Petronix Electronic Ignition Any Good?

-

Bossanova5

Reaction score
I have this Petronix 1318A Electronic distributor already installed in the engine.

Any feedback on the reliability of these?

I was going to buy a Mopar Performance electronic ignition set with the exterior mounted electronic orange box.

Thanks

20240706_141953.jpg

20240706_142000.jpg

Pertronix has a good reputation. If you've got it, and the car's not showing signs of ignition problems that would require a different setup, might as well save the money and effort for where it's needed.

The orange box has been junk for years and years. Whatever box colour, the Mopar electronic ignition, while better than points, is easily outdone by other ignition systems (HEI, for example). And the distributor in the MP kit comes with an advance "curve" totally unsuitable for use on the street (two ultra-lightweight springs: all the advance dumps in all at once).

Last edited:
If asked a few years ago I would have said they are fine, as I installed one of those 6-7 years ago and it is still running fine today. BUT, I have since had two others fail inside of a year (another vehicle). After researching online, I see similar feedback, making me think something has changed with quality or design in recent years. Not trying to scare you off, just create awareness so you can keep researching. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip.
Ideally, I would like to find a Chrysler OEM Setup (Distributor and Box) from the early 70's

I agree, they have a good reputation. That said, lets say you're cruisin around on a nice Sunday afternoon and the unit fails. Where are you gonna find one?

The nice thing about a pertronix unit on a points distributor is if it ever goes bad you can convert back to points in about 10 minutes and be on your way. Just carry points and condensers in the glovebox.

On the other hand, I have had pertronix on two cars for 4 years and 1 year and had no problems.

I agree, they have a good reputation. That said, lets say you're cruisin around on a nice Sunday afternoon and the unit fails. Where are you gonna find one?
^^^ this right here.

i know if i'm broke down at the *** end of hard luck i'll be able to find a mopar EI box somewhere any time of day or night.

^^^ this right here.

i know if i'm broke down at the *** end of hard luck i'll be able to find a mopar EI box somewhere any time of day or night.

This is exactly why I don’t order aftermarket stuff.
I run 8 pin GM HEI from a recurved and centrifugal limited stock electronic distributor.
You can get that **** anywhere.

I had one fail straight after install & heard of lots of other failures. I wouldn't use then.

Carry a points distributor in the trunk. If anything fails just swap that in and you are going again.

Better yet just leave the points distributor in the engine because it's the most reliable ignition on earth.

LOL. The Pertronix is almost indestructible except for dirty power.

Like a Mallory Unilite, they both need clean power or it WILL kill the Pertronix.

Jump starting the engine WILL kill the Pertronix.

Starting the engine with a battery charger hooked up WILL kill the Pertronix.

99.99% of the failures are owner induced.

If the Pertronix unit is an older one, they are almost bullet proof if installed correctly. A friend has one in his 72 Duster and has been running it for about 5 years with no problems once we got the timing sorted.

There are many guys on here run them. I do not, rather, HEI, but nothing against them except you won't find them, normally, in local stores. It would probably pay to buy TWO of the kits so you have repair parts if one fails.

Nothing wrong with the Petronix, I've used them and as long as they are installed correctly you should not have any issues.

That said... HEI is the way.

MY2C.

And the distributor in the MP kit comes with an advance "curve" totally unsuitable for use on the street (two ultra-lightweight springs: all the advance dumps in all at once).
Since when?
Even the race distributor came with one long looped heavy spring and a fast low spring rate primary spring.
Two light springs were sold seperately for those who wanted - possibly for the dual point drag race setups.
When Mallory made the MP vacuum advance distributors for Mopar Performance, they too came with a heavier long looped secondary spring. At least the one I bought and others I've seen.
This is why I am asking. DC/MP made changes without changing part numbers, so I don't doubt its possible. Again, that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:
If the Pertronix unit is an older one, they are almost bullet proof if installed correctly. A friend has one in his 72 Duster and has been running it for about 5 years with no problems once we got the timing sorted.
Yup. Have an old (10+ years) Pertronix in one of my trucks, and it runs great!

But would I install a new one today? Probably not, based on the horror stories I've read here and elsewhere.

(Although....it would be interesting to open 'em up and compare an old one with a new one, side-by-side....)

Last edited:
What happend to the points distributor that came with it?

The timing curve is more important than what is used to fire it off.
Granted, if it doesn't work, then having the correct curve doesnt do much good.

I run a petronics manual advance in my 360 magnum in my 66 Barracuda and have had no problems with the flame thrower 3 dist. I also run the flame thrower 3 coil with not even a hick up. But I imagine just as every other part out there for every good story there are 2 bad ones. All I can say is mine is great and I'm very happy with it. You do have to play with the timing a little bit but not bad. To each his own. You will have to experience it for yourself to find what fits you best. Hope this helps you out a little.

Petronix nice and simple but 2 Gotchas
apart from never needing to set points again its much the same as a points ignition when you talk about the spark

1) the system uses a Hall effect trigger. this is a special ceramic switch made from 3 pieces of semiconductor, bonded together. The switch is on when no magnet near and OFF when magnet is close. the collar in the dizzy has 8 magnets in it. The current to the coil runs through the semiconductor sandwich. If the car stalls and you leave the ignition on for long enough the semiconductor can burn out leaving you stuck. Also you need to pay special attention to the primary resistance of the coil and get the right ballast to effectively limit the current flowing when in normal use.

2) if you are rough with the collar that fits the centre shaft of the distributor armature it will come apart. 2 piece plastic holder which is pressed and glued together. If it does come apart you have 6 or 8 small magnets that all need to be re fitted into it the right way around. trouble is the right way around means you need to work out which is north and which is south and get them all to sit back in the right place in the ring while you put it back together, and they really do not want to.... this job is the devils work. Do not be tempted to take it apart. if it comes apart its going to be fun putting it all back. all magnets need to be the correct orientation and you don't know which is the correct orientation.

a step up from points that works effectively

Dave

Holy cow all he was asking is if the petronix was good or not you're throwing so much tech. at him he is more than likely hitting his head on a brick wall asking why did I say anything at all. Oh, and I meant mechanical advance .

it looks loke the op's dizzy is a mopar one with a pertronix conversion replacing the points and condensor. i'd just keep a set of points and a condensor (and a screwdriver of course) in the glove box and you can always get home.
neil.

-
Back