shots from the garage...

-
finally got all the brake leaks GONE!! really tested my patients.... except now I'm seeing that I think I need to reverse the fluid resivior on the master.... that's the way it came, but I think it would work better reversed.

finally got all the brake leaks GONE!! really tested my patients.... except now I'm seeing that I think I need to reverse the fluid resivior on the master.... that's the way it came, but I think it would work better reversed.

I assume this is segmented for front and rear , so reversing it may not be a good idea. I could be wrong , and mine is out in the garage so I can't immediately verify.......but there is always a larger reservoir for the front brakes on every master cylinder I have seen.

Seemed like a pretty cool idea at 1:00 in the morning :)..... I'm leaving it alone. Drove the car out of the trailer and aligned it today... first time it's driven under it's own power since Feb 2012. Bled the brakes and they still are not good, but the wilwood calipers have two sets of bleeders and I needed to r/r the front wheels to access the outer bleeder without making a mess.... or at least that's what I'm "assuming" I need to do. Didn't have time at work to dive into that.... so back on the jackstands it goes.

Seemed like a pretty cool idea at 1:00 in the morning :)..... I'm leaving it alone. Drove the car out of the trailer and aligned it today... first time it's driven under it's own power since Feb 2012. Bled the brakes and they still are not good, but the wilwood calipers have two sets of bleeders and I needed to r/r the front wheels to access the outer bleeder without making a mess.... or at least that's what I'm "assuming" I need to do. Didn't have time at work to dive into that.... so back on the jackstands it goes.

Congratulations! The little details, are killing me,without lack of ambition or passion. Kudos,to you.

Me likes!!! Props to you on the build. I cannot wait to see more pics.

drooling_homer-712749.gif2.png

Sheesh get it done and out there soon will ya...Ya might have enough time left to make the MATS if you quit letting housework get in the way :)

Really thinking at the pace I get to work on this thing that I'll be at MaTS with the lil 360 in place Al as I have to fab up a motor plate to fit the belt drive set up.... fabricating is not my strong point, and cutting aluminum plate sucks. I've found out that my comfort level racing is being able to flip open a catalog, order the required part, and "maybe" having to change it some to get it to fit. Project next has gone beyond that scope. either way, I'm hoping to have somewhat of a pattern worked up with some plywood by the end of the weekend. Also bought some 350 springs to try in place of the 300's that are on there. Not sure how much ride height I can get with adjusting the lower spring seat.... or how much is too much for shock extension.

ordered belts and header teathers monday. Test and tune is two weeks out so I'm looking forward to hauling the car to the track for the first time since Feb of 2012.

.....will play around a little with the 360 and make sure we are comfortable with all the changes to the car before going to "project next".

good get the dust out of the chassis!! shoot a picture of the engine compartment and post it after you have it running Jay!

It does run!! .....just with the lil motor for now. We want to have some fun. I never seem to have or make time to work on it.

I have got one of those Kevko oil pans on my car also not a nice of piece then you but it a stock looking one.

Attachments

• 413.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,171
I have got one of those Kevko oil pans on my car also not a nice of piece then you but it a stock looking one.
That's a good looking pan. Never knew, Kevco made a stock type pan. Good to know,thanks.

Made the trek to Las Vegas for a test and tune... With all the "new" crap on the car I was a bit anxious to say the least. My first intention was to launch and do a 1/2 pass just to make sure everything would work ok with the new front suspension and brakes. Car launch was an uneventfull 1.56 and went straight so I thought "what the H..." we'll run it out the back. Short shifted as the poor gear/slick combo for this engine made it take FOREVER for the shift light to come on, but was rewarded with an 11.09 @ 120.57. Not to shabby for the ole iron head 360. Car stopped nice and smooth, engine temp only 150, trans temp 150 and pretty much all fluids stayed where they were supposed to with the exception that we had some out of the rear trans vent. Cleaned it up and made another pass. This time I waited for the 6400 shift point to arrive and ran a 11.03 @ 121.7. All in all another pretty boring pass.... but that's a good thing at this point. Upped the launch rpm from 3500 to 5k and dropped the 60 down to 1.53 and ran a 10.98. Car ran well, so we stayed the night and raced Sunday. Probably will not get another "gift" day like the one I got. 1st and second round I was handed red eyes by my opponents. 3rd round I got a bye due to running a 10.982 on a 10.98 dial. On that "free" pass I felt I left good, but got a -.028 red. I upped the dial to 10.99 for the fourth round and felt I left good, but once again, -.028 red. At least I'm consistant!! Going to have a new t-brake button and trans catch can on before the next race. I'm tied for 3rd in points right now!! :p

pulled the tailshaft to inspect the "fluid from the vent" situation...

hole has been plugged and sealing ring in place.... not sure why we're getting some fluid out of there. trans not overfull, didn't do it with last motor.... not sure what to think at this point, but it's getting a "puke tank" installed.

I'm in the center with my dad to my right, and my "go to guy" Dave to my left.... great weekend!

you know bob we'd given that some thought as we do run a stub locking dipstick. Thought just "maybe" that could attribute so we raced sunday with the stock dipstick it which we all know, is very vented. Same little bit of fluid. Only other change to this, besides the much lower HP engine, was that I chit canned the heavy hydraulic hose my dad was using for the trans cooler in favor of some -6 line and fittings. Also.... I quit using the "zig zag" cooler he had in favor of a 2qt heat sink type mounted at the front of the car. Maybe I'm getting more flow??? not sure, and definately not sure if that would change/cause this issue.

the change in cooler size maybe the culprit. I see it in post #32, not a real lot of tube area to fins area. I have one the the zigzag type (5 or 6 row) and it sits slam up tight to my fuel tank and cools fine and the trans has never ever spit fluid out. you might want to consider going back to it. just for the record I never did like the vent in the back as I feel its sits too low.

generic button gone in favor of a new adjustable unit... we'll see how this works next saturday.

I know...... should only make one change, but the battleship 350 springs just bothered me. I took them off and reinstalled the 300lb springs. Recommended preload is 1.5", but I went 2" which put the spring at 6.75" at ride height. Will give the shocks more extension on launch which may slow it down some too.

car is sitting on all fours and ready for the hood to be pinned on and loaded up tomorrow for next weekends adventure.

Cars been loaded since last Sunday... got some more goodies for the W8. Brian Smith had some nice cnc spacers made up so I grabbed a pair from him. He's also indicated that he's going to make a few more motor plates, so rather than try and hack out my own, I may just have him do one.

Playing with the "pattern" Tubtar so graciously sent me. Between that and some other ideas I've had sent my way I could probably fab something up, but I want it to look nice....and with the resources I have local, probably isn't going to happen.

Car ran consistant all weekend again! Bagged $200 in a final test hit "run for the money". Still all over on the lights.... just can't find a comfort zone, but seat time is the charm for that. At least I had more bad lights on the green side, than the red the last time out. Grabbed a few more win rounds and made it to the final 6 before going .011 red. Borrowed some scales so that will be my next project before MaTS.

Yeah...saw that 10.970 on a 10.970 for the run for the money....

who's tranny brake button are you using?

It's a Biondo Terminator. Jesse had a spare one so I bought it off of him. So far I've left it alone. Points race 1 the last two rounds I had .028 reds. I was in the green most of the weekend, but still afraid to "hit" the tree. Just got to find my comfort level again..... or change to the other engine and start from scratch :). I have Al's scales down here so that will be my weekend project. It was really favoring the right at launch.

-
Back