Passon performance 5 speed

-
last time i seen one in person it DID NOT look like it will fit an A body much less an earlyA trans tunnel with out chopping it up,,,
[/QUOTE
Gold66Cuda has one in his early A and he did so with just a little notch for the speedo cable because Jamie hasn't got the adapter in production to change the angle of the speedometer cable yet. Otherwise I understand it fit perfectly.

very kool good to know that thanks

if they were available now, I would take 4 of them. i'm looking at other options now, running out of time....i'll be done with the hobby before these are available, not getting any younger :cry::cry:

Reading this thread has made me want one of these again, I would even be able to take a short trip with the 3.91's to a car show or cruise. Let's see...12 to 14 mo. .....that's some where in the neighborhood of $12-$14 per day, that's going to be a hungry piggy bank snorting at me every day.:snorting:

How many years has this been going on for now??? I have to wonder how or why other companies like Liberty and G Force can crank out their own units with out too much trouble while Passon started advertising his years ago but can't deliver. I would not bother ordering or going on a list, if they're available fine, if not, I'll pass on that no matter how nice or cool the guy is.

I think the A855 was announced in November or December of 2010. He began production about a year and a half ago and got a few transmissions out to customers (best as I can determine from forums around 30) when he decided to change production methods in hopes of getting units out quicker. That's when he ran into more parts supply issues.
I think there are a lot of folks like you who don't want to bother with it if they can't order and have it shipped out. I was just talking to a friend today who had called Passon a few weeks ago to order a couple but he said he got such vague information regarding delivery and any production details that he has decide to go another route. It's a shame Jamie hasn't been able to secure more reliable suppliers and get a bunch of them out for us Mopar folks.

How many years has this been going on for now??? I have to wonder how or why other companies like Liberty and G Force can crank out their own units with out too much trouble while Passon started advertising his years ago but can't deliver. I would not bother ordering or going on a list, if they're available fine, if not, I'll pass on that no matter how nice or cool the guy is.

Made in China vs Made in USA...

I think the A855 was announced in November or December of 2010. He began production about a year and a half ago and got a few transmissions out to customers (best as I can determine from forums around 30) when he decided to change production methods in hopes of getting units out quicker. That's when he ran into more parts supply issues.
I think there are a lot of folks like you who don't want to bother with it if they can't order and have it shipped out. I was just talking to a friend today who had called Passon a few weeks ago to order a couple but he said he got such vague information regarding delivery and any production details that he has decide to go another route. It's a shame Jamie hasn't been able to secure more reliable suppliers and get a bunch of them out for us Mopar folks.

I agree with Doosterfy. I would never buy one of these now. I was quite excited when they first talked about them. But after several years, I lost my interest.

I have been waiting patiently for 16 months to hear from Jamie that the 855 I ordered was being built! I hope that the wait isn't another 16 months.

I respect the fact that this is made in America, that means something to me. But unless you have complete control over the manufacturing of the product, it's an absolute ****-show, we are in a similar situation as Passon with a product we are trying to have produced. Very frustrating knowing that it may be less chaotic, and cheaper, going overseas to have a product made, like MANY companies do.

Ya, it's a cryin' shame we've come to this. A good friend makes control equipment for the oilfield. He needed some mechanical components for his electronic controllers and sent request for quotes to many American manufacturers. All but two declined to bid. He had the two provide samples which were late and not even close to spec. So he got tired of the hassle and ordered from China. He had parts in hand in six weeks at a lower price than the American quotes. Nearly half a million bucks sent offshore. Bummer,
I think Jamie is facing the same issues and his customers have to wait while he struggles with less than adequate suppliers so he can provide a product made in the USA.

Jamie just posted an update on another forum and he has had some serious family matters that took priority over transmissions. He has recently received the parts required and if the parts pass his inspections he will be resuming poduction. He stated that he is committed to seeing this through even through the countless setbacks and frustrations. Yee-ha! So the wait continues....

Some of his parts
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/867739/106.html

I think U are assuming. Passon is a nice guy, but I think he is in over his head. I run a a833 with 1:1 4th gear and let the 340 sing

Not assuming. I've been following his thread on Moparts since the beginning. He is having everything made in the US. No Chinese junk. Is he in over his head? Probably. But read the update on Moparts. He has piles of parts to assemble but had family issues.

As far as letting the 340 sing, go for it. I'm too old for that. I want an overdrive. It would make my car truly liveable on the highway while allowing me to put in the 3.91 or 4.10 gears that it needs.

I don't get why people would lose interest just because it's taking a long time. I guess it's because we (as a society) have developed an attitude of "I want it now!"

Is the idea of a bolt-in 5 speed overdrive transmission less bitchen today than it was 4 or 5 years ago?

I don't get why people would lose interest just because it's taking a long time. I guess it's because we (as a society) have developed an attitude of "I want it now!"

Is the idea of a bolt-in 5 speed overdrive transmission less bitchen today than it was 4 or 5 years ago?

This is the truth. Being able to drive my car with a Passon in it has enhanced my entire driving experience to such a degree that having experienced it, I would patiently waited another 10 years for it. Glad I didn't have to though. :cheers:

I think there are folks who are at a stage in their project where they need to make a decision of what to do. A friend in Denver has a car that is ready to go together and he wants a five speed so he either has to wait an undetermined amount of time or settle for a lesser option which includes transmission tunnel mods. Once he cuts his floorboard he will not go back to the Passon option. I can understand him wanting to get his ride on the road. Those who have a running car and have the option to wait, yet decide on a different option are the ones I don't understand.

I think there are folks who are at a stage in their project where they need to make a decision of what to do. A friend in Denver has a car that is ready to go together and he wants a five speed so he either has to wait an undetermined amount of time or settle for a lesser option which includes transmission tunnel mods. Once he cuts his floorboard he will not go back to the Passon option. I can understand him wanting to get his ride on the road. Those who have a running car and have the option to wait, yet decide on a different option are the ones I don't understand.

Or do like a did. I installed an old A-833 i had until i could get my hand on an A-855.

i had Jamie build me an 18 spline aluminum cased A833 with internal mods ... i will play with it until i decide if i really need the 5 speed... i rarely go on highway ... 4 speed is all i need light to light ...

Does anyone have Jamie's email address? I looked on his website and cannot find it..

Well I took the plung, I'm on his list for a A855. Said 16 months, which isn't too bad since I will not need it till then...

-
Back