Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
From one thing to another. I am surprised how difficult it is to find like 1095 quality steel bar stock for making a leaf spring. I find it, but most often for making knives so 1.5 inch is often a maximum. And overall, the suppliers does not seem to have a large selection of qualities of any kind of steel, for whatever use.

Bill

They had cassette tapes in different materials... Normal, Cr02 (chromium oxide for hi-fi, and metal (for higher-fi)...

Then they were made in 30 min, 60 min, 90 min, and 120 minute tapes... Each side held one half of the rated time...

The trouble with making a mix tape with them is sometimes you ran out of room on the last song for that side and it cut the song off short...

Some higher end cassette deck players also could reverse without removing the tape...
TDK sa90 if i recall correctly. 90 minute tapes stood up about the best.
A store bought album on cassette was like 30-40 minutes, they were so light the sony deck i had would eject them and would land on the seat.

I still have my Sony Rack system with dual cassette tape deck and 5 disc CD player. I have a couple of dozen tapes that still sound good. I used to make mix tapes from the CD player for the car.

View attachment 1715390399
That's from the era when SoNy was the unstoppable best

They were the company that invented Mini Disc, even though I think they killed the mini disc by being too exclusive with and keeping the prices extremely high

That's from the era when SoNy was the unstoppable best

They were the company that invented Mini Disc, even though I think they killed the mini disc by being too exclusive with and keeping the prices extremely high
Years back if you took a pioneer cd player apart, you would see sony on the cd player mechanism somewhere.

I probably have 100 tapes up in the attic....couldn't throw them out....oh the memories!!!

You better watch to make sure that they didn't get too hot in the attic... I lost a few that got too hot in the interior of my car and the tape stuck together on the reels...

I am not at all familiar with the 8 track cassettes, only had the 4 track. And for those who wonder what this means, is that you need 2 tracks for stereo, 1 track for the left speaker and 1 track for the right speaker. Then, when at the end, you flip it over and play the other 2 tracks. The 8 track cassette I assume you have a switch to play 2 set of songs on each side.
I always used the 60 minute cassettes, never the 90 or 120. Too much "band salad" we called it. The tape material was so thin to get 50% or 100% more length in them that they did not hold up too well. Maybe expensive players were better.

If you bought a cassette with music on, I think the only size I have come across was 45 minute.

Bill

No, you're confusing the two types of tapes from back in the day... There was 8 track that had 4 'channels'...

Then there were cassettes...

There was no 8 track cassette....

Memory lane big time. I have like 5 cases full and even some new ones, never opened.

When I was in junior high my birth dad would give me $300. Dollars a month allowance. I would buy a couple packs of discs a month from Service merchandise ( a store that went out of business)
I recorded everything from my first led zeppelin experience to all the latest.

Whenever I was in London, for some reason blank discs were cheaper there than anywhere in the US. That was before people really ordered much from the internet.

Ebay has them now but they are worth more now than when they were new 20 years ago.

20190906_160642.jpg

20190906_160650.jpg

I still have my Sony Rack system with dual cassette tape deck and 5 disc CD player. I have a couple of dozen tapes that still sound good. I used to make mix tapes from the CD player for the car.

View attachment 1715390399

I still have my old stereo also...

One dual cassette and one single cassette with the top end head for better recording... 5 disc CD changer and a 100 watt per channel Kenwood amp...

I thought you called the 8 track also a cassette.

Bill
The 8 track was considered a cartridge. It contained 4 separate bands of right and left channel on a continuous loop wide magnetic tape.

The cassette contained a right and left channel on each side of the narrower tape that reguired reversing to play the second band making it similar to a reel-to-reel design.

Both were designed to hold just a single album so the advantage with the cassette was that it was smaller and more portable. The disadvantage was that you had to eject it and flip it over to play the other side.

The difference in tape cartridge size can be seen here.

0450F3B0-698F-404B-A536-4634CE5FCAA3.jpeg

People used to say the 8 track sounded so much better, but that was in the early days before magnetic tape technology and tape player head technology evolved to make the difference nearly zero.

Of course, the advent of CD digital optical recording technology made the magnetic analogue recording and playback technology obsolete very rapidly. Computer technology then quickly advanced so that the optical discs and readers of the CD were no longer required and now it is all on a memory chip.

The 8 track was considered a cartridge. It contained 4 separate bands of right and left channel on a continuous loop wide magnetic tape.

The cassette contained a right and left channel on each side of the narrower tape that reguired reversing to play the second band making it similar to a reel-to-reel design.

Both were designed to hold just a single album so the advantage with the cassette was that it was smaller and more portable. The disadvantage was that you had to eject it and flip it over to play the other side.

The difference in tape cartridge size can be seen here.

View attachment 1715390426

People used to say the 8 track sounded so much better, but that was in the early days before magnetic tape technology and tape player head technology evolved to make the difference nearly zero.

Of course, the advent of CD digital optical recording technology made the magnetic analogue recording and playback technology obsolete very rapidly. Computer technology then quickly advanced so that the optical discs and readers of the CD were no longer required and now it is all on a memory chip.
I didn't use 8-tracks much but really thought the switching in middle of songs sucked...
As for the flipping the cassette. Most of the decks I had were auto reversing.

I remember recording on to 8-tracks.press record when inserting tape. When it got to the end to switch tracks you had to yank it out,press record to start the process again. Cassette was so much easier.

I didn't use 8-tracks much but really thought the switching in middle of songs sucked...
As for the flipping the cassette. Most of the decks I had were auto reversing.
Initially, they all had to be flipped. Once head technology in the playback devices advanced, the auto reverse became common and flipping was no longer required.

-
Back