Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I think @Ben Drinkin has been hanging around the nurses again...

0B275939-DEDB-4ABE-8170-BC9405562062.jpeg

Hey, we're back. That was entertaining. TMM should be around shortly. I think he's just tidying up the mess. LOL.

So I am doing an electronic ignition conversion on my 68 fury, and the wiring is a mess but I am wondering if i really need a dual field alternator.

I mean won't it still charge with the single field??

What is the benefit of the dual field??
Did you see the thread I started about alternator guts?
Take a look. What Jaws posted about grounding one of the field terminals will make more sense when you see the innards.

The squareback alternators have bigger rotors & stators and thats why they potentially can make more power at idle than a roundback.

When I hook up the second field wire to the ign 1 at the ballast like the wiring diagram says, the dash volt meter pegs to the negative side so I must be doing something wrong
Voltmeter? you mean ammeter. It means you just completed a circuit from the battery with little resistance. Maybe even grounded the battery. :eek:

Last edited:
I think I am a magnet to low option cars. ...no a/c, no PB, no ps, no radio, no light package..... so a lot of loading and unloading groceries in the dark.
If its that low optioned, then power at idle may not be a big deal. If you're sitting stopped in traffic for long periods of time with the lights on, wipers going and/or the heater blower going, then better output at idle is nice.

If its that low optioned, then power at idle may not be a big deal. If you're sitting stopped in traffic for long periods of time with the lights on, wipers going and/or the heater blower going, then better output at idle is nice.
Manual transmission too

Up through 1969 (with a couple exceptions):
Ignition 1 (run) should be power to the voltage regulator. Regulator out to Field terminal. Circuit completes to ground at second field terminal.

1970 up.
Ignition 1 (run) goes to both the Voltage regulator and one of the Field terminals.
Circuit completes to ground by connecting the second field terminal to the regulator. This type of regulator measures the voltage on the Ign 1 wire, but controls the power by switching the ground wire on/off.

Up through 1969 (with a couple exceptions):
Ignition 1 (run) should be power to the voltage regulator. Regulator out to Field terminal. Circuit completes to ground at second field terminal.

1970 up.
Ignition 1 (run) goes to both the Voltage regulator and one of the Field terminals.
Circuit completes to ground by connecting the second field terminal to the regulator. This type of regulator measures the voltage on the Ign 1 wire, but controls the power by switching the ground wire on/off.
I don't know much about you because you just appeared one day in the coffee thread.... but I like your style and can see picking your brain because this is exactly the stuff I live for.

:D

I don't know much about you because you just appeared one day in the coffee thread.... but I like your style and can see picking your brain because this is exactly the stuff I live for.

:D
Smart guy. He buried me by the second sentence. Lol

Have any of you guys tried the Starbucks k cups?
I have never been to or drank Starbucks because l like my coffee black and regular and refuse to pay 6 bucks for a cup of coffee. But my wife bought me some Starbucks k cups. This stuff is amazing.

Have any of you guys tried the Starbucks k cups?
I have never been to or drank Starbucks because l like my coffee black and regular and refuse to pay 6 bucks for a cup of coffee. But my wife bought me some Starbucks k cups. This stuff is amazing.
Have not, but I will look..Thanks. :thumbsup:

-
Back