Passon performance 5 speed

-
I talked to Jamie about a week or two ago. He told me that they really aren't making the money that people think they are on this tranny. He also told me the current lead time is 12-14 months.

Ya, I'm sure the profit isn't near what most people might think but profit probably isn't as much in question as availability. Has he produced some recently?

Ya, I'm sure the profit isn't near what most people might think but profit probably isn't as much in question as availability. Has he produced some recently?

I didn't even ask. I was going to place an order for one, and that's when he told me 12-14 months out.

Same here.
Good guy?....yes but I will never pay for such an expensive item unless it is readily available and shipped promptly.
Too much can happen to a business in such a long wait time.

Be nice if he had some investors that could help him get these things stacked to the roof and ready for demand.

I got on the list about 3-1/2 years ago and continue the wait. I think his problem is finding suppliers who will build parts to his strict quality standards, especially in the quantities he would need to meet the production requirement to catch up to demand. It's gotta be super frustrating for him to know he's got a high quality product and a substatial demand and then not be able to find supplers of components.
I would love to hear that he has been able to produce and ship a few recently.

Oh, he doesn't take any money until he has your specific tranny scheduled for build and then calls to arrange payment so money isn't tied up long before your tranny arrives. You just get on his list and wait for the call. Or maybe wait and wait and wait for the call.

I'll sell the one in my '70 E-Body for $15000. It has less than 1500 miles on it and was properly broken in. It works perfect. :burnout: :violent1:

I'll sell the one in my '70 E-Body for $15000. It has less than 1500 miles on it and was properly broken in. It works perfect. :burnout: :violent1:

I'll take it if you leave it in the car....haha

That's good to know grim reaper.
Thanks for the info.

I take it he is using all suppliers from the U.S?

Just baffling in today's day and age there aren't companies chomping at the bit for his business.
Love to know what the deal is with suppliers.

That's good to know grim reaper.
Thanks for the info.

Just baffling in today's day and age there aren't companies chomping at the bit for his business.

It is baffling, if you could just pick up the phone and order one of these I would own at least one Passon 5 speed by now, but if I start thinking I will have to wait a year I just won't bother. I wonder how many more units he could have sold if he would of had a unlimited supply of them as soon as they got released a few years ago, I would guess he would have sold a 100 more in the last few years.

Yes, he wants it to be an American product. It is a bit surprising that he has supplier problems. Seems like people would be anxious to be involved in supplying parts but he has had supplier issue after supplier issue.
I'm sure he could have sold many more if availability was better. I know at least two guys who would have odered the A855 if they could have had one when the car was ready. Instead one went with a Hurst TKO600 setup and the other went the Viper 6 spd tranny route.

Without getting into details, some other people are now involved in getting this transmission into production. The future is bright but it will take some time.

The biggest problem Jamie has is that he's in a small market. He has orders for maybe 200, 300 transmissions, After those orders are fulfilled, the market will be less that 10 transmissions a year.
There no way he could set-up a supply chain like the big automakers, much less have an assembly line just for the A-855.
My hat off to Jamie for his perseverence to bring a "world class" 5 speeds, bolt-on transmission for us Mopar folks.

I will swap my 3.55 for a 2.79 until my A-855 is ready.

The biggest problem Jamie has is that he's in a small market. He has orders for maybe 200, 300 transmissions, After those orders are fulfilled, the market will be less that 10 transmissions a year.
There no way he could set-up a supply chain like the big automakers, much less have an assembly line just for the A-855.
My hat off to Jamie for his perseverence to bring a "world class" 5 speeds, bolt-on transmission for us Mopar folks.

I will swap my 3.55 for a 2.79 until my A-855 is ready.

I beg to differ. Even though the market is small, its larger than you give it credit for. Look at how many companies offer the Tremec swaps, and they are terrible....If this product can become readily available, it will be a nice addition his product line. Don't forget, it requires an 18 spline disc that most need to buy as well. I could have sold a dozen of these already.

Ya, I'm pretty sure if they were an available option there would be a steady demand.
Just over a year ago Jamie began modifying his process to get the parts to be able to build in batches of 150. He figured three batches would take care of the list and get him to regular ongoing orders. Parts quality and supply interferred. Hope the news from GmachineDartGT will get production back underway soon.

I beg to differ. Even though the market is small, its larger than you give it credit for. Look at how many companies offer the Tremec swaps, and they are terrible....If this product can become readily available, it will be a nice addition his product line. Don't forget, it requires an 18 spline disc that most need to buy as well. I could have sold a dozen of these already.

I hope the market is bigger than i thought:coffee2:

The main difference with Tremec is that the A-855 is for Mopar only.

I've said it before and I will say it again, its WELL worth the wait. I would not cut up any car for the inferior options out there on the market right now. I have had mine close to two years and haven't been kind to it and its working great! Hang in there.

i've said it before and i will say it again, its well worth the wait. I would not cut up any car for the inferior options out there on the market right now. I have had mine close to two years and haven't been kind to it and its working great! Hang in there.

x2

I was talking to the guy that runs a fairly large custom wheel company recently and he said he had to give up on U.S. suppliers for his castings, forgings, and spun rims. He still does the machining, welding, and other fabrication work in the U.S. in his shop, but over the years the number of U.S. companies that can supply good quality parts has dwindled to such a small number that lead times are crazy long, and if you have a QC issue be prepared to wait even longer for a resolution. Because of this, he said he now gets most wheel castings & forgings from China and has been 100% delighted with their turn-around time and excellent quality. He had to get some newly designed castings made recently and sent out quotes. Very few U.S. companies even bothered to give him quotes, but the ones that did have 6 month lead times! He said that he sent a UG solid model over to China, and in one week he had the first part sitting on his desk in CA!
The U.S.A. is totally f---ed if we can't even make a damn automobile wheel casting anymore!!!

The market would be a lot bigger if you could just pick up the phone and order one and have it in a week, I agree you could sell lots of them if you could get them.
In my circle of Mopar friends he could have sold 10 of them this year alone, but the more time that passes the window may close for a lot of these purchases.

last time i seen one in person it DID NOT look like it will fit an A body much less an earlyA trans tunnel with out chopping it up,,,

last time i seen one in person it DID NOT look like it will fit an A body much less an earlyA trans tunnel with out chopping it up,,,
[/QUOTE
Gold66Cuda has one in his early A and he did so with just a little notch for the speedo cable because Jamie hasn't got the adapter in production to change the angle of the speedometer cable yet. Otherwise I understand it fit perfectly.

-
Back