So, TTi says my Hookers are made wrong, are they full of crap?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Actually, I kind of already know they're full of crap, but they blame the headers for the fact that their adapters to run their exhaust system don't fit.

Does anyone think this exit on the passenger side exhaust looks highly unusual?

IMG_0748.jpg

The TTi piece 'S' curves over to go through the proper place in the crossmember, but is angled such that it totally hits the crossmember instead of passing through the opening. If I have the adapter cut, pipe rotated about 35* and welded back up I'm pretty sure it'll fit, it just seems like a helluva lot of "tolerance" for Hooker to be loose on.

If anyone's got hookers, or even better hookers and the TTi adapters for their system, I'd be curious to hear what you did.

EDIT: After Jimmyray posted the pic below, I'm willing to give TTi the benefit of the doubt and say the problem is actually because of the variance in Hooker's production run, rather than because of a problem with the TTi part.

Thanks

Steve

Looks just like the set of TTI's I bought for my hemi project. Ceramic coated. I dropped in the mock hemi block, bolted up the headers and they hit in the same place. I'm cutting into the torque box for clearance. I'm using an Alterkation front end so there's no harm done in my case. I don't advise it if your useing torsion bars.

On looking a second time you might gain enough clearance if you cut loose the bolt flange, rotate it 60 degrees and re-weld it.

If I'm Hooker, I can hold any tolerance I choose. I can alter my product anytime I see the need. If TTI wants to claim their prefabbed exhaust system will perfectly marry my headers they will be forced to follow me around. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

i'm with redfish on this one. the other alternative is the ball and socket kit that requires that you cut and weld both header and pipe. or weld the pipe to the header minus the flanges.

Sounds like they are trying to guilt you into buying their headers!!!!!!
I've only had a few parts ever bolt on without having to do some sort of modifications.....that's why we do this right??????

bob

MVR: My headers aren't hitting. It does look like they hit the Xmember in that photo, by there is actually substantial clearance there.

The issue I'm having is with the pipe that bolts to the header collector.

If I'm Hooker, I can hold any tolerance I choose. I can alter my product anytime I see the need. If TTI wants to claim their prefabbed exhaust system will perfectly marry my headers they will be forced to follow me around. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

My point is, that I don't think my set was made correctly for any set of Hookers, except maybe for a set that sits 3-4" lower in the car (which obviously is going to be too low to work).

TTi tries to get around that by saying "Well, we got one set of headers 20 years ago, and if they don't fit its your problem." It's not like there's a lot of room in these cars for the headers to be made differently either. I've got maybe 1/4" of clearance to the torsion bar on that side. It could only be so far out of whack.

I am going to be SHOCKED if the rest of this system fits on the car worth a damn. I'm also sure it'll be all somebody other than TTis fault.

I'm curious to hear what their excuse is for their own headers when the stuff doesn't match up. Ditto for the exhaust pipes that match to the Chrysler oem manifolds.

"Your car is made wrong!" LOL!

TTI gets way to much money for there stuff to have problems like this. Call up Hooker and tell them that TTI says they make there headers wrong and see what they say about it. LOL

a lot of the mopar specific manufacturers arent very helpful if you dont run everything you possibly can from them.

They make the exhaust for their headers, plain and simple. As you found out, it's NEVER tti's fault even when the stuff is messed up from them for their own parts/prducts.

I had to do some crazy stuff to a summit kit, that was for hookers, to hook up to my tti headers.

Weird, I've had nothing but great customer service from TTI.

Its not hard to be off a tiny amount at one end of a pipe and it turns into a mile at the other end. That goes for everyone, TTI, Hooker, Hedman whoever.

Old cars arent exactly precision instruments either. Today's mfg tolerances are a fraction of what they were in the 60s and 70s, cant expect anything to fit like a glove out of the box no matter the price. Just impossible to have a precise fit on every car, too much variance.

Make sure you have two different adapters.When I installed my TTI's I had two left hand adapters one side would hit and one side was hanging low. I got the correct one for the right side and now they fit perfect.

HKeller

I did get the two different adapters. The Driver's side looks like it'll fit.

I did call TTi. They sat its Hooker's fault.

As far as tolerance stacking, I can understand that, and I'm definitely not adverse to massaging something to make it fit.

Meh. Maybe the flange on my headers is crooked from where the "spec" is. All they would have to do would be sell the goddam adapter either with a floating flange on it or sell the flange loose. You're gonna have to weld on the exhaust anyways, and it would be *less* work for them.

With as little racing as I'll be doing, I should just put the stock manifolds on. Oh wait, then I'd need pipes to fit those to the exhaust too. LOL!

I have 2.5"TTI on my Duster with HP 340 manifolds and it bolted on with no issues at all.
I first had a 360/727 auto with column shift, now its a Magnum 360 with A518 OD. ---same exhaust.
I also have 2.5 TTI on my 68 383 4spd Road Runner with manifolds and no issues there either.

My good friend put TTI on his 440 4spd 72 Runner about 3 or 4 years ago and had the same issue you appear to have. I believe his headers are Hooker, but I'm not sure.
on one side the pipe bend missed going on the header by more than 1/2".
He called TTI and told them the problem, they asked for the measurement and bent up a new adapter to fit and sent it to him.

At a few shows, I've spoken to different TTI reps at their vender tents.
Some have been friendly and very informative and a couple others couldn't care less to talk to me.
Maybe you got the jackass when you called.[-(

I have 2.5"TTI on my duster with hp H340 manifolds and it bolted on with no issues at all.
I also have 2.5 TTI on my 68 Road Runner with manifolds and no issues there either.

My good friend put TTI on his 72 Runner about 3 or 4 years ago and had the same issue you appear to have. I believe his headers are Hooker, but I'm not sure.
on one side the pipe bend missed going on the header by more than 1/2".
He called TTI and told them the problem, they asked for the measurement and bent up a new adapter to fit and sent it to him.

Some have been friendly and very informative and a couple others couldn't care less to talk to me.

Actually, I kind of already know they're full of crap, but they blame the headers for the fact that their adapters to run their exhaust system don't fit.

IMG_0748.jpg

The TTi piece 'S' curves over to go through the proper place in the crossmember, but is angled such that it totally hits the crossmember instead of passing through the opening. If I have the adapter cut, pipe rotated about 35* and welded back up I'm pretty sure it'll fit, it just seems like a helluva lot of "tolerance" for Hooker to be loose on.

If anyone's got hookers, or even better hookers and the TTi adapters for their system, I'd be curious to hear what you did.

Thanks

Steve
CHECK THIS POST OUT, AND POST YOUR EXPERIENCE SO THE NEXT FABO MEMBER WON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE SAME "SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS" AS YOU DID, AND IF WE KNOW "NOT TO BUY THESE PRODUCTS THAT DON'T FIT" MAYBE THEY'LL WAKE UP AND FIX THE PROBLEMS. IF NOT, ,, , WE KEEP HAVIN' PROBLEMS, AND THEY KEEP GETTIN' RICHER !!!!!!. ..... Headers that DO fit - and DON'T fit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a lot of talk about headers on the site a while back, on what fits and what doesn't fit. I ran across this on another site and just thought I would pass it alone. May save someone alot of anger and time. USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION !!! Headers that DO fit:

Schumacher:A bodies W/Tri-Y and 440 (High Deck)
Flo Tech:B & E bodies W/big block
Hedman:B & E bodies W/big block P# 78030 & 78038 HD
Hooker:B & E bodies W/small block 1 5/8” comp. 1 ¾” comp #5208
Mopar Performance:B & E bodies W/big block 1 ¾”
TTI:B & E bodies W/small block I ¾” (needs small dimple on one tube)
Headers that DON'T fit:

TTI: B-body '62-'65 W/Big Block 2"
HEMI: All
Hooker:B & E bodies W/big block 1 7/8” comp.
B & E bodies W/big block 2” super comp.
TTI:B & E W/big block 1 ¾” (hits IDLER arm)

Check this post out .Go to the post , and let members know about your experience, good or bad. Help the nex't member out !!! ...... #1
cudacollins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a lot of talk about headers on the site a while back, on what fits and what doesn't fit. I ran across this on another site and just thought I would pass it alone. May save someone alot of anger and time. USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION !!! Headers that DO fit:

Schumacher:A bodies W/Tri-Y and 440 (High Deck)
Flo Tech:B & E bodies W/big block
Hedman:B & E bodies W/big block P# 78030 & 78038 HD
Hooker:B & E bodies W/small block 1 5/8” comp. 1 ¾” comp #5208
Mopar Performance:B & E bodies W/big block 1 ¾”
TTI:B & E bodies W/small block I ¾” (needs small dimple on one tube)
Headers that DON'T fit:

TTI: B-body '62-'65 W/Big Block 2"
HEMI: All
Hooker:B & E bodies W/big block 1 7/8” comp.
B & E bodies W/big block 2” super comp.
TTI:B & E W/big block 1 ¾” (hits IDLER arm)

and time.

Last edited by cudacollins : 05-13-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: MIS SPELLED WORDS

Cuda, where do the TTI Headers for '71 Dart 340s w/ power steering fall in this scheme? Should I assume they'll fit? I'll be buying a set in the near future, with any financial luck.
BTW, I called TTI two weeks ago and left a message, and have yet to hear back from anyone there.

Dude sure didn't offer to bend anything up for me.I don't know if he was a jackass or not, but he wasn't interested in doing anything other than telling me I was on my own.

Ha Ha, here's something I just happened across on another forum. NOT searching for TTi issues BTW.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...er=5241482&page=0&vc=1&PHPSESSID=#Post5241482

Cudacollins: What site is that post from? hard for me to respond without a link. The Hookers do fit, but it took some finagling. I didn't have to ding up the pipes, either (though they did get some scratches for sure).

WOW!!!!!!!! You spend that money on their exhaust or a set of their header and basically they're saying go F' yourself!

I'll pass on any TTI product!!!!

I took the liberty of contacting TTI via email.I copied and pasted a link to this thread. Here is what I said.

Someone in your service department let this happen.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=63057

This is not my issue,but I am concerned as a potential future customer that this may happen to me.

Please take the time to follow this up and resolve the issue.

thankyou

Paul

I hope this helps.

FWIW, here is a pic of my Hooker comps (1 5/8" in 3" collector) before I installed the 3" exhaust from Summit. Looks to be in the same position as yours, but maybe move forward 1" or so, and with the flange rotated as well.

001.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Thanks

Steve
TTI likes you to use only their products. No mix and match. Kinda' like communism... our way or no way. They could care less about Hooker headers fitting their exhaust pipes. Do the modifications you discussed and make it work. Good luck.

FWIW, here is a pic of my Hooker comps (1 5/8" in 3" collector) before I installed the 3" exhaust from Summit. Looks to be in the same position as yours, but maybe move forward 1" or so, and with the flange rotated as well.

LOL!. Maybe dude at TTI was right about the Hooker stuff. Looks like your collector flange is rotated significantly in the opposite direction of center from mine. Crazy. So, probably my bad.

From looking at it, the TTi deal would likely fit your headers.

I think if it really is that big a problem they should sell the thing without the flange being welded in place. Either a floating style deal or just "welding required".

I'm butchering mine today. I'll let you know how it goes.

I wish any of this Mopar stuff came with ball and socket connectors on it. They aren't maybe as optimal for max flow (as if any A-body header was), but they sure to remove a lot of BS hassle.

I just fit up my modified TTi piece and it looks to be a good fit, though I haven't tried putting the X-pipe on it yet.

All I did was rotate the flange about a half inch clockwise, so the axis' (??) of pipe bends seem to be correct. It may in fact be due to Hooker's Hecho En Mexico approach to header building, as the guy at TTi said. So at this point it looks like my question has been answered and they are not full of crap.

-
Back