Passon performance 5 speed

-
Still reading these threads and Im still not convinced if the trans is ever built and shows up that would be great but I don't see it for $4500. for a trans that I hope there would be support for in parts, just in case. I looked at the other 5 spd conv there in the same price range give or take a couple hundred dollars. I now think if Im spending that much money and have to do some cutting and welding then The T56 looks like the way for me. Parts support just in case availability helps also. If Cartool actually makes a conversion kit that's even better. After all Im not getting any younger and I have a non numbers matching AAR Cuda that I drive and would like to drive on these wonderful freeways we have here. I need to repair all the hacking that went on back in the 70s cutting up the floor for a 4spd. I already have the pedals so Im going for it.

I've been beating the crap out of mine for about 2 years and I think there are a couple of other guys on here doing the same with theirs too. They are out there and are worth the wait. Might want to read the whole thread.

I'm gonna disagree, my experience with the 855 has not been good. less than 100 miles, falls out of gear just tooling down the road...from what I hear, I'm not the only one...

I'm gonna disagree, my experience with the 855 has not been good. less than 100 miles, falls out of gear just tooling down the road...from what I hear, I'm not the only one...

Ouch! That blows. Have you talked to them about the problem? What did they say?

Double ouch everytime I see the subject come up again I jump on to see if someone actually got one and to hear this.

That's why I would never have bought right away. I'll wait till others work all the kinks out of them and buy after a few years.

That's why I would never have bought right away. I'll wait till others work all the kinks out of them and buy after a few years.

The problem I see is there will never be the parts support for the 855 as for other mainstream transmissions. I applaud Jamie for what he's trying to do, it's a huge undertaking and it definitely addresses a hole in the market for Mopars. I would love to have a five speed and not have to fabricate a new tunnel and crossmember. But even if he sells thousands of transmissions, what happens 10 years from now when you need a rebuild or grenade a gear? Will the parts be available still?

I know for most people that's probably not a huge concern. Most of these cars are used on a limited basis, the car won't have a 100k miles put on it and the lifespan of the transmission will probably be longer than that of the owner. For me, I could put 100k on my car in under 10 years, and I could have my cars another 30 or 40 years. If I buy a T56, well, there aren't just thousands of those transmissions. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of them out there. Even if replacement parts aren't made in abundance, I can find other T56's for parts. But realistically, with that many transmissions out in the world there will be aftermarket support from multiple vendors for years. With the 855 you've got Passon, and you're not going to find parts on eBay or craigslist.

I have 2 of them. I of them has jumped out of 4th 3 times. it seems only when cold. I have about 400 miles on mine. the second one has never jumped out of gear. I think it might be a shifter adjustment. they have gotten very smooth with miles on them.

I think mine is the shifter adjustment, because when in 4th gear the shifter is slightly forward. I can feel that it does not engage far enough into 4th. the other one engages much farther. also when in 4th, the shifter is farther back. I have not re-adjusted it yet. I will post back when I do. mine were E bodys, so you have to totally remove all the shifter rods to install it. that's why I think I may be off......

I have 2 of them. I of them has jumped out of 4th 3 times. it seems only when cold. I have about 400 miles on mine. the second one has never jumped out of gear. I think it might be a shifter adjustment. they have gotten very smooth with miles on them.

I think mine is the shifter adjustment, because when in 4th gear the shifter is slightly forward. I can feel that it does not engage far enough into 4th. the other one engages much farther. also when in 4th, the shifter is farther back. I have not re-adjusted it yet. I will post back when I do. mine were E bodys, so you have to totally remove all the shifter rods to install it. that's why I think I may be off......
Good luck!

OK, it's been at least two month......what's the news? Have you got your tranny back and working?

Well that really sucks. Five grand tied up in a tranny you can't use for several months......can't he just swap for one that doesn't drop out of gear to get you running and figure out that tranny whenever?

Well that really sucks. Five grand tied up in a tranny you can't use for several months......can't he just swap for one that doesn't drop out of gear to get you running and figure out that tranny whenever?
If we were local to him maybe, but it'd be costly shipping it back and forth...

Do you still have the tranny? Looks like if it's not working Jamie would need to get his hands on it to make the fix........

Do you still have the tranny? Looks like if it's not working Jamie would need to get his hands on it to make the fix........
It's in the car, at a shop, coming home soon, and I'll get more involved in the fix. Had it installed by a very reputable shop while getting some other things taken care of, now it's coming back for me to deal with, one way or another. Might have to take a long drive even...

I guess no one went past the Passon booth at Carlisle... how about Nats? Can someone get an update on the A855 for us from the Nats?

Not sure about an update but at this point you would have to be nuts to spend $5000 on a boutique transmission that already has known problems. I thought about one for a while but like 72blu said what good will it be when it breaks in 5 years and you can't get parts? At this point I think he should sell the design to a big suppler and hope they can make enough of them to get the price down and have a parts source in the future. Time for me to start shopping for a t-56 install kit and cutting the new floor out of my Dart soon....

-
Back