Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
They had a Porter Cable there that was the same basically. Which would be the better one TMM

I would say Porter Cable but a inexpensive compressor is just that. Inexpensive. (I won't say cheap) lol I traded through 2 Craftsman's and finally got a Quincy that I always wanted. A friend's divorce made it happen. Not the best circumstances to get a deal on a compressor though.

breaker vs GFI
Breakers (or fuses) are for a high current draw. They can open if the draw is between conductors or to ground
GFI's catch 'leaks'. They basically compare the power on both legs and will fail if not equal. The common reason for this is wet locations where a small current finds its way to a ground. They have a test switch that simulates this.
unfortunately neither can catch a bad connection. In this situation the amps are not any higher than normal so the breaker wont trip and unless the burn creates a path to ground the GFI wont see it.
Both can become less effective over time. If they are tripping when there is no problem they may be defective.

The burn in DNA's outlet looks like it may have started inside. The hole where the plug goes in is burnt. I would guess that the piece that engages the plug blade was loose. If you have plugs that dont hold tight in the socket this is what eventually can happen...

I am back for a minute before putting orders together. So a loose plug in a socket acts just like a loose connection? I guess it would just never thought about it. I know I have a few that need to be changed then. Thanks Keith.

one of those things you really live with. I know I have a few old 2 prongers that I need to change and a few of the newer ones.

You guys would cringe if you saw the history of indoor electrical in my "dungeon" , It had bell and wire, cloth, steel cable covered screw in fuses, wires to nowhere etc. I have replaced the bell and tube when I first moved in but really need to get in there for a few days to pull the no longer hooked up stuff and get mega bucks for the copper!

breaker vs GFI
Breakers (or fuses) are for a high current draw. They can open if the draw is between conductors or to ground
GFI's catch 'leaks'. They basically compare the power on both legs and will fail if not equal. The common reason for this is wet locations where a small current finds its way to a ground. They have a test switch that simulates this.
unfortunately neither can catch a bad connection. In this situation the amps are not any higher than normal so the breaker wont trip and unless the burn creates a path to ground the GFI wont see it.
Both can become less effective over time. If they are tripping when there is no problem they may be defective.

The burn in DNA's outlet looks like it may have started inside. The hole where the plug goes in is burnt. I would guess that the piece that engages the plug blade was loose. If you have plugs that dont hold tight in the socket this is what eventually can happen...

This is correct, and I have seen receptacles go bad because of they was a shabby build or the wires was not tight.. #-o

You guys would cringe if you saw the history of indoor electrical in my "dungeon" , It had bell and wire, cloth, steel cable covered screw in fuses, wires to nowhere etc. I have replaced the bell and tube when I first moved in but really need to get in there for a few days to pull the no longer hooked up stuff and get mega bucks for the copper!

You have a grand place there Hops :cheers:

Morning Memi, Bye Memi I have to run, Way to much time on here this morning and it sucked me back in once! Love the stuff more this morning. I noticed one of the "serrations" on the back of the knife will be a great bottle opener in the field!

Morning Memi, Bye Memi I have to run, Way to much time on here this morning and it sucked me back in once! Love the stuff more this morning. I noticed one of the "serrations" on the back of the knife will be a great bottle opener in the field!

You seen that :color: Yea, I understand you need to go, I hit the hay at 2am and just getting my second cup of :coffee2: in me, sun is shinning and plenty to do outside when it warms up, 65 for the high :cheers:

No 2 prongs here, but i have some that are looser than i like. That and a hundred or so other things i know i should take care of... Time and money, i guess its the priorities thing.

If you need the receptacles I probably have a 100 around here that came with the house, some new some used. Contractor leftover I guess. Man I need to get an agricultural shipping license for overseas. Orders came in that I refused from Mexico, Korea, Germany and Britain this morning. Philippine's yesterday. Not worth the certification though.

Saw a post earlier about a fridge on the fritz, TMM I believe? dirty condenser coil is a good place to start. I thought that on mine, till i realized it is tucked underneath somewhere. Not on the back where they were for the last hundred years. LOL
The fridge is about 10 years old and had its first 'warm spell' about 5 years ago. At some point i turned it off for a few minutes. Back on and it worked! Apparently the boards in these can be rebooted like a computer. Ive done it several times since when it feels warm.
Otherwise the next things to look at ( if not already done) would be iced up evap or a fan not working...

Speaking of old electrical. This is what we're rockin.

IMG_2568_zps7d8ee3ea.jpg

Saw a post earlier about a fridge on the fritz, TMM I believe? dirty condenser coil is a good place to start. I thought that on mine, till i realized it is tucked underneath somewhere. Not on the back where they were for the last hundred years. LOL
The fridge is about 10 years old and had its first 'warm spell' about 5 years ago. At some point i turned it off for a few minutes. Back on and it worked! Apparently the boards in these can be rebooted like a computer. Ive done it several times since when it feels warm.
Otherwise the next things to look at ( if not already done) would be iced up evap or a fan not working...

Yep cleaning the coils is where I'll start. The compressor is on the top so the evaporator is is pretty easy to clean. (It's a Sub Zero) The freezer fan is not blowing either. We had a timer go out 10 years ago and it acts about the same as it did then. Great idea to shut it off. I'll try that too. Thanks for the tip. tmm

Is there another fan for the fridge? That 'freezer' fan may be your problem. I have a Kenmore / LG. It has a fan located in the back inside of the freezer that as far as i know is what takes cold air up to the fridge. To the best i can tell, there is no fan or coils in the fridge.

It is the timer. I cleaned out the freezer and took the evaporator cover off. I wiggled the wires to the timer and the compressor started. The freezer fan started also. It seems to be cooling now but I'm getting a new timer anyway. This is what it looks like. Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• 7014648.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 84
Speaking of old electrical. This is what we're rockin.

IMG_2568_zps7d8ee3ea.jpg

Any idea how old they are? How's it wired? Guessing if they are in boxes, they are the brown bakelite plastic. Havent seen any lately. I thought they were old till i was working in a house in Scranton. Had those and outlets were mounted in floors and baseboards. They were actually an upgrade. We found pipes in the wall from the previous system of GAS lights.

Spent the afternoon at a benefit my coworker organized at a nearby chicken farm, large property with big mossy oaks. My double-crabmeat deviled eggs won the people's choice award. A lot of money was raised for two families fighting cancer. Good food, live music, vendors...look what caught my eye...actually I saw it from the back with the sun shining through the canvas but realized, hey, that's a Dart! Had to have it. The photographer was very nice, she is just starting out selling her work.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 71
Spent the afternoon at a benefit my coworker organized at a nearby chicken farm, large property with big mossy oaks. My double-crabmeat deviled eggs won the people's choice award. A lot of money was raised for two families fighting cancer. Good food, live music, vendors...look what caught my eye...actually I saw it from the back with the sun shining through the canvas but realized, hey, that's a Dart! Had to have it. The photographer was very nice, she is just starting out selling her work.
That's cool Dave. Nice score. And your award winning double crab deviled egg recipe is....................................???????????????????????????

Rainy Day Auto! Cool Rani. You got it changed.

I was going to go with "Rani day auto" but I think the rani part will be confusing to those who are not aware that its actually a persons name. Its not a name used commonly in the USA so for that reason I decided Rainy is better and its the same pronunciation

-
Back