convert back to the old choke, not the electric controlled one...

Sweet bro!!!! So, junk ALL of it(smog stuff)? How would I convert back to the old choke?

-
Back