Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I am watching the news, bahamas are taking a beating,
The destruction is incredible.
They are going to need a lot of help.
Yeah it’s like the hurricane just put it in park right on top of them. They’ll be lucky if anyone survives 3 days of a Cat 5

It just passed so far only 3 dead. Pretty heavy damage. Bet they get help faster than Puerto Rico though.

It just passed so far only 3 dead. Pretty heavy damage. Bet they get help faster than Puerto Rico though.
They just upped it to 5. Said they think it’ll go up as they have 2000 reports of bodies floating in the flood waters. Sounds like Katrina all over again

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

No voting representation in Congress

Voting rights of United States citizens in Puerto Rico, like the voting rights of residents of other United States territories, differ from those of United States citizens in each of the fifty states and the District of Columbia. Residents of Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories do not have voting representation in the United States Congress, and are not entitled to electoral votes for President. The United States Constitution grants congressional voting representation to U.S. states, which Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories are not, specifying that members of Congress shall be elected by direct popular vote and that the President and the Vice President shall be elected by electors chosen by the States.[Note 1]

Puerto Rico is a territory under the sovereignty of the federal government, but is not part of any state nor is it a state itself. It has been organized (given a measure of self-rule by the Congress) subject to the Congress' plenary powers under the territorial clause of Article IV, sec. 3, of the U.S. Constitution.[1] In the U.S. House of Representatives, Puerto Rico is entitled to a Resident Commissioner, a delegate who is not allowed to vote on the floor of the House, but can vote on procedural matters and in House committees. In most other U.S. overseas (and historically pre-state) territories, as well as the District of Columbia, a similar representative position is styled Delegate.

The lack of direct voting representation in Congress for residents of the territory has been an issue since the U.S. Congress granted U.S. citizenship to Puerto Rico citizens in 1917. All judicial claims have been met with political or constitutional challenges; therefore, there has been no change in Puerto Rico's representation in the Congress or representation on the electoral college for the U.S. citizens residing in Puerto Rico.

Like other territories, Puerto Rico can participate in the presidential primary process. It holds a primary election in the spring of each presidential election year. Then the parties choose delegates to the Republican and Democratic National Convention, who are pledged to vote at that convention for the winners of Puerto Rico's primary, but that's the end of their participation in the presidential election. See United States presidential primaries in Puerto Rico, 2016.

PR screwed up by not becoming a state and still having all the benefits. No electoral votes at all so politicians don't care about them.
My brother was deployed to PR to help with their relief. Their OWN politicans refused to distribute the aid. For 3 weeks, my brother's unit of Marines unloaded thousands of pallets of food, water, and clothing with other supplies into a giant field because the Puerto Ricans in charge refused to help their citizens to try to score PR points against Trump.

Very corrupt there. Spent a month there with the Haiti relief. The plane was at a FBO and the owner was the chief of police for San Juan. Hell he was corrupt. He used to let us bar hop driven by police in the cop cars and that is just the tip of it.

Every night you can actually see muzzle flashes in town ever few minutes from the hotel balcony. I did not care for the place at all.

My brother was deployed to PR to help with their relief. Their OWN politicans refused to distribute the aid. For 3 weeks, my brother's unit of Marines unloaded thousands of pallets of food, water, and clothing with other supplies into a giant field because the Puerto Ricans in charge refused to help their citizens to try to score PR points against Trump.
I had heard that. Not right that's for sure. We have Red Cross crews and utility crews heading to Fla. Even a 4 person ambulance crew took off yesterday to help where needed.

I had heard that. Not right that's for sure. We have Red Cross crews and utility crews heading to Fla. Even a 4 person ambulance crew took off yesterday to help where needed.
I wouldn't have believed it if I saw it online or in the news, but my brother is a Captain in USMC, he wouldn't make that up so I trust it to be true.

Indiana has sent Task Force 1, the state SAR unit down to Florida, stated near Tallahassee just waiting.

Good morning all. Heading off to clean out mothers apt. Won't be fun.....but life goes on...

-
Back