Need some advice

-
Come on, guys. The poster is a newbee to slants and sounds like to engines in general, and just wants to warm up a street engine. This is my take, and recommendation.
You will need someone to help you. Remove the head, and have it milled to get about a 9.0 to 1 compression ratio. This modification will give the best "bang for the buck". There is no down side to doing this, except for the amount of work. It will increase engine power over the complete rpm range, and also improve fuel economy. Use a super six "stock mopar 2 bbl" intake manifold. Save your money and forget the headers, not enough gain for the money, in your aplication. Stay with the stock exhaust manifold, and have a exhaust shop build a low restriction exhaust system from the manifold back.
For a carb, PM Slantsixdan and see if he has a "NEW" carb that will work.
If you have he money, while the head is off, you could have a good valve job done (oversize valves are an option, but not required), and the "bowl" under the valve opened up (called pocket porting).
After this is is a mater of tuning, such as modifing the ign curve in the distributer.

Haha, thanks man, that's pretty much what I want to do. I want more power basicly, something that can keep up with the traffic in a manor of speaking. So, thanks again for that info.

Come on, guys. The poster is a newbee to slants and sounds like to engines in general, and just wants to warm up a street engine. This is my take, and recommendation.
You will need someone to help you. Remove the head, and have it milled to get about a 9.0 to 1 compression ratio. This modification will give the best "bang for the buck". There is no down side to doing this, except for the amount of work. It will increase engine power over the complete rpm range, and also improve fuel economy. Use a super six "stock mopar 2 bbl" intake manifold. Save your money and forget the headers, not enough gain for the money, in your aplication. Stay with the stock exhaust manifold, and have a exhaust shop build a low restriction exhaust system from the manifold back.
If you have he money, while the head is off, you could have a good valve job done (oversize valves are an option, but not required), and the "bowl" under the valve opened up (called pocket porting).
After this is is a mater of tuning, such as modifing the ign curve in the distributer.
Would milling 80k off get most /'s to a 9.0 to 1 Compression Charrlie_S ? Just thought I would ask while you are here :happy10: Thank you for your time :happy10:

Would milling 80k off get most /'s to a 9.0 to 1 Compression Charrlie_S ? Just thought I would ask while you are here :happy10: Thank you for your time :happy10:

Mike, impossible to say. Too much variation in actual manufacturing as compared to specs, and aftermarket head gasket thickness. Need to pull the head and take measuremnts, then you can determine how much to mill.

Is this the Super 6 Intake I need, or no?? It's ending in 4 hours and if it's the right one, I'd like to go ahead and buy it. Is it in good condition, and everything???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270663560655&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Yes. but in my opinion, that is too much money, for just the manifold, It would cost you $150 when you include shipping. Then you still would need kickdown linkage (can use aftermarket).

Yes. but in my opinion, that is too much money, for just the manifold, It would cost you $150 when you include shipping. Then you still would need kickdown linkage (can use aftermarket).

True, so where can I find one with the kickdown Linkage?? Or, the Kickdown Linkage for this manifold?

I used the Bouchillon set up on My Dart with a Clifford and a 390 Holley. Worked out great. Also used Lokar for half the price with out any problems if cost is a issue. Bouchillon is much more OEM looking like it will out last the car.

Is the Bouchillon deal long enough to use on a sideways mounted Holley? I'm gonna need a throttle cable too, do they offer that?

So, is this the Super 6 I'd need?

Yes.

Will it work with that Holly Carb?

Not without an adaptor. That Holley is a #2300, which has a different (larger) mount pattern than the Carter BBD/Holley 2280/Stromberg WW3 mount pattern of a Super Six intake. This adaptation has been done before. Other carbs that share the larger mount base include the Motorcraft 2100, which has been installed on slant-6 engines with good success; see this post and the threads linked from it. See also parallel 2bbl setup info and Super Six article (some errors but mostly good info). Don't fret about the choke; if you wind up with a remote-choke carb such as a BBD, 2280, or WW3, you can install an electric choke kit —*that is if you have an exhaust setup equipped to accept a choke thermostat. Give some thought to Dutra Duals instead of headers for your daily driver. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Does anybody here have a Super Six set-up that's basicly complete and in good working condition that they'd be willing to sell?? Just curious as I missed that one on eBay.

Yes.

Not without an adaptor. That Holley is a #2300, which has a different (larger) mount pattern than the Carter BBD/Holley 2280/Stromberg WW3 mount pattern of a Super Six intake. This adaptation has been done before. Other carbs that share the larger mount base include the Motorcraft 2100, which has been installed on slant-6 engines with good success; see this post and the threads linked from it. See also parallel 2bbl setup info and Super Six article (some errors but mostly good info). Don't fret about the choke; if you wind up with a remote-choke carb such as a BBD, 2280, or WW3, you can install an electric choke kit —*that is if you have an exhaust setup equipped to accept a choke thermostat. Give some thought to Dutra Duals instead of headers for your daily driver. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

thanks for chiming in! i have no experiance with any of the two barrel stuff...

Thank you Charrlie. If someone is new to the game and is looking for advice, some people on here just want them to empty their wallet out on all kinds of crap thats not always necessary. People need to ask the original poster exactly what he wants out of his project and what his budget is. I was thinking I was going to get to the 5th page here and see that he has his shopping list up to $2500 with all kinds of new shiny junk that wont do much more than the standard upgrades will do.

I'm glad you guys didn't do this to me when I was new and getting advice on how to upgrade to a super six. I ended up finishing my upgrade for about $400 with a NOS carb thanks to guys giving me technical advice as well as advice on keeping my budget down.

In his original post, the OP ASKED about headers. headers are not cheap so that tells me (and evidently others) that he knows what headers cost. So, we can them make the assumption he can at least buy headers. He didn't ask if he NEEDED headers. Go back and look. he said he was looking at buying headers and a two barrel. He has access to the same internet anybody else does and can see the same prices we all can. How are we supposed to know what his budget is? He might not need headers, but he said right off the bat he was gonna buy some. Nobody's spendin his money. Nobody's givin him BAD advice. It's his decision to sift through what's available and make the decision on his own. Nobody's tryin to do that for him here.

Does anybody here have a Super Six set-up that's basicly complete and in good working condition that they'd be willing to sell?? Just curious as I missed that one on eBay.

I have a nice cast iron Super six intake but I'm in Georgia and they ain't cheap to ship.

In his original post, the OP ASKED about headers. headers are not cheap so that tells me (and evidently others) that he knows what headers cost. So, we can them make the assumption he can at least buy headers. He didn't ask if he NEEDED headers. Go back and look. he said he was looking at buying headers and a two barrel. He has access to the same internet anybody else does and can see the same prices we all can. How are we supposed to know what his budget is? He might not need headers, but he said right off the bat he was gonna buy some. Nobody's spendin his money. Nobody's givin him BAD advice. It's his decision to sift through what's available and make the decision on his own. Nobody's tryin to do that for him here.

Yes but if you'd read down to about the 4th or 5th post, he says that he's just starting to get into this and doesn't really know much about it. At that point, people should realize that he's looking for more than just product recommendations and should start digging a little deeper to help out.

Who knows, maybe he was talking to a friend or something about how to get more power out of the slant and he told him he needs headers. So he comes on here asking for headers and saying that he's new to this. You guys recommend him the correct headers, he spends $1000 or whatever it costs for headers and a new exhaust and now it sounds good but he can hardly even tell there is a difference in performance.

Did you answer his question? Yes. Did you actually help him with his goal? No. You just advised him to spend a lot of money that doesn't get much bang for your buck when working with a slant 6. To me, that's exactly what bad advice is. He's going to sift through a bunch of information thats basically a waste of money until someone finally chimes in and asks him why he wants headers and what his goal for the engine is. If he was a long time member asking for headers then thats one thing. If he's new, then give him information on headers and ask why he wants them on a slant six and what he expects to gain from them. That way when he says he wants more power, you can tell him there are other ways to go about it that cost less and will give you much more power than headers will on a relatively stock engine. It shouldn't take 3 pages to finally have someone chime in and say that.

Fair enough. Yall can have it then.

Who knows, maybe he was talking to a friend or something about how to get more power out of the slant and he told him he needs headers.

No, if a friend was offering advice, the first thing he'd say is "you should swap in a V-8", just like everyone else... ;)

Seriously, I agree with every thing you said, ESP47. My advice for a newbie is start small, learn the basics by tuning what you have to make it run the best it can, THEN move on to major modifications. Otherwise, you'll likely be VERY disappointed with the results and give up on slants like so many folks have, most because they never learned what slants like.

From experience Duster fan, I'll tell you that dropping in a V-8 is the easiest (and perhaps cheapest?) way to more power, but slants are WAY more fun to play with, and they're DIFFERENT. But there's a learning curve. It's not about just bolting parts on an engine.

Best of luck!

Yes but if you'd read down to about the 4th or 5th post, he says that he's just starting to get into this and doesn't really know much about it. At that point, people should realize that he's looking for more than just product recommendations and should start digging a little deeper to help out.

Who knows, maybe he was talking to a friend or something about how to get more power out of the slant and he told him he needs headers. So he comes on here asking for headers and saying that he's new to this. You guys recommend him the correct headers, he spends $1000 or whatever it costs for headers and a new exhaust and now it sounds good but he can hardly even tell there is a difference in performance.

Did you answer his question? Yes. Did you actually help him with his goal? No. You just advised him to spend a lot of money that doesn't get much bang for your buck when working with a slant 6. To me, that's exactly what bad advice is. He's going to sift through a bunch of information thats basically a waste of money until someone finally chimes in and asks him why he wants headers and what his goal for the engine is. If he was a long time member asking for headers then thats one thing. If he's new, then give him information on headers and ask why he wants them on a slant six and what he expects to gain from them. That way when he says he wants more power, you can tell him there are other ways to go about it that cost less and will give you much more power than headers will on a relatively stock engine. It shouldn't take 3 pages to finally have someone chime in and say that.

Blah...Blah...Blah....Take a pill dude.

Ok...Ad a free flowing 2.25" exhaust,and jet your 1bbl up 2 sizes.

There is a great 1st mod for a newbie.

Happy now ?

It's just a car site,with car guys talking shop. Nothing to get iregular about.

lol :toothy10:

Nobody mentioned all the head mods $$$ yet in order to accept the high lift cam... lol

The comp is not considered high lift. None of them are much higher than the best stock cam that came in the slant.

Update: Ok, I've got the Super Six Intake, and the following parts
1.Super 6 Intake
2.Kickdown Linkage
3.The bolts, studs and mini nuts to mount the carb are there as are the studs and nuts for the EGR. There are some bolts too for the carb air heat stove to bolt to the throttle linkage
4.choke stove
5.Carter 2-barrel Carb.(I've heard there's problems with these, should I just get a new one??)
He told me everything was there except the Air Cleaner. I'm planning on getting the Blue "Super Six" Decal sticker and putting it on mine when I get it.

-
Back