ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
Well what's the verdict you running out to get some Speedmaster heads? Black Friday is coming quick...
I am SERIOUSLY considering it. I do have enough money saved up in my project fund to drop the hammer If they go on sale. I think I’d get the bare heads (possibly CNC?) as I’d be putting them on a 5.9 magnum so I’d either need to get rockers that can oil through the pushrods or run external oil lines.

I’m planning on swapping out the tiny factory magnum cam and replacing it with this one.
Voodoo Hydraulic Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 (W/ Long Snout) 264/270
So I have a few questions.
1. I know I’ll need to get rocker shafts that are oiled through the pushrods, since my engine is a 96 5.9. Would y’all use 1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers?
These...
Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 1.6 Ratio Stainless Steel Roller Rocker Arm Set
Or these... (or something else)
Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 1.5 Ratio Stainless Steel Roller Rocker Arm Set

Question 2. Would y’all recommend getting the assembled heads and running them as assembled or buy the bare heads and buy the recommended springs for that particular camshaft?

I’d probably install felpro 1008 headgaskets as well to get as much of a bump in compression as possible since it’s got the stock slugs.

Then again, after reading what @PRH discovered in post #138 and the next several posts in this thread 35% off SpeedMaster I may have to skip the speedmaster rockers and spend a little more and get something of better quality/design.

Was it Summit or Jegs that had them on sale last year?
I've had one of the intakes in my shopping cart for long over 6 months now... Just waiting for the day to come LOL... Every couple of months they kick it out and I just go right back on and put it back in...

I’m planning on swapping out the tiny factory magnum cam and replacing it with this one.
Voodoo Hydraulic Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 (W/ Long Snout) 264/270
So I have a few questions.
1. I know I’ll need to get rocker shafts that are oiled through the pushrods, since my engine is a 96 5.9. Would y’all use 1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers?
These...
Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 1.6 Ratio Stainless Steel Roller Rocker Arm Set
Or these... (or something else)
Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 1.5 Ratio Stainless Steel Roller Rocker Arm Set

Question 2. Would y’all recommend getting the assembled heads and running them as assembled or buy the bare heads and buy the recommended springs for that particular camshaft?

I’d probably install felpro 1008 headgaskets as well to get as much of a bump in compression as possible since it’s got the stock slugs.
On my 2000 magnum with the LA Trickflow heads. I am useing PRW 1.6 Roller rockers and Smith Brother push rods thst allow push rod oiling. There are only a few rocker arms that will do push rod oiling. PRW, comp and Harland Sharp. Then you get into the high dollar T&D and Jesse. If your magnum is a 95 you might of lucked out and got a magnum block that is still drilled for for LA head oiling.
Also unless you don't want to mess with the short block right now. While you have it apart I woukd put some KB 107 pistions in it. They are around $300 from summit. They are a flat top pistion with valve reliefs. Thsts what I have in my 2000 360 magnum engine. But those pistions, felpro 1008 head gaskets and the 60cc chamber of the trickflow head. I am right at 11.1 compression..I race my dakota on 93 pump gas. For the rocker arm set up I would get ahold of Mike at B3 racing engines
Thats wear I got my rocker arms kit and push rods. He is great to work with and won't try to sell you something you don't need.

On my 2000 magnum with the LA Trickflow heads. I am useing PRW 1.6 Roller rockers and Smith Brother push rods thst allow push rod oiling. There are only a few rocker arms that will do push rod oiling. PRW, comp and Harland Sharp. Then you get into the high dollar T&D and Jesse. If your magnum is a 95 you might of lucked out and got a magnum block that is still drilled for for LA head oiling.
Also unless you don't want to mess with the short block right now. While you have it apart I woukd put some KB 107 pistions in it. They are around $300 from summit. They are a flat top pistion with valve reliefs. Thsts what I have in my 2000 360 magnum engine. But those pistions, felpro 1008 head gaskets and the 60cc chamber of the trickflow head. I am right at 11.1 compression..I race my dakota on 93 pump gas. For the rocker arm set up I would get ahold of Mike at B3 racing engines
Thats wear I got my rocker arms kit and push rods. He is great to work with and won't try to sell you something you don't need.
Yeah I’d planned on using the speedmaster rockers but after seeing what PRH discovered in that other thread with the rockers hitting the springs, I think I’ll go ahead and spend the money and get PRW rockers.
I’ll be leaving the bottom end alone for now other than the cam. It’s a street car, autocrossed 2 days and never ran it down the track...yet. But first and foremost, it’s a street car. Also, the long term plans for the car include a Hemi swap so this engine will end up in another car or maybe a tin grill pickup. At that point, I can put in other pistons if I’d like.

Yeah I’d planned on using the speedmaster rockers but after seeing what PRH discovered in that other thread with the rockers hitting the springs, I think I’ll go ahead and spend the money and get PRW rockers.
I’ll be leaving the bottom end alone for now other than the cam. It’s a street car, autocrossed 2 days and never ran it down the track...yet. But first and foremost, it’s a street car. Also, the long term plans for the car include a Hemi swap so this engine will end up in another car or maybe a tin grill pickup. At that point, I can put in other pistons if I’d like.

That’s a good plan.

Tell me which one is a speedmaster and which one is a PRW......

20191216_150825_resized.jpg

20191216_150801_resized.jpg

20191216_150753_resized.jpg

Wrong...........

Let me go look in the box...but i am pretty sure the top was the PRW

-
Back