Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
OK.. so for someone who knows exactly shiiiite about how to weld, is a Craftsman 20511 MiG welder cart and helmet for $75 a good starter kit?

View attachment 1715906448
If the welder and helmet both work, it is an OK deal. However, for a few hundred more, you can get a Hobart Handler 145 (made by Miller). I had one that lasted about 15 years. I upgraded to a Miller last year and listed the Hobart on Craig's List for $150. It sold almost immediately, for full asking price. Flux core welding is harder to do well on sheet metal, and it can get messy.

I think with welder machines, you get what you pay for.

Pay more for a really nice machine now and don't look back. Get a cheap welder now and have to go through this again in a few years.

Look for kicking horse brand welders for a smashing machine at a relatively low price. I think they are made in Canada and I have never heard anything bad about them.

So I tore down what i was expecting to be a regular 360 and the dang thing has roller rockers.

So now I'm confused.

I was thinking a roller rocker engine is a magnum. I was under the impression that magnum engines came out later than 1990.

This is a 360 1990 dodge ram D250. Everything on the engine and block has 1990 dates. 1/90.

20220412_194144.jpg

So I tore down what i was expecting to be a regular 360 and the dang thing has roller rockers.

So now I'm confused.

I was thinking a roller rocker engine is a magnum. I was under the impression that magnum engines came out later than 1990.

This is a 360 1990 dodge ram D250. Everything on the engine and block has 1990 dates. 1/90.

View attachment 1715906507
You mean roller lifters. No, some of the last LA engines had roller lifters. Purdy cool find.

If the welder and helmet both work, it is an OK deal. However, for a few hundred more, you can get a Hobart Handler 145 (made by Miller). I had one that lasted about 15 years. I upgraded to a Miller last year and listed the Hobart on Craig's List for $150. It sold almost immediately, for full asking price. Flux core welding is harder to do well on sheet metal, and it can get messy.
Machine is only as good as the person using it.
Personally I like flux core.

The Craftsman Welder I have is made by Clarke. It looks completely different than that one though. I've always been impressed with how good it welds. It seems to have a very clean transformer.
The welder that I have in my shop at home is a Clarke. I think it's an ES130. Gas or no gas welder. I am by no means a great welder. If I've got something really important to do I'll usually get a buddy to come over and do it correctly. But I still pick and learn at it when I have time.

The welder that I have in my shop at home is a Clarke. I think it's an ES130. Gas or no gas welder. I am by no means a great welder. If I've got something really important to do I'll usually get a buddy to come over and do it correctly. But I still pick and learn at it when I have time.
That's the same model mine is, but with the Craftsman name. It welds good.

Here's a couple pics from yesterday's work at the dam. They kept stacking those 10 ton plates on that crane, think they ended up with 200 tons. Those tracks are massive, pics don't do justice. Can't wait to see it in operation.

IMG_4434 (1).jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

-
Back