RHD '67 Barracuda Rag Top.

Mopar General Discussions

1. 89on35s

89on35s Inferno Red Duster FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:32 PM
    I'm sure I read another build thread on a rhd Cuda vert here on FABO. Might be worth a search.

Cley

2. toplscuda

toplscuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:32 AM
    • Like Like x 2
    • dartslantsix

dartslantsix Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:32 PM
      That steering setup is really interesting. I'd love to see a closer pic of the steering box.

• Like Like x 1
      • trigger_andy

trigger_andy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        6:32 AM
        Ive seen the guy in that tread posting on the UK Mopar sites. The other guy who commented is the Andy I know about. :)

Ive been sent a picture of the Fender Tag. It is a '69 Soft Top. So I'll need to have a closer look at the rear quarters when I get it on Monday.

• trigger_andy

Local Time:
        I'll get one when it arrives. :) Im sure it will be the same as all the other RHD mopars though.

• moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        If that's the case and it's a 68 up. The vin will be on the dash frame. That part looks like it's missing. You prob need to contact the person who sold it to junk dealer.

• trigger_andy

Local Time:
        Ok, damn. :( Could this be a show stopper if its not traceable?

• moparmat2000

Local Time:
        Theres ways of getting repop vins. Not sure of the hoops you got to jump through though. Heres one on evilbay. The rosette rivets are about $25 a pair.

Screenshot_20200618-151522_eBay.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • moparmat2000

Local Time:
          Under hood fender data plate has the full vin stamped in it on the bottom row. If it's a 69 the last 8 of the vin are also stamped on the top LH side of the radiator support, and on the LH side trunk weatherstrip rail, under the weather stripping.

Last 8 on the vin reads 9Bxxxxxx
          9 for 69
          B for dodge main Hamtramck Michigan. May be a different digit if built in California however I dont think any A body cudas were built in california.

My stampings on my 69 read B9xxxxxx on both panels, however the vin reads 9Bxxxxxx not really a big deal.

Hopefully your data plate is there, however the numbers can be pieced together if you have a 69 that's the year they stamped the last 8 of the vin in the body in those 2 places

vin should read BH27F9Bxxxxxx
          B barracuda
          H high line
          27 convertible
          F 318V8 (D in this spot if a 273V8)
          9 model year 1969
          B Hamtramck Michigan
          xxxxxx last 6 is sequence code.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • moparmat2000

Local Time:
            The only number that's an iffy on the vin is the engine code. Not sure if the 273 V8 was the only export engine in 1969 on export barracudas, or if the 318 V8 was offered on 1969 export barracudas the 5th digit is either an F or a D. Both used the same K frame and motor mounts, however if the data plate is on the inner fender, for 69 up the last row of digits are the full vin.

• trigger_andy

Local Time:

Awesome! So getting it registered to get it back on the road (in the distant future) is not insurmountable. :)

yes, that is indeed what the Fender Tag states. :) Are they something you should not really share?

I See its Seafoam Turquise Metallic

• trigger_andy

Local Time:

Handy to know. :) Thanks.

• moparmat2000

Local Time:
            You could take a pic of the tag and post it here if you want it decoded but I would blank out the last 8 digits of the vin # stamped on it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • trigger_andy

Local Time:
              The 318 was an option, maybe the only option? Looks like this one came with a 318, as did the '68 Fastback I had years ago.

I'll have a spare 340 (that needs rebuilt) Might be a good donor one day. :D

• trigger_andy

Local Time:
              I ran it through a decoder earlier this evening. :) Thanks though.

• moparmat2000

Local Time:
              Again this only works if it's a 69 up. That's when they started stamping the last 8 digits of the vin on the top LH side of the radiator support, and top LH side of the trunk drip rail under the weatherstrip. That may be on the RH side on this car like the vin is. If it's a 67 or 68 the numbers wont be the last 8 of the vin.

Does the car have the fender tag on it? I would try to find the seller of the car. There may be a shed full of parts from it somewhere. Who knows, they may give it all to you to haul it off. That would save you some serious coin trying to hunt down a lot of the hard to find pieces.

So is it a 9B Vin ? A 1969 car? That's probably more rare than you think. Chrysler didnt sell many 69 barracudas at all. People were waiting for the all new 70 model

• trigger_andy

Local Time:

Yes, the fender tag is still on the car. :) I really do hope I can find the parts, I'll speak with the current seller when he comes with it on Monday. Really hope to get some good news on that front but I'll not hold my breath.

• moparmat2000

Local Time:
              If it's a 69 up. You got the full vin on the data plate. That and matching body numbers , should be enough to get a new dash vin tag made. Not sure what vin number laws you have there in Scotland in that regard.

If you got a 340, that would be cool. Maybe make a formula S tribute car.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
              • moparmat2000

Local Time:
                trigger_andy

Heres proof that nothing ever gets lost or disappears on the internet. I found this on a UK cars website. I do believe with almost 100% certainty that this is yours before the dissassembly occured. The colour and wheels are a match. It was a 318 car, with white interior, and is a 1969 model. I was hoping that sale ad would have had the vin number. BTW did you get the car, maybe find out who prev owner was, maybe get the rest of the parts?

unnamed.jpg

images.jpeg-2.jpg

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-180325_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-181118_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
                • Like Like x 4
                • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                • trigger_andy

Local Time:

Wow, just spotted this! Thats awesome! Yes, without a doubt thats my car. Gutted that everything is missing but Im hopeful I can track down the missing bits.

Even with the crappy paint it was still a looker!

The only good thing about being so stripped down is now I can rebuild it right and not worry if Im doing the right (or wrong) thing in disassembling it. If/when I struggle to rebuild it its not gonna me my fault for the condition its in. :D

Im planning on having her media blasted when I'm next at home. Then will deal with the rust after that.

Ive managed to track down a whole heap of parts for a RHD Barracuda inc a mint condition Dash and a Drivers (US passenger) door and even a '69 Barracuda Hood. The white interiour is something else though, lovely!

Found the link and Im contacting the seller. :)

Out of interest did all the Convertibles have power tops?

Was gonna ask what additional strengthening did the Convertibles have added? Torque Boxes maybe? Cant find anything on-line. When I send her for media blasting I'll have to doors off, I'm assuming I should add some strengthening in the door openings etc?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
                • moparmat2000

Local Time:
                  All verts had power tops. Most of that mechanism to power it can be had new from Auto Metal Direct and other sources. The hydraulic actuators can be rebuilt.

Verts had different wheel houses, and also had torque boxes tying the front and rear subframe to the rockers better. The doors and door jambs had wedges to prevent the doors from being floppy from cowl shake. I would recommend adding subframe connectors to it. You can PM me, and I will give you a better lowdown on how to do that inexpensively and also tobe able to keep the chassis square.

Best of luck to you on restoring such a rare beast. Hopefully you can find the rest of the needed parts. A lot of the pieces minus the RHD specific bits are common cuda and A body stuff. Maybe members here can help.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
                  • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                  • trigger_andy

Local Time:

Thanks for the info. :)

I tried to PM you but cant see how to do that. :D

Different Wheel houses? id be interested in seeing the difference between them. Same as the info on the Door Jambs.

Any info on how to keep the chasis square so I can get it blasted safely would be much appreciated. :)

• moparmat2000

Local Time:
                    It's pretty easy. Click on my screen name, and a drop down menu pops up. Has option to "start conversation". Click on that and type in the heading you want for the message, then fire away with your questions. I dont own a vert, but when you open the doors theres wedges that hold them tight into the jamb when closed so they dont shake up and down real bad when on a rough road. If your replacement door is from a hardtop, you will need to modify it for the door wedge. Ditto for the rear wheel houses. The trunk drops and trunk floor and main floor is the same as a hardtop though.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                    • trigger_andy

Local Time:
                      I'll have to have a look at the Doors when Im home next and check out these wedges. :)

• trigger_andy

Local Time:
                      Well a little bit of an update since I last posted.

With thanks due to @moparmat2000 who posted the 10 year old add a few posts ago I was able to contact the seller via a link in the old add that was linked to the Ebay listing. Obviously the old ebay listing was long gone but the sellers name was still there. He in turn contacted the guy he sold it to and it was the previous owner that had it before me. As luck would have it he still has what he describes as 10 boxes of bits for the car and we agreed on a price for them. That was on the 15th of July and trying to pin him down to a date for collection is proving difficult. Will have to see how this one pans out.

But I have managed to track down and purchase a solid and rust free RHD Dash that came out of another Barracuda. Plus a mint Instrument Cluster and a RHD Wiring Harness. I also bought a real nice Gas Tank, Rust free door and Rear Seats from the same guy, but unfortunately the rear seat does not fit. Im lead to believe the rear Seats on the Convertible are different than the Coupe and FB.

I now also have the car registered in my name and have received the Log Book. Again a little bit of sleuth work and getting in contact with a Mopar Guru in the UK who has been keeping a detailed log on these RHD cars who through the VIN on the Fender Tag was able to get me the Licence Plate number making registering the car in my name that much easier.

I also have a couple of 1/4 panels on their way over to the UK as we speak. I managed to buy one of AMD's 1/4 that was on 50% sale but could not afford the other which was still full price, or sold out. So I bought a cheaper RHD version. Which I'm hoping will be good enough?

118232758_310330380288637_6424188799751089866_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.