Stock 318 building with Justin

-
Dug up some comp retainers, stock were hula hoop'n on the springs.. cant have that.
Below pic with the stock retainer on the comp 901 pushed to the left side to show how wrong doing this is..

20201018_181925.jpg

Ordered some locks, setting the springs @110lbs seat. Will have around 270 open

Been busy and I have no one to hold a camera...and why I haven't done a channel.

Cleaned up the heads and installed the seals, valves, checked height, set them @1.64-1.649
Again, not a ton of work, just better angle and lightly blended short turn , no guide boss work and for the sake uniformity I gasket matched them. They all peak 190-192 cfm intake but have healthy .300/.400 #'s . If I did the guide bosses it could yield 5-7 cfm... but its ultimately a smog motor and it will far better at this stage then it was. Exhaust peak 142cfm has zero roof work ..only light bowl work..but a nice tall short turn and moves early in the lift.
The springs are 901 comp and 744 comp retainers that use standard 7 degree locks btw.
I'll take some more pics.

20201023_123432.jpg

20201018_171744.jpg

20201023_131012.jpg

20201018_182232.jpg

So as I said earlier, or not, this motor is destined for a 1985 ramcharger residing in fresno ca... and this project like most has moved slloowly ...so in order to expediate the build and and restore the fire ....yesterday morning I loaded up all the parts, tools I'd need and assistance items like sealer/assembly lube etc, block crank heads etc.. into the back of my dodge 4x4 and drove up to fresno to assemble it all .
I bought another engine stand, since mine are all in use, and i bagged n started painting and galley plugging it, freeze plugs etc. It was cleaned by the shop but instill went through it with brushes, clean it was indeed. The block has been sitting so it's not shiny nor did it get lone honed . Just a basic'ish stock'ish build. I just dusted it with a vht primer and then chry blue

B5Rt3xdK-1103172272.jpg

20201024_204805.jpg

Last edited:
I'll clean this up later.
.002-.0022 mains
.0016-.0018 rods
Crank end play .006
Top rings .020-.024
Int degreed 32.5 close @.050, good enough.
The delay was had a snag with the cyl wall finish and one rod journal. Took the rods to .020, rehoned with a finer stone.
Probably gonna port match the heads, more pics later.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

imagejpeg_1(1).jpg

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

imagejpeg_1(4).jpg

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

Last couple pics , i mod'd the 4 hole 318 oil filter plate to '8 holes', [thanks Randall] I cleaned off the flash and blended the rear main cap oil pump feed hole before i set the crank in. My thoughts and why...The pump outlet tapers, the cap has no bathtub or lead, just a hole with a tiny round swail.. so now mod'd ...it keeps a more uniform passage/lead to the cap feed hole and a smoother bend feeding the system. Nothing earthshattering. I added a pick of the summit lower gear. Fits tight, nice. I always soak them , lil chain interference while rotating till it breaks in. Seems to be a decent pc, rollon chain btw.
Yes thats an mp hy lifter box, have a set of them im using on this 318, though im considering the crane anti pumps i just picked up off the site...i have some adjustable rockers that have been collecting dust that didn't work on another build with 1.50+ diameter springs..but would more than likely work on this. BuT I don't want to vere too far off into aftermarket land, so i might just stay with the mp hyd lifters. Since this is a stock building thread, kinda still stock ,i guess...just added a cam and some head finessing is all. What do you guys think?

20201123_101228.jpg

I'm bailing back to san diego for the week, back next weekend to finish it off and start assembling an 7.3 idit ford. I've got to get my 340 build thread up still and the continuance of the 410 resurrection. Have a ton of crap to work on, speedmaster mag heads thread coming up too, next week.

20201123_103653.jpg

20201123_103722.jpg

20201123_103733.jpg

20201123_103700.jpg

Last edited:
Last couple pics , i mod'd the 4 hole 318 oil filter plate to 6 holes, still cleaning/filing off the flash and blended the rear main cap oil pump feed hole. My thoughts and why...The pump outlet tapers, the cap has no bathtub or lead, just a hole with a tiny round swail.. so now mod'd ...it keeps a more uniform passage/lead to the cap feed hole and a smoother bend feeding the system. Nothing earthshattering. I added a pick of the summit lower gear. Fits tight, nice. I always soak them , lil chain interference while rotating till it breaks in. Seems to be a decent pc, rollon chain btw.
Yes thats an mp hy lifter box, have a set of them im using on this 318, though im considering the crane anti pumps i just picked up off the site...i have some adjustable rockers that have been collecting dust that didn't work on another build with 1.50+ diameter springs..but would more than likely work on this. BuT I don't want to vere too far off into aftermarket land, so i might just stay with the mp hyd lifters. Since this is a stock building thread, kinda still stock ,i guess...just added a cam and some head finessing is all. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1715635601

I'm bailing back to san diego for the week, back next weekend to finish it off and start assembling an 7.3 idit ford. I've got to get my 340 build thread up still and the continuance of the 410 resurrection. Have a ton of crap to work on, speedmaster mag heads thread coming up too, next week.

View attachment 1715635616

View attachment 1715635617

View attachment 1715635618

View attachment 1715635619

Make that 8 holes in the plate. Lol

Sing it Willy.

On the road agin, just can't wait to get back on the road agin.
What a drive.
A train derailed and dumped hydrochloric acid and butane onto the side of the 99...so they shut it down as we approached...37 min later and through miles of frontage road and 1 mile square blocks of orchards ..got back on..it was now moving bout 85-90 mph. My new yoko x at's were riding real nice, broke 290k on the dodge.. got some surf n turf on the way into town. It's a helluva drive.

Oceanside, north sd county.
That's my pops shop ,foothills east of fresno.

It looks real nice out there. Like in one of those old 70s detective shows. I was expectin to see Frank Cannon comin around the corner. It looks kinda like it does out here. nothin around for a while. Thank God.

My 318 build for my 1980 CM Chrysler SE. KB Hypo pistons , 9.7 to one , home ported edelbrock alloy heads with 2.05 inlet valves, Wiehand 4 barrel manifold with 650 AVS 2 carb, exctractors into dual 2.5 inch system, small comp 204/ 214 cam (6900) with 1.6 roller rockers. Why would I do this? Most of the parts I am using are left over from my 410 Charger. what do you guys think?

Small cam and intake combo might be a bit weak on torque. With the pictured Victor intake.....
If the Weiand is a dual plane, and it probably is, right?, it should be just fine.

(That’s a crazy looking PS pump bracket.)

My 318 build for my 1980 CM Chrysler SE. KB Hypo pistons , 9.7 to one , home ported edelbrock alloy heads with 2.05 inlet valves, Wiehand 4 barrel manifold with 650 AVS 2 carb, exctractors into dual 2.5 inch system, small comp 204/ 214 cam (6900) with 1.6 roller rockers. Why would I do this? Most of the parts I am using are left over from my 410 Charger. what do you guys think?

I think that's great, but start your own thread.
Fwiw this is a california smog vehicle. You cant just toss big **** on it and any old small cam and still pass the smog test... let alone have a useful power band. Australia definitely isn't California.

Sorry! that is a picture of my 410. I still am having problems posting pics and my phone is full. have to delete some pictures first then maybe have another go.

-
Back