Passon performance 5 speed

-
Honestly, I fail to see the fascination of this transmission. I'm certainly not saying its not a good product.
I just like my stock 4 speed - also I like to drive not dream

Honestly, I fail to see the fascination of this transmission. I'm certainly not saying its not a good product.

Overdrive without any trans tunnel modifications. I think that's the lure.

Doesn't take a whole lot of imagination. You can run 4.10's in the back and still cruise the freeway at 80mph with your engine barely turning 3k rpm. Best of both worlds, great off the line pick up and real freeway driveability.

I suppose it's not a big deal with a mild or moderate engine, you run 3.23's and life is pretty good. That's what I run in my Challenger, no biggie. Toss a big cam in there though and life gets interesting. Even the 3.55's behind my 340 aren't recommended for my cam, but that's about as big as I want to go for freeway use. More than that and the poor thing is just screaming at freeway speeds. Maybe that doesn't matter for all the weekend warriors, but I commute in my car.

It's too bad the wait list is so long. To the point of wondering if some of those orders will ever get filled. I'm going to go the T56 route. A 5 speed would be enough, but going with something mass produced and picking up an extra gear isn't too bad either. Being able to bolt it in without serious modifications would be nice, but for me that doesn't matter. I'm not cutting up a 1 of whatever car, just a '74 Duster. ;)

I don't get why people would lose interest just because it's taking a long time. I guess it's because we (as a society) have developed an attitude of "I want it now!"

Is the idea of a bolt-in 5 speed overdrive transmission less bitchen today than it was 4 or 5 years ago?
The idea of an overdriven 5th gear is great.

Having faith in a company that takes 16 months to produce is hard to do.

I'm not familiar with this trans. Does it have internal parts that are standard to the industry? If not, what happens when you need to rebuild it?

Well that explains things a little - 16 months "or so" to go a steady 80mph (big ticket territory here in Oregon) without having to modify a rare numbers matching - hold the fort, now it's not matching... :coffee2:
Now you must understand I'm talking from the vantage point of someone who spent less for their car then what is wanted for one of these transmissions. Lol

Well that explains things a little - 16 months "or so" to go a steady 80mph (big ticket territory here in Oregon) without having to modify a rare numbers matching - hold the fort, now it's not matching... :coffee2:
Now you must understand I'm talking from the vantage point of someone who spent less for their car then what is wanted for one of these transmissions. Lol

In California you can't even go 65 mph in the slow lane on a freeway. 75 doesn't even get you to the fast lane most times. No middle ground, it's 80 mph or stop and go. :violent1:

And I spent WAY less for my car than I will be spending on a T56 swap. But I only spent 2k on my car, so pretty much every big ticket item costs more than my car. The 340 in it cost over 3x times what I paid for the car. All depends on what you want to do with your car. Since I wanted 400+ hp out of a stock stroke 340 and I want to be able to drive on the freeways without getting run over I need an extra gear. Or two.

The 16 month thing is the killer for me. I suppose if I'd had the money for the Passon 5 speed when I bought the car I might have my transmission now, but I didn't. US Cartool should have their T56 crossmember available in the next month or two, and I can have a brand new T56 here tomorrow.

I see your point but the view is different for different folks in different situations. 80MPH is the speed limit on the Interstate in several places here in Wyoming and I want to be able to take a 90 or 150 mile drive in my car at reasonably close to the speed limit.
For those with matching numbers they still have the original tranny sitting as a replacement, ready to bolt in if they should decide to part with the car as numbers matching. No floor pan or crossmember mods to spoil that.

Don't tell the guys with the white coats but I paid $525 for my car and I'm waiting (and have waited a few years now) to spend my money on a A855...got even more than the cost of the tranny in the engine and more than those together in other items cumulatively such as brakes, suspension, rear diff., interior, paint chrome, etc. And I'm not sure I even want to be treated for this illness:)

Jamie's transmission will fill a need (or want) for several folks when it is available.

In California you can't even go 65 mph in the slow lane on a freeway. 75 doesn't even get you to the fast lane most times. No middle ground, it's 80 mph or stop and go. :violent1:

And I spent WAY less for my car than I will be spending on a T56 swap. But I only spent 2k on my car, so pretty much every big ticket item costs more than my car. The 340 in it cost over 3x times what I paid for the car. All depends on what you want to do with your car. Since I wanted 400+ hp out of a stock stroke 340 and I want to be able to drive on the freeways without getting run over I need an extra gear. Or two.

The 16 month thing is the killer for me. I suppose if I'd had the money for the Passon 5 speed when I bought the car I might have my transmission now, but I didn't. US Cartool should have their T56 crossmember available in the next month or two, and I can have a brand new T56 here tomorrow.

Totally agree here! In California, if you're not doing 70 to 80 then the Semi-Trucks will plow you off the road.

I didn't know that US Cartool is making a T56 cross member. If I could install a 5 speed without having to cut anything, that would be awesome!

492! Wow! At a rate of one per day, five days a week that would take 18.5 mos.............Jamies's going to be one busy boy for a couple of years after he starts production back up!

Totally agree here! In California, if you're not doing 70 to 80 then the Semi-Trucks will plow you off the road.

I didn't know that US Cartool is making a T56 cross member. If I could install a 5 speed without having to cut anything, that would be awesome!

Yeah according to John US Cartool is a couple months out from having a T56 crossmember and tunnel cover. But the T56 requires a lot of surgery, the torsion bar crossmember has to be cut and modified and pretty much the entire tunnel has to be replaced.

But if US Cartool makes the crossmember and tunnel replacement, it would be a heck of a lot easier. Still, lots of cutting and welding. But for a 6 speed it's worthwhile.

This is US Cartool's 2004r mount. This one doesn't require tunnel mods, but you can see how extensive the modifications are to the crossmember. The T56 would require something similar, but the upper portion of the crossmember would have to be taller, and the tunnel has to be raised and widened.

DSC_0049-5-Large1_zpsjgretleb.jpg

Check out Toddron Restorations or TJFLY4PAY on this site for a Tremec crossmember too.

I've seen it. Nice piece, but not for $700+. US Cartool says theirs will be a few hundred dollars. The 2004r kit I posted above is $199.

Yeah according to John US Cartool is a couple months out from having a T56 crossmember and tunnel cover. But the T56 requires a lot of surgery, the torsion bar crossmember has to be cut and modified and pretty much the entire tunnel has to be replaced.

I'm assuming this will be for '67-'76, but not Early A's?

The idea of an overdriven 5th gear is great.

Having faith in a company that takes 16 months to produce is hard to do.

I'm not familiar with this trans. Does it have internal parts that are standard to the industry? If not, what happens when you need to rebuild it?

I can only guess that parts would be a problem too?
Nice guy or not, you can't buy a trans (or anything) that has such shaky manufacturing.

A friend just called Passon to get on the list but it seems there are still parts supply/quality issues :-(

I spoke to him about 2 weeks ago ( I am 400 something on the list). They are testing the new gear sets as we speak. Once he gets up and running I think he could burn through that back-log in a year to a year and a half. "Once he gets up and running" is the operative phrase. I can't throw stones. I first looked at his tranny in 2011 and my car is still not ready to take it.

I have done a lot of reading and still haven't seen anyone post they have a trans and driving the crap out of it. All I see is the same old problems for the last few years not good. I want to replace my 4 spd for a 5 speed to drive to autox events but need a strong trans. Im looking for something that will work for The Silver State challenge and so on. What would be a good option if I was to buy tomorrow. I really don't want to cut the car up either.

I've been beating the crap out of mine for about 2 years and I think there are a couple of other guys on here doing the same with theirs too. They are out there and are worth the wait. Might want to read the whole thread.

I've been beating the crap out of mine for about 2 years and I think there are a couple of other guys on here doing the same with theirs too. They are out there and are worth the wait. Might want to read the whole thread.

The thread on Moparts has much more info than this one.

-
Back