So what IS a muscle car?

-
In my opinion a muscle car is a full size rear wheel drive 60-80s so chevelles road runners gtxs etc. In the mopar world b and c bodies. A and e are pony cars.

I like it when people tell me at a car show that my 69 375 HP 340 4 speed Barracuda is not a muscle car. They will point to a 65 GTO and say "that is a Muscle car" I'll say, "Really? My car can clean his clock" I never cared for the "official" definition of a muscle car. I prefer to think of it as power to weight ratio. A light car with a mean small block IS a muscle car to me

Send me a bellhousin and I'll get r done. dork.
I told you dill Rod to put a automatic in it and get it going!!!... quit using pipe dream excuses like finding a reasonably priced bellhousing and get the car on the road!...
See if you can sell that slant six boat anchor.... Or trade it for a core 727....

When people see my car I want them to say that's BADASS!!!..
NOT ... That's cute...

I told you dill Rod to put a automatic in it and get it going!!!... quit using pipe dream excuses like finding a reasonably priced bellhousing and get the car on the road!...
See if you can sell that slant six boat anchor.... Or trade it for a core 727....

screw an automatic. I'm waitin for what I want....and now I have plenty of time since I fixed the 170.

screw an automatic. I'm waitin for what I want....and now I have plenty of time since I fixed the 170.
You old geezer you got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel!..
I'm not saying put the automatic in their permanent nimrod... Just feel the real heat of a muscle car underneath your feet for the first time in a long time and before the bucket is kicked....

I'm not saying put the automatic in their permanent nimrod... Just feel the real heat of a muscle car underneath your feet for the first time in a long time and before the bucket is kicked....

Thanks for the vote of confidence. lol

Now you did it! He's going to out live all of us just to spite you. :rofl:

I wouldn't call an OHC Pontiac sprint a muscle car but they sure are cool in my book. Anything with a four barrel and 2 doors is getting there. It has to have an above entry level engine. Pretty subjective discussion. I would say there is not a definitive answer. I might venture to say "if it has redline wheels" and "was replicated by Hot Wheels" it might be a muscle car.
It was an era to never be duplicated.

Last edited:
Now you did it! He's going to out live all of us just to spite you. :rofl:
Someone's got to light a fire under his old butt. He just like to sit there and wait for a bellhousing to jump up and hit him in the head... I want him out smoking the tires off his now cute car...

Oh I say screw the automatic to!..
But given the choice between that slant 6 with a granny stick shift and a fire-breathing big block with an automatic (temporarily) it's a no-brainer... Well for most of us...:poke:...

Don't know how we got to just throwing insults around, but.....

Muscle car: An automobile with more than two seats, built for performance, and attention, as the main focus.

Muscle car: An automobile with more than two seats, built for performance, and attention, as the main focus.
I know how it got there Rusty rat Rod started it...

"Just what is a Muscle Car? Exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it. To balance this out, handling, braking and related essentials are modified to result in a performance machine for the streets. They tack racy names to the car: GTA, GTO, GTX, or just plain GT; R/T, SST, SS, GS or, for the lack of better initials, 4-4-2. They doll the car up with fancy trimmings and put it up for sale. And it sells like crazy"....Road Test Magazine 1967
this really does nail it down.. it didn't start in '67 and it didn't stop in '67, obviously

Anything beyond the compression kill of the 70`s would be a performance car and not muscle car. The newer high horse fun to drive cars are the best example of a performance car.
I like your point

Only someone under 40yrs old would ask that question. If you are 50 or more- you know the answer.
I disagree and that was a copout, what's your answer?

I think to be legitimately called a musclecar, it has to be a factory-build combination. If you couldn't build it by the option sheet, it's a hot rod, not a muscle car.
right on.. winner winner

The Muscle Car era was mainly marketing by the Big 3. Muscle cars where factory built American cars. People under 45 think every 2 door car built in the 60s and 70s is a Muscle Car.
factory built, we have a theme :) them younguns just need to be educated

BTW, if I remember the convo from the other thread correctly, the Scat Pack doesn’t have 707 hp, “only” 485. Have to get the Hellcat to get 707 hp.
someone has been paying attention to modern muscle cars :thumbsup:

I do and it's hilarious!:lol:

The Valiant was available with the 4 barrel 273. Was it a muscle car? Chrysler didn't think so.

Does it have an "HP" stamp on the motor?

Did it have "Commando V8" badges?

"..a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it. To balance this out, handling, braking and related essentials are modified to result in a performance machine for the streets. They tack racy names to the car: GTA, GTO, GTX, or just plain GT; R/T, SST, SS, GS or, for the lack of better initials, 4-4-2. They doll the car up with fancy trimmings and put it up for sale."
Strictly speaking the muscle car era was 64-72.. they were factory hot rods, to me that defines a classic muscle car. I like what was said about later model cars with the same type designations and build ideals being performance vehicles...BUT, the argument can easily be made that these newer factory hot rods are muscle cars in their own right. They fit the specs.. smaller car with bigger engine, performance badging, better handling, braking and related essentials...
Are we simply refusing to accept the modernization of the animal.. the evolution? You can't go back, so you move forward, we are in a new era of muscle car. To me, it's classic muscle cars and modern muscle cars. The formula is the same. The names and players are basically the same, Challenger, Camaro, Mustang.
As to the argument of price/value, "$5,000 in 1970 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $33,494.59 in 2020".. you can't buy any of the Big 3's true hot rods for 34k today. In 1970 you could buy a Chevelle SS 454 for about $3500 which is about $23,500 today.. a top of the line factory hot rod today is running in the $80,000 range.. yea, the price/value thing is out the door.
Lastly, the 64-72 factory hot rods were the modern performance cars of the time (aka: muscle car).. you could go to a Plymouth dealer and check the boxes and end up with a 440 GTX.. a true muscle car with some extras... so is a 2020 Dodge/Ford/Chevy (fill in the blank) factory hot rod a muscle car or not? IMHO, yes.

Last edited:
...but I don't think they had "440" badges.

a 300 letter edition, or a Hurst edition OTOH.....
I had a '68 Fury III 4 door that was badged on the front fender "V8 Commando" ..... It had a 383 Commando with dual snorkel air cleaner and all, factory dual exhaust and disc brakes.

I'll also submit the 4 door Hemi 1966 Coronet cars.

Are they "muscle cars"?

They do have "426 Hemi" badging and they're mid size cars with gigantic engines.

I'll also submit the 4 door Hemi 1966 Coronet cars.

Are they "muscle cars"?

They do have "426 Hemi" badging and they're mid size cars with gigantic engines.
I don't care if it's a station wagon, if it came with a 426 Hemi, to me it's a muscle car
:thumbsup:

-
Back