Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Lowers are done. Finely:)

1608685419388991621290724663327.jpg

Me and Kirk were workin in the local Ford dealership that was sellin those when new. We got one in with a bad engine that went through arbitration. It sat on the lot over a year. We were gonna put a Mustang 5.0 and T5 in it and almost got to. We had it wheeled in the shop and had the hood off fixin to yank all the bullshit out when the shop foreman hollered at us that Ford had JUST called for it back. This was like 85 I guess? That would have been a first, I believe.
Would have been cool.

I don't see what the prejudice was against the yugo. It's a Fiat engine and fiat is one of the longest standing, most consistent companies out there.

They served millions of not billions of people right over the years all over the world.

I don't see what the prejudice was against the yugo. It's a Fiat engine and fiat is one of the longest standing, most consistent companies out there.

They served millions of not billions of people right over the years all over the world.
It came out the same year the Hyundai excel did. And they were priced the same. And the Excel was a MUCH better car.....

Because it was one of the worst cars in US history.

Read and learn...

“In May 1984, entrepreneur Malcolm Bricklin was in a bind. His venture, the importation of Pininfarina Spiders and Bertone X1/9s, was failing, and, facing bankruptcy, he had 120 days to find a more profitable car to sell here. So Bricklin scoured the world, traveling first to England, where he tried to land Jaguar, then to Serbia, a republic of what was then communist Yugoslavia. It was there, in the parking lot of Belgrade’s Hotel InterContinental, that he and former Fiat executive Tony Ciminera first examined a Fiat-based hatchback called the Yugo.

“I’m looking at [the car] and I said, ‘Ugh! This is really primitive!’ ” recalls Ciminera. But Bricklin was desperate. So the next day, he and Ciminera toured the Yugo factory, the owner of which, the aptly named Crvena Zastava (or Red Flag) Works, also made machine guns. The building was dark, the floors greasy, and Ciminera was shocked to discover smoking workers stepping into cars with dirty shoes on and newly stamped fenders being thrown into bins. It was a disaster. But because the Yugo cost about $2000 wholesale, Bricklin figured he could cover the car’s homologation and sell it stateside for just $3990, which he did in August 1985.

Although it was a communist-made car sold in Reagan’s America, dealers had customers lining up 10 deep to buy one. Yugo America sold an astonishing 1050 cars in a single day. But what goes up must come down. There were serious quality issues. The car was slow, crawling to 60 mph in 14 seconds and topping out at 86 mph. Then came the reviews. C/D’s then technical director, Csaba Csere, wrote, “It’s obvious to me that the Yugo GV is inferior to every other car sold in America.”

The hits kept coming. The car performed poorly in crash tests, sales plummeted, and soon everyone was ripping on it: Saturday Night Live, Leno, Letterman, The Simpsons. Kids told jokes about it, and one dealer in Philadelphia offered a “Toyugo” sale, but most buyers refused the free Yugo that came with the purchase of their Toyota. The end came in 1992, when, during the Yugoslav civil war, Yugo America went bankrupt (for a second time), and the United Nations issued a trade embargo on Serbia that included Yugo parts.”

Just relentless tonight at work. Felt like a pinball.... First thing we find out they scheduled us for a full shift Sunday. Then get carryover jobs from 1st. A couple of to be done tonight jobs turned into we need it now. Then couldn't get curing lights to work on one press. In the middle of all that, boss calls to tell me 3rd shift is out, so we need to pick up some of their hours. Luckily the guy I work with said he would stay tonight, so I bugged out regular time. Tomorrow we shut it down at the end of our shift. So I will have to do 10 hours on the extra shift Sunday night.

Hey. Good to see you are still on board. Thought you might have got busted for smoking and caused an international incident. LOL
Not yet...Hell no one comes into the room, ever. I guess they would have to detect it when I leave. But Ive been extra careful. Only one a day by the window 1/2 at midday and the other 1/2 in the evening....:thumbsup:

Not yet...Hell no one comes into the room, ever. I guess they would have to detect it when I leave. But Ive been extra careful. Only one a day by the window 1/2 at midday and the other 1/2 in the evening....:thumbsup:
Just remember a non smoker will smell it long after the smoke is gone.

I guess one a you guys will be waking up soon.......Oh wait...5pm here = 3am EST...So sleep in a little longer....

Yup, Just got dark. Rush hour traffic outside, from 12 floors up overlooking the highway....

So how is it going? I would be sooo bored. Reach the end of the internet yet?
Nah... I have face time with my girl in VN. Watch some Korean Sports on TV, Talk to y'all, Surf Youtube, etc.. Spent a lot of time researching flights from Korea to VN. Got some help from a friend in Saigon. Hooked me up with his VN travel agent, so now have all the correct info on what is needed. Apparently the only way to get a flight in is to use a real VN travel guy. Looks like I'll get out of here on the 2nd, and go downtown to a Hotel I booked until Jan 12. Flight to VN on Jan 12. At least thats the way it looks right now..But...anything can change at any moment around these parts....

At least you will get there. I hope nothing else comes up in the meantime. Getting strange around here.

-
Back