Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
View attachment 1715314673 Well my non flood hopes and dreams were crushed this morning. Local river came up 12 ft in last 48 hrs. Sand bags and heavy equipment all in place they are about to seal our little neck of the woods off. No traffic in or out. On plus side we should be able to see our fire pit in a couple more days of thawing. Nothing says spring like a hotdog on a stick!
Are you in the Midwest with all the flooding?

How hard it is to place a volt meter where the OEM amp meter is/was varies with year model/ inst' panel form. Hanging a volt mater under the dash isn't so difficult. I saw one volt meter that plugs into a cig' lighter well. Anything is better than nothing.
What about the old amp gauge in my 73 road runner pointing left and right again for voltage charge and discharge?

Dang, Lots of flooding this year. We are pretty lucky here. Back in the 70's or 80's the Army Corp of Engineers and the city built our flood control system. Even in 08' we only had minor flooding and it was mostly just rain runoff. The Cedar river runs right through the middle of town. Cedar Falls (north) and Cedar Rapids (south) both had millions of dollars of flood damage. It sucks because our government (FEMA) bailed them out and now is paying to construct flood control. Cedar Rapids had the same opportunity that we did to build prevention. They chose not to because they didn't want to spoil their "river scape". (banghead)

Dang, Lots of flooding this year. We are pretty lucky here. Back in the 70's or 80's the Army Corp of Engineers and the city built our flood control system. Even in 08' we only had minor flooding and it was mostly just rain runoff. The Cedar river runs right through the middle of town. Cedar Falls (north) and Cedar Rapids (south) both had millions of dollars of flood damage. It sucks because our government (FEMA) bailed them out and now is paying to construct flood control. Cedar Rapids had the same opportunity that we did to build prevention. They chose not to because they didn't want to spoil their "river scape". (banghead)
Idiots. Our elected leadership has actually taken a very aggressive approach on flooding. Millions and millions spent on dikes (que Karl) diversions etc. we just flat had to much snow this winter.

Idiots. Our elected leadership has actually taken a very aggressive approach on flooding. Millions and millions spent on dikes (que Karl) diversions etc. we just flat had to much snow this winter.
If I remember correctly last time I was there, it is pretty flat. My wife has a aunt and cousin in Moorhead.

Good morning. When I was a kid living out in the Mojave desert we came home from a family gathering, Christmas or Thanksgiving, in the LA area to find a flash flood had gone right through our house. The pressure from the surge untracked the sliding glass door flooded the living room and escaped out the front door. The kitchen and bedrooms were 2 steps above the living room so they were spared. The house was not in the natural water flow from the hills behind us, but that day that's the direction it decided to go :eek:.

Moorhead is right across the river (Red) literally all the same metro area Fargo/Moorhead. And it is so flat here if your dog runs away you can watch it for three days!
Hey Mark, is that antique warehouse still around? Like a museum.

We got Winged Sprint Cars over the hill this Saturday night :D. Since it's part of the NARC points chase hopefully they stay closer to home and not chase the big money to Az and the World of Outlaws bunch.

What about the old amp gauge in my 73 road runner pointing left and right again for voltage charge and discharge?
That's an ammeter. It shows current flow.
Voltage doesn't flow. If it was the tap water system in your house, its the pressure. The water meter shows the gallons used, and if you timed it, that's the flow rate. The ammeter shows the gallons/per minute to bring your battery up to full, or the gallons/minute its providing to run the car.

I have the voltmeter that plugs into the lighter. Works very well. Just pull it and pop it in the glove box at the show. Besides, I always need a charger for my phone. That's a must now days.
The voltmeter idea makes sense if you have a working lighter, not being used for somehting important like running a datalogger. LOL
Why would you need to charge a phone?

The voltmeter idea makes sense if you have a working lighter, not being used for somehting important like running a datalogger. LOL
Why would you need to charge a phone?
I use Waze or Google maps LOL

Good morning. What gets me is "Bypass disable the amp meter" without "Install a volt meter or some sort of indicator". Fly blind? Roll one and forget about it until you smell a different smoke?
Yup. And they call it 'magic smoke'. LOL

Sadly, I think there's at least a half dozen posts on IFSJA where guys have disabled their FSJ's by trying to follow the MAD bypass or some badly done variant. And many are shorts to ground.

Vehicles with electric winches, running EFI and electric fans, giant amplifiers etc IMO they need a different power feed system. For a stocker, a person with little knowledge is best off just paralleling the OEM feeds if the bulkhead connectors are poor, and for A bodies and some B C and Es, a headlight relay system for any significant amount of driving at night.

I haven't attempted than one so don't know. all my experience in A-bodies.
Volt gauge would show the same as current changes.
The big difference in the 2 gauge types is in how they are wired into the electrical system. Amp gauge measures current passing through it. So logically, All of the current has to pass through it for it to work, Thus requiring very large gauge wires. Its a lot of juice that could be and has been a serious fault in a very few cases ( considering the vast numbers produced and still in use today).
A volts gauge is simply tapped into the system with much smaller wiring, more or less sensing the current. A volt gauge failure cannot stop the entire car no more than temp' gauge failure can stop water flow. Amp gauge failure stops all electrical.

I haven't attempted than one so don't know. all my experience in A-bodies.
Volt gauge would show the same as current changes.
The big difference in the 2 gauge types is in how they are wired into the electrical system. Amp gauge measures current passing through it. So logically, All of the current has to pass through it for it to work, Thus requiring very large gauge wires. Its a lot of juice that could be and has been a serious fault in a very few cases ( considering the vast numbers produced and still in use today).
A volts gauge is simply tapped into the system with much smaller wiring, more or less sensing the current. A volt gauge failure cannot stop the entire car no more than temp' gauge failure can stop water flow. Amp gauge failure stops all electrical.
Curiosity is going to kill me. I just checked the '73 Dodge FSM. Ammeters for all. B-bodies with optional 65 amp alternator connect wires to the ammeter through a grommet. The alternator side goes back out through that grommet to a single post terminal block. I kindof like it.

Wind is howling. Just above freezing so its drying and melting at the same time.
Going to attack the engine swap next. Should be done tomorrow.
Then tundra, all the parts should be in by afternoon.

Curiosity is going to kill me. I just checked the '73 Dodge FSM. Ammeters for all. B-bodies with optional 65 amp alternator connect wires to the ammeter through a grommet. The alternator side goes back out through that grommet to a single post terminal block. I kindof like it.
There are remote shunt examples too. The amp gauge didn't have the 2 large wires to it. That gauge is attached to the circuit board like any other gauge.

There are remote shunt examples too. The amp gauge didn't have the 2 large wires to it. That gauge is attached to the circuit board like any other gauge.
You can also use a digital gauge. The volt side just hooks up parallel and the amps has a inductive pick up coil. I used one on a AC powered power supply. I bet they are available in DC as well

Resized952018030695152550.jpg

Resized952018030695150958.jpg

I was looking the '76 diagrams when some folks started threads on problems with their wiring. Interesting stuff.

Well. Finally time to get out of here and work on the car a little. First priority is to see if the 15 Volts is just because I was measuring when it was cold. Wayyy behind on getting the car ready for autocross season.

Well. Finally time to get out of here and work on the car a little. First priority is to see if the 15 Volts is just because I was measuring when it was cold. Wayyy behind on getting the car ready for autocross season.
You need a "plug in your cigarette lighter" voltmeter. :poke: Another thing nice about those is you are testing the voltage after it passes through the bulkhead connectors and using factory grounds. LOL

-
Back