Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Only one here. I do have a old Allen-Whitlock percussion pistol that has been passed down in the family. Want to fire it one day, weird caliber like 35 or something.

Very cool. Earliest I've gone is 1803...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPZqnoLd5x-GVmvqanOVWghK-qtFhyrJVTlw&usqp=CAU.jpg

I have a number of reproduction black powder rifles, muskets and rifle muskets from 1792 - 1861. I enjoy them a great deal. Lately it's been a question of time and funds investment... acquiring the proper items for an impression is not inexpensive... I'd rather work on the car
Most of my stuff was intially government issued (most well used/worn). Over time I got some of my own clothes and basic equipment. What really put me off was when I sent a shirt that fit me, and material (linnen) to a seamstress to make a new shirt, never to be seen again. Also had a really nice french surplus blanket stolen when I was cooking breakfast for the crew at SARA. Stuff like that leaves a real sour taste.

Only one here. I do have a old Allen-Whitlock percussion pistol that has been passed down in the family. Want to fire it one day, weird caliber like 35 or something.
Need to check that out when I finally get out to your place!

As per my usual run of luck, axle seal is wrong and it needs a new cv shaft. Glad it was the only job in the lineup.

At Morristown I really started to shift the focus to building the camp. In fact the last time I worked there, it was specifically to rehab the hut exhibits. I incorporated the living history as part of that process. So there was no shooting, even when I had re-enactment groups there. At Valley Forge, it was a little different because some of the last times I was there working on huts, the regular staff was there too. So they did their regular program in addition to what I was doing. It worked out well as when they did musket demos they could put another person in the field.

Of course historically speaking, there was hardly any live firing at any camp.
Valley Forge did have a target range, and at Morristown there were some demonstrations (blank firing) for special occassions. All of the combat of course was far far out of camp at what might now be called the front lines,

As per my usual run of luck, axle seal is wrong and it needs a new cv shaft. Glad it was the only job in the lineup.
Had my Buick towed. The shop just called and said it was fixed. :BangHead::BangHead: Something simple. They hooked the scanner up and there were dozens of codes. He cleared the codes and fired it up, went for a half hour test drive and all is well. Never heard of that before.

At Morristown I really started to shift the focus to building the camp. In fact the last time I worked there, it was specifically to rehab the hut exhibits. I incorporated the living history as part of that process. So there was no shooting, even when I had re-enactment groups there. At Valley Forge, it was a little different because some of the last times I was there working on huts, the regular staff was there too. So they did their regular program in addition to what I was doing. It worked out well as when they did musket demos they could put another person in the field.

Of course historically speaking, there was hardly any live firing at any camp.
Valley Forge did have a target range, and at Morristown there were some demonstrations (blank firing) for special occassions. All of the combat of course was far far out of camp at what might now be called the front lines,
The Group I'm aligned with is similar interpretation and living history as opposed to powder burns. Do a lot of stuff with National Park Service so there's no force on force (or ramming) permitted.

Had my Buick towed. The shop just called and said it was fixed. :BangHead::BangHead: Something simple. They hooked the scanner up and there were dozens of codes. He cleared the codes and fired it up, went for a half hour test drive and all is well. Never heard of that before.

So how much did that hit you for?

The Group I'm aligned with is similar interpretation and living history as opposed to powder burns. Do a lot of stuff with National Park Service so there's no force on force (or ramming) permitted.
Sounds good.
I like burning powder as much as the next guy but early on I realized I was more interested in the interpretation and learning. I did a few 'blue-red" with a reenactment group and they were good learning experiences. So glad I got to do them.
Morristown had been blessed with some really positive support for living history from the early 1970s through the early 90s.

Sounds good.
I like burning powder as much as the next guy but early on I realized I was more interested in the interpretation and learning.
Morristown had been blessed with some really positive support for living history from the early 1970s through the early 90s.

Hear ya...

Yeah, my time has been Fort McHenry and Harper's Ferry mostly...get out to Fort Frederick (state park) North Point now and again and road trips to the Niagara region

Algiere Harpers Ferry May 2018 CIB (2).jpg

Last edited:
Got to go where you feel comfortable.
I have almost no photos of when I started M-town.
Scanned this one out the park files.
upload_2022-1-27_12-17-1.png

and one of my old colleages scanned this one not long ago. 2nd from right.
upload_2022-1-27_12-19-30.png

We were pretty much an all weather operation.

Getting the wool coveralls (combined breeches and gaiters) was a big improvement.
upload_2022-1-27_12-25-26.png

The curator talked me into buying them. Well worth it and more correct for our site.

Got an "H" pipe installed on my Dart. That alone raised idle RPM 200 or so. Turned back down, that has to save gas :thumbsup:....BUT there is an annoying drone at 1500 RPM. It was there before the "H" pipe. O well, get used to it I guess....

Got an "H" pipe installed on my Dart. That alone raised idle RPM 200 or so. Turned back down, that has to save gas :thumbsup:....BUT there is an annoying drone at 1500 RPM. It was there before the "H" pipe. O well, get used to it I guess....
Turn up the sound system.

62xgy2.jpg

Did that H pipe disrupt the header sound I like? Or the cam shaft related lope? Just curious, never encountered one that I know of.

The USN Wing Nuts are here to enjoy the weather and tacos and margaritas at our airport with Pepper Garcia's. Probably playing with a carrier out in the channel on the other end before returning to Lemoore NAS.

-
Back