Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
***** Poem..jpg

Good morning (_)]. My other cup is in the font washer. Thank you, I'll be here all week.
I'm at 3 weeks today, no alcohol, no cigarettes, and lovin' it!
I feel good. Sleeping better, waking earlier.
Yall have a great day

Guess I should go clean the snow off the driveway. Not getting above freezing till at least Monday

Hughes usually rates their duration @.050 which 240° @.050 is a pretty lumpy cam....
Usually around 295° advertised. Teem that with one ground at 108° and it makes for a cam with attitude. I wouldn't think it would have much low end power. LOL

Mind if I ask why? It's not really big, is it? I mean, lift is large and the LSA is only 108 but the duration isn't very large (high?).

I don't really understand these things and maybe it's too complicated to spell out in a forum post but would a larger cam make a small cubes engine like the 273 completely useless below 5k, like a twostroke?
smaller the LSA the choppier the idle, 106 would sound like a superstock car. 110-112 would give a smoother idle.

smaller the LSA the choppier the idle, 106 would sound like a superstock car. 110-112 would give a smoother idle.
I have been chatting with a member here about 273 cams. He has a 67 273 already at +.060 with unknown pistons, cam, and heads. He already has the 4 barrel, ignition, good exhaust and rear gear to make it snappy. The engine is a fairly fresh rebuild so he doesn't want to get inside it except to change the cam for something bigger for more power. I am trying to talk him off the ceiling about it. That's a lot of work and expense to possibly go backwards. :BangHead::BangHead:

From my research and experience a 273 makes most of its power spinning fast. Not much low end torque. Anders wants spin his at 7 grand. IMO that cam would fit the bill. If everything else is correct....stick or auto? Could use low gears and a loose convertor. IMO
Right now everything is up in the air. I just a couple of days ago bought a shifter for a 4-speed and today I got a fork, boot and return spring. Looking at options for a bellhousing, found one for $75 that's been a little "cut into", not sure what that means yet. A Z-bar and some hump fabbing and I'm set for a stick.

As far as auto goes, I've got a converter that's supposed to stall 2800 or so but I think that's with a hopped up 440 so it's probably too hard for a little 273.

Maybe stick is the way to go?

When it comes to gears, I've got a 489 with 4.56 gears and a welded diff and a 741 with 3.23 and an Auburn diff. Changing to something else in the 741 shouldn't be a problem. There's not too much to choose from, though. I could move the Aubrun over to the 489 of course so I've got options.

From my research and experience a 273 makes most of its power spinning fast. Not much low end torque. Anders wants spin his at 7 grand. IMO that cam would fit the bill. If everything else is correct....stick or auto? Could use low gears and a loose convertor. IMO
Not much difference than any other small block. Maximum horsepower is around 5000 like all the rest. That rpm thing is a old wives tale. And look at that flat torque curve. Yes the bigger cube engines will have more torque at lower rpm's. That's why they put 360's in trucks. LOL
upload_2022-1-29_10-37-40.png

Right now everything is up in the air. I just a couple of days ago bought a shifter for a 4-speed and today I got a fork, boot and return spring. Looking at options for a bellhousing, found one for $75 that's been a little "cut into", not sure what that means yet. A Z-bar and some hump fabbing and I'm set for a stick.

As far as auto goes, I've got a converter that's supposed to stall 2800 or so but I think that's with a hopped up 440 so it's probably too hard for a little 273.

Maybe stick is the way to go?

When it comes to gears, I've got a 489 with 4.56 gears and a welded diff and a 741 with 3.23 and an Auburn diff. Changing to something else in the 741 shouldn't be a problem. There's not too much to choose from, though. I could move the Aubrun over to the 489 of course so I've got options.
You will need to check the snout on that converter depending on what crank you are running. And, 904 and 727 converters are different.

-
Back