SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
Camshaft Type:
 Hydraulic Roller
Basic RPM Range:
 1800 to 5500
Valve Lift Intake:
Valve Lift Exhaust:
Duration Intake:
Duration Exhaust:
Duration at 050 Intake:
Duration at 050 Exhaust:
Lobe Separation:
Intake Centerline:
Stall gonna make or break your combo, I got a similar cam in my 5.9l crate, runs ok with 2.xx:1 gears and a 2800 stall but I do have 42 cid more but really I need more stall and gears if I wanted to get everything from it.

Carb is damn good.. the springs helped sooo much.. i put in the 3# to get it to idle good and will tune is soon as i get it ready to drive. the rods bouncing up and down made it sooo rich before :)
Mine was doing it too. All I had were some Edelbrock springs, but they worked. lol

Stall gonna make or break your combo, I got a similar cam in my 5.9l crate, runs ok with 2.xx:1 gears and a 2800 stall but I do have 42 cid more but really I need more stall and gears if I wanted to get everything from it.
I have 4.57 gears and 3200 9.5" FTI converter.... car is just for stop light fun on the way to work so i won't be revving super high..

On the other hand if you wanna not mess around and get the best bang for the buck.. you can still get motorhome 440's running for well under 1k.. only major expense putting that in would be headers.. with a cam/intake you would have a killer a-body..
True story, I just picked up a 440/727 complete from alternator to neutral safety switch switch for $500 and I already had a set of mounts to drop it into my 69 barracuda instead of the slant six... Money well spent

True story, I just picked up a 440/727 complete from alternator to neutral safety switch switch for $500 and I already had a set of mounts to drop it into my 69 barracuda instead of the slant six... Money well spent
That's gonna be awesome :)

Carb is damn good.. the springs helped sooo much.. i put in the 3# to get it to idle good and will tune is soon as i get it ready to drive. the rods bouncing up and down made it sooo rich before :)
thats a good cam imo sounds great
nitrous fixes that quick too

Took the top end off..

Has 360 heads on it
Comp Cam 10-268H
Sloppy double roller Timing chain..
Pistons are Flat tops and at tdc are 0.0852 in the whole

Took the top end off..

Has 360 heads on it
Comp Cam 10-268H
That's under 8:1. Probably like 7.6:1.

Since your pulling it apart, not a huge fan of milling the **** out of everything but you could get the decks and heads milled for cr bump, but that cost money so pistons start looking like an option etc..

In away I'd do a zero deck short block, even if you had to run it almost stock at 1st gives a good base to do performance upgrades on later.

Took the top end off..

Has 360 heads on it
Comp Cam 10-268H
If you are gonna keep it as is, there are .028 compressed thickness head gaskets that will help.. not a ton but every bit..

BTW.. buy the trick flow billet timing chain.. it's $100 and quality... not a spot to go cheap.

Since your pulling it apart, not a huge fan of milling the **** out of everything but you could get the decks and heads milled for cr bump, but that cost money so pistons start looking like an option etc..

In away I'd do a zero deck short block, even if you had to run it almost stock at 1st gives a good base to do performance upgrades on later.

what you think about decking it with the OEM Flat top pistons?
how much could be done ?

i am dumping the 360 heads and i consider the SM 65cc chamber heads
whit the Whiplash Cam (didnt know about this cam before )
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=30170

If you are gonna keep it as is, there are .028 compressed thickness head gaskets that will help.. not a ton but every bit..

BTW.. buy the trick flow billet timing chain.. it's $100 and quality... not a spot to go cheap.
+1 on that summit/trick flow chain, it's a real VFM piece

let's close that.
I see some guys here starting to talk to "personal"
And I ve now understand the " Mopar guys Reputation"
You showed it !!!

While others have been helpful...
You dick arround 24/7 on the forum, that tells everything,
You have nothing to do BUT to critisize others online and be a know it all.

I will not ask further questions
i think you're the one taking it personal. lighten up a little francis.

"mopar guys reputation" lolz. more like you've shown the GM guys reputation in that you're having a whinge because you didn't get the answer you were looking for, nobody spoon fed you the information and you've figured out that there's not an easy button.

stick around, ask questions, there isn't a forum on the internet with a deeper pool of knowledge and good people than here. and i should know, i'm on all of them, dicking around 24/7 criticizing everybody like the know it all that i am.

how much could be done ?

i am dumping the 360 heads and i consider the SM 65cc chamber heads
whit the Whiplash Cam (didnt know about this cam before )
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=30170
if you're going to delve into machine work, then you're into the 360 paradox. why spend that money on a 318 when you can make more power, easier and cheaper with a 360. and if you're gonna zero deck it, then why not get some decent pistons? something that can take spray or boost? as they say: in for a penny, in for a pound.

i'd deck the 360 heads, run a thin head gasket and choose a small cam and roll. cheap, quick and easy. probably make something like 300hp and a nice bit of torque.

Last edited:
No one ever gets "Lighten up Francis" which just makes me like it soo much more :)

Lo compression 340, whiplash cam and 3.23 gears runs 13.20 in the quarter mile.
...that's hard to believe.

Lo compression 340, whiplash cam and 3.23 gears runs 13.20 in the quarter mile.
...that's hard to believe.
Harder then stock 340 tm5 700 dp 3.55s 50s street tires13.1@103 for 40 yrs car bought new??
Theres a vid of that cuda running 12.96@104 just from going from 3.23s to 3.91s
He wasa moparts member
Takes very lil to run high 12s in a 340 a body if you have 1/2 a clue
intake
carb
gears
traction
Being able to tune
Stock 3.91 cars ran 99 mph
104 mph withe traction high 12s

how much could be done
I'm screwing one together now. Got it with a project I bought a long time ago and was zero decked with stock pistons. Its doable but you'll need to machine manifolds to fit. I went through my pile of manifolds around 8 or more to find one that fit, a Weiand single plane.

and if you're gonna zero deck it, then why not get some decent pistons? something that can take spray or boost? as they in for a penny, in for a pound.

i'd deck the 360 heads, run a thin head gasket and choose a small cam and roll. cheap, quick and easy. probably make something like 300hp and a nice bit of torque.
This^^^

Build the best short block you can afford then just change the top end when you want to go faster.

BACK IN THE DAY i BUILT MY 318 ON THE CHEAP cut the heads 20tou valve job holley street dominator and a 340 cam put in an 83/4 rear with 3:55 gears as the stock rear melted after a few runs also ran a thermoqaud off a 74 440 was good enough to keep up with firechickens fun car for a few $$ you don't have to spend big $$ to get a decent amount of power from a 318

-
Back