Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
i am reading back almost 100 pages and I see a lot of different members posting in this thread than I remember.

What happened to the 73 dart more door girl ??
She got busy and we've not heard from her in a while
Late to the party. No crank or cranks but won't start?
no spark. I think I fried another coil. first thought it was the ballast resistor as the cause. I'd used one from the electronic ignition setup. Not sure if they are different than a points one or not.

It is not difficult...You are smart enough if you figure out how YOU need to learn it. I could teach you, I did for 8 years, taught basic electricity and electronics

Lol, the biggest help has been the book TMM sent me. it really has helped me in the testing and troubleshooting steps.

It is not difficult...You are smart enough if you figure out how YOU need to learn it. I could teach you, I did for 8 years, taught basic electricity and electronics

to be honest, its not the concepts that has me confused all the time, its the relays, and wiring mazes, even colored ones, I have trouble getting. Basically, what I set out to do, was to bypass all the unneeded functions in this harness and just have the bare minimiums to run the car and charge the battery. But I'm thinking I'll just order that entire new harness for 700 bucks, I'd be months ahead at this point lol

A few types of coils. Gm ign coils have an internal ballast resistor. Usually no markings,where dodge coils use external,and most coiks are marked use with external resistor.

to be honest, its not the concepts that has me confused all the time, its the relays, and wiring mazes, even colored ones, I have trouble getting. Basically, what I set out to do, was to bypass all the unneeded functions in this harness and just have the bare minimiums to run the car and charge the battery. But I'm thinking I'll just order that entire new harness for 700 bucks, I'd be months ahead at this point lol
Throwing parts at it heh?
As far as we know you haven't even checked to see if there is power available to the coil.

A few types of coils. Gm ign coils have an internal ballast resistor. Usually no markings,where dodge coils use external,and most coiks are marked use with external resistor.
And some use a wire that is the ballast resistor. Right in the harness, all taped up....

Wife took dog out on front step to trim nails. Dog kicks shovel leaning against wall and shovel handle tips over and cracks wife square in the forehead. :lol:

I just had the most awesome dinner.

Reuben bread with Turkey, ham, roast beef, strips of bacon..... with American cheese, a layer of guacamole. All put in a sandwich toaster till the cheese was melted and bread was slightly crunchy on the edges.

With a big bowl of vegetable beef soup.

It was amazing!!!

Throwing parts at it heh?
As far as we know you haven't even checked to see if there is power available to the coil.
sorry, I should have been more clear. I have power at the coil, sometimes, sometimes not. when I do, I'm still not getting spark. I don't know if its a short before the coil or what.

sorry, I should have been more clear. I have power at the coil, sometimes, sometimes not. when I do, I'm still not getting spark. I don't know if its a short before the coil or what.
A "short" would blow a fuse or cause a fire.

Reuben bread with Turkey, ham, roast beef, strips of bacon..... with American cheese, a layer of guacamole. All put in a sandwich toaster till the cheese was melted and bread was slightly crunchy on the edges.

It was amazing!!!
I had Dominos pizza. And beer.

Dare i ask how you determine how you have power at the coil?
2 dollar test light? I bought a couple quality test lights,can drive over them. And have a good ground lead and clip. I dont trust cheap test lights.

Car is all back together. Passenger side was a little more involved than driver cause there is a motor mount in the way to get to the front bolt. Gotta put a jack under engine to hold it in place and take the mount off. Couple other 'extra' things to move. The bolts on that side were WAY tighter than the drivers side. Wasn't sure if the back one was going to break loose, but it eventually gave up. When I checked the torque spec on the engine mount, I found there was also an adjustment for engine position. So took care of that as well. Test drive over lumpy bumpy back road :steering: and no more clunking! :thumbsup:

It was amazing!!!
Sounds good! We have a Irish pub here in town. A Ruben made with turkey they call a Rachel. Good stuff.

so I am looking at options to make a parts department out of a bedroom or maybe the basement.

I have the basement and two extra bedrooms that are empty and I don't need them for anything now

I will make my shelves out of wood ….probably 2x4s with plywood and then paint them

IMG_1967.JPG

Just hot wire the damn thing with a temporary harness if all you want to do is make it run. A few wires from the battery to the coil and away she goes!

-
Back