Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Had 10 inches of snow Saturday. 60 with a light breeze today. Supposed to have 40mph winds tomorrow with gusts over 60.. Sounds like a cool place, huh?

Had 10 inches of snow Saturday. 60 with a light breeze today. Supposed to have 40mph winds tomorrow with gusts over 60.. Sounds like a cool place, huh?
It was pretty breezy here yesterday too and it sounds like it's on it's way to the same today. At least here it doesn't move as much road building material as it does out in the desert :lol:

I did rewire all the units, myself.. So, saved a bunch there... The difference in lighting in here now, is amazing. I do have three rows of 6 on the ceiling, all on different switches, so I can limit the amount of light, if needed. Was getting pretty dim in here for a while, bulbs going bad, ballasts going bad. Finally made the commitment to change it all, and I'm very happy now...
Changed out a room at work last month with something like these...
Metalux 8 ft. Linear White Integrated LED Warehouse Strip Light with 8176 Lumens, 4000K, UNV Voltage-8SL8040 - The Home Depot
Had 4 fixtures. Each had 2 8ft T8s. Smaller, lighter fixture. No bulb. Just a strip of about 500 LEDs. So when it dies, you change the whole fixture. Originally they got some smaller fixtures with 2 strips abought 2ft long and 1.5ft apart. Too dense of a light. Blinding and made a lot of shadows. These spread out the light better and hung directly on the old fixtures positions. The ones we got are brighter and much whiter. They are dimmable, but we don't have that option in use.
Mitch, did you only use half as many bulbs? With the whiter light, it appears that is what the recommendation is.

Changed out a room at work last month with something like these...
Metalux 8 ft. Linear White Integrated LED Warehouse Strip Light with 8176 Lumens, 4000K, UNV Voltage-8SL8040 - The Home Depot
Had 4 fixtures. Each had 2 8ft T8s. Smaller, lighter fixture. No bulb. Just a strip of about 500 LEDs. So when it dies, you change the whole fixture. Originally they got some smaller fixtures with 2 strips abought 2ft long and 1.5ft apart. Too dense of a light. Blinding and made a lot of shadows. These spread out the light better and hung directly on the old fixtures positions. The ones we got are brighter and much whiter. They are dimmable, but we don't have that option in use.
Mitch, did you only use half as many bulbs? With the whiter light, it appears that is what the recommendation is.
No....I'm the King of overkill...I filled em all...But, as I mentioned, I have 3 strips of 6 on , 3 switches, so I can turn off. But I like it bright in here...:thumbsup:

I did rewire all the units, myself.. So, saved a bunch there... The difference in lighting in here now, is amazing. I do have three rows of 6 on the ceiling, all on different switches, so I can limit the amount of light, if needed. Was getting pretty dim in here for a while, bulbs going bad, ballasts going bad. Finally made the commitment to change it all, and I'm very happy now...
what all goes into the conversion? new fixtures?

No.. Originally, 18 yrs ago, they were all big bulb units , with dual oil filled ballasts. Then a buddy gave me a trash can full of T8 bulbs. So I went in each unit and pulled out the dual ballasts and put in electronic ballasts. That lasted for about 8 yrs, until I retrofit to LED....

Depends on the bulbs. If you get 120v bulbs, just need power to the ends. Rip out the old ballasts and pop in the bulbs. With fixtures already in ceiling that's the easiest. For free hanging fixtures, probably just as well to just swap fixtures. One big advantage for our use at work is it eliminates the wide side reflectors that collect a lot of dust.

No.. Originally, 18 yrs ago, they were all big bulb units , with dual oil filled ballasts. Then a buddy gave me a trash can full of T8 bulbs. So I went in each unit and pulled out the dual ballasts and put in electronic ballasts. That lasted for about 8 yrs, until I retrofit to LED....

Depends on the bulbs. If you get 120v bulbs, just need power to the ends. Rip out the old ballasts and pop in the bulbs. With fixtures already in ceiling that's the easiest. For free hanging fixtures, probably just as well to just swap fixtures. One big advantage for our use at work is it eliminates the wide side reflectors that collect a lot of dust.

awesome, I've been trying to figure out the lighting for the garage im building next spring. I can get a bunch of those old energy hog industrial light fixtures for cheap.

Prototype side is done-almost. Needs a good return spring. Then i can copy it and do the other side.
AFC49CDD-0092-44A5-88AB-39A732A4AEDC.jpeg

On the single pin 8 footers, just cut ballast out and wire everything on one end to your hot wire wnd the other end to the neutral.

on the 2 pin 4footers, cut the ballast out and wire the left side of the 'tombstones' on ONE end to the hot wire and the right sides to the neutral. The other end of the fixture is left unhooked (just be sure you have non-shunted tombstones)

awesome, I've been trying to figure out the lighting for the garage im building next spring. I can get a bunch of those old energy hog industrial light fixtures for cheap.
Just be aware the old ballasts and bulbs are hazardous waste and you may need to pay to get rid of them.

I had all florescent lighting in my tool truck only 12 volt stuff which is even more expensive to fix. I wires in some peel and stick LED strips under the shelves. .8 of an amp current draw per 8' strip. I was able to combine 3 circuits together on 1 breaker. Way easier to turn the lights on when and super bright when it's 0° out.

tool truck with led lighting.jpg

-
Back