Spare Motors...gotta have a couple.

-
Yeah....i gotta switch and rebuild a 340 6 pac here in a few weeks........

SCSN..... guess maybe I’ll be the one to come up without a car and point and laugh this time around!

definately considering March Meet.... and am looking for an October option. Considering that mopar event at Irwindale also

I will asked the kids about SCSN......they know the drill for that race.....Might be spectator also...

I am dragging the 75 duster to Bakersfield next weekend for the two day bracket race...just want to get some runs in some decent air....

We are suppose to take Tonya Dart to Bakersfield with the 360 in it.....cause trying to break the curse...October ANRA 10-11

And we talked about the March Meet too....with the new engine it it....After Bakersfield the 360 will come out and be a spare...lol

Got the oil pump and oil pan on this mornings....still working on cleaning up the cylinder heads.....

and ordered a better balancer for it too....lol

need to order some head gaskets......MLS versions....

Some point this week...I have to get going on the 75 Duster...as it is heading to Bakersfield to go racing next weekend.

20200912_103950_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like my garage.

I think I got 10 340....probably dam near 20 360 blocks....heads..,,a few old J heads....4 set fo w2 heads with rockers arms...6 set of w2 headers.....only 2 intake manifold...sold the other 4 MI w2 I had......many sets of standard headers .....tti and hookers ......aluminum heads....pretty close to 20 set of them.....got one set of Indy X-LA...one set of EQ ...both with 2.02 done by IMM.....intake manifolds I counted 22 one time...distributors....cabinet full....8 of the MP tack drive race electronic distributors....3 or 4 of the billet msd distributors....boxes of cams...pistons ..rings and bearings..... .....which reminds I gotta order a set of main bearing for that Scat 4 inch crank...lol

I had 6 340 steel cranks in the shed ...sold two to a friend who runs a nhra stocker......3 more in blocks still...3 or 4 standard 340 blocks......
A life time collection of stuff......LOL.....

One 318.....gotta build it to 500 hp...LOL

Need to get to work.....gotta fix front brakes on my old 99 Dodge 1500..

Got my one 2.08 intake valve that I screwed up......need to get it installed and then those heads can go on that block....

Got the valve a couple of days ago...ran it by the machine shop....Rich did a quick facing on the valve....going in tomorrow...and head gaskets will be here tomorrow...

Got the head gaskets and headed over to garage to get the heads on .....These heads are veterans of many passes down the track...bought well over 10 yrs ago from someone on FABO....they were at MRL shop....Open Chamber Head that was CNC by Hughes....Was on 71 Dart 360 that ran some 10.30s in Bakersfield two years in a row...engine blew head gasket in Bakersfield the next year......then went of 408.....had them updated with new 2.08 valves a few year ago...then broke exhaust valve at Bakersfield during burnout against Jay ...Head was repaired by IMM...and new exhaust valves added...lol...Brian milled them to make them close chamber heads......next it was on 410 in Dart....and back to Bakersfield ..it looks like it ate a small cotter key...that cracked the block in Bakersfield...

Now they back in service on a 410.....

20200929_144558_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Got the heads on the block tonight...studs with nuts on them...finger tight...

Need to get rockers made up...plus howard edm lifters need to be installed and then pushrod length needed ...

20200929_181007_resized.jpg

20200929_181018_resized.jpg

Got the pushrods and rocker arm installed..Crane 1.5....I mean MP 1.5....

Intake just sitting on the heads,,,,Still need to swap out balancer....

So this will get wrapped up and set aside for a while....

20201002_173016_resized.jpg

Ok...got old engine from 75 Duster in machine shop...i spun no 3 and 4 rod bearing...hardly damaged the crank...but it will need to be turned before being used again.
That was the first time on 40 yrs of racing that I have ever had a bearing spun.....

Engine going from .030 to ,040 and being decked to 9,58. I have a complete .040 rotating assembly....scat 1 beam rods....internally balanced crank...SRP flat top pistons....
Going to use a set of Eddy heads that were ported by Shady Dell Speed shop that were freshen up a few years ago and have limited number of runs...I need to check the valve springs on them...Heads went 10.29 in a 408 here in Vegas.
Cam......got a few to choose from ....Howards...260/264....MP590....Hughes 6064....and the old MP 571 with the old Howard EDM Lifters.
Probably have a Holley SD intake......
Got a few weeks to get all the parts cleaned up and ready to go.....Need to check to see if I got rings and bearings....need to mike the crank...dont remember what it was turned pretty sure it is 10/10

Last edited:
“Spare” motors......

That’s just a matter of perspective.

Another way to look at it is....... not enough cars :usflag:

Well...have another block that should be coming out of the machine any day now....the 360 that spun the rod bearing....being bored from .030 to .040 and decked to 9,58,,,,,as i said...I have a complete .040 rotating assembly with stock internally balanced crank...scat i beam rods...and SRP flat top pistons....I check the parts bins and I got the main and rod bearings..plus .045 rings...should be good to go once the block get here.

Going to use Eddy ported heads that SDSS did many years ago...and were freshen up went a couple of valves got bent from a broken timing chain...thank cloyes...
Intake holley SD or maybe a Mopar M1....just got it...

So the big decision is going to be camshaft....Which solid lifter cam to go with...
1. Hughes 6064....260/264 .615/.621 108 LSA
2. MP 590 271/271 .590/.590 106 LSA
3. Howards Howards Cams 712532-06 Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing 260/264 .562/.562 106 LSA

Have had good luck with 1 and 2......
Might add at 1.6 rocker on the Howards cam and MP590 cam
All three are here....Howards cam showed up today...nearly a month after ordering it from Summit.....

Picked up the other block this afternoon.....bored 4.040 and decked to 9.580.....plan to get the block washed up tomorrow....and maybe get the crank in...Got a set of Clevite 1266P fully grooved mains...

Probably have to stop there for a few days as ...need to moved the AARCuda short block from my home garage to the race car garage...i guess that is what i will call it...Get it stripped down and see what that one needs....It only had about 10k miles on it went it was parked...hopefully to clean it up......hone the cylinders ...new rings...bearings......new camshaft and lifters and timing chain....

Going to be busy for a few days...

Picked up the other block this afternoon.....bored 4.040 and decked to 9.580.....plan to get the block washed up tomorrow....and maybe get the crank in...Got a set of Clevite 1266P fully grooved mains...

Probably have to stop there for a few days as ...need to moved the AARCuda short block from my home garage to the race car garage...i guess that is what i will call it...Get it stripped down and see what that one needs....It only had about 10k miles on it went it was parked...hopefully to clean it up......hone the cylinders ...new rings...bearings......new camshaft and lifters and timing chain....

Going to be busy for a few days...

You picked up this block from the machine shop? Or purchased a "new block?"

Got the block washed and dried...
crank in and torqued.....yes..the bearing were checked..

Need to get rings cut.....pistons are already mounted on the rods...no spiro locks to screw with.

20201216_134932_resized.jpg

What a wonderful day.......my daughter and i got the 340 TA short block loaded on the trailer and got the cherry picker back on the trailer...every is good..get to garage....unload cherry picker..hook up short block and raise it....move trailer out from underneath it.so far so good....

The cherry picker is on dirt...and we need to move about 10 feet to get it on concrete does not want to move......ok...we move pick up without trailer to drag with strap to get cherry picker lined up with the concrete.......ok....we get it line up...and get can not get it to move.....caster are buried in dirt....

so we back up the old truck to now push the cherry picker into the garage and it works........we had to move a water hose......and as the truck drives away the trailer ball on truck catches hose and snaps pvc water line .......that house has good water pressure..with no shut off for the garage...i have to run to street to shut off water to house too....so my garage floor is now flooded....I get the squeegee out......I keep a box of pvc fitting and we remake the manifold....and i squeeze the water out...lol

We get the TA340 on the engine stand ....we start to remove oil pan...i ask her if we drained the pan went we removed the engine..she dont remember ...and neither do i....take all the bolts and I hit the pan with a rubber mallet....it was full of oil....now i got 5 qts of 30 year old oil on the garage floor that i just squeegee water out ...no cat liter...just paper towels....

Headed for the Mexican Restaurant for lunch....the oil will still be there went we get back...LOL...

Last edited:
Sounds like a day in my garage... or a day at school...

It might "suck" now, but those memories will be the ones we look back on and enjoy the most. :thumbsup:

-
Back