Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Happy Birthday, turning wrenches in peace is the best way to spend a Birthday in my opinio

Thanks much...agreed

A little light reading to go with coffee this morning :thumbsup:

Thanks @halifaxhops for the tip on getting this booklet

20221213_085421.jpg

Everything connected to the battery positive is hot
ok, I was checking around last night trying to find out where I had messed up with my wiring job as I was getting no voltage to the fuse block. part of what I did was hook up a volt gauge in my separate gauge pod. and when testing it there was no continuity across it. but there was continuity through the ammeter. and there is 12.6 volts on the battery side of the gauge and nothing on what would be the alternator side

ok, I was checking around last night trying to find out where I had messed up with my wiring job as I was getting no voltage to the fuse block. part of what I did was hook up a volt gauge in my separate gauge pod. and when testing it there was no continuity across it. but there was continuity through the ammeter. and there is 12.6 volts on the battery side of the gauge and nothing on what would be the alternator side
Lesson learned. Ammeter is way different. Glad you caught it it can drive you nuts.

Lesson learned. Ammeter is way different. Glad you caught it it can drive you nuts.
so basically the ammmer reads current as it flows through it and the voltgauge reads current going into it and just stops.
I'll fix that later tonight after work
Thank you you all for helping!

You should be able to tap into where the + voltage goes in. Make sure it is at least a 10 guage wire.

Hard to picture what how this has been rewired.

The ammeter is part of the circuit, except for '76 which uses a shunt wire.
Both studs should be at system voltage. No measureable resistance should be present in the gage. It acts like another section of wire unless the studs get loose.

1670940913714.png

Hard to picture what how this has been rewired.

The ammeter is part of the circuit, except for '76 which uses a shunt wire.
Both studs should be at system voltage. No measureable resistance should be present in the gage. It acts like another section of wire unless the studs get loose.

View attachment 1716021679
I took out the ammeter and extended the ammeter wires which are now going to an external voltgauge. so now the voltgauge is not flowing current but stopping it to read it. so my fuse block is not receiving power

I took out the ammeter and extended the ammeter wires which are now going to an external voltgauge. so now the voltgauge is not flowing current but stopping it to read it. so my fuse block is not receiving power
You can't use a voltmeter like that. In fact the only meter that can be put in-line is an ammeter
Master Technicians Conf. 67, p.22 Test Ammeters and Voltmeters

- unless its an externally shunted ammeter. Then the shunt goes in line and the meter is in parallel.
Like this
1670942248147.png

You can't use a voltmeter like that. In fact the only meter that can be put in-line is an ammeter
[/URL]

- unless its an externally shunted ammeter. Then the shunt goes in line and the meter is in parallel.
Like this
View attachment 1716021680
yes, I didn't realize that when I wired it which Is why I was going to Just feed power to the fuse block by tapping into the + side on the voltgauge

Morning fellers. snow is here, not so much the snow but the 40-50mph winds making it rough out. But does make the coffee and oatmeal taste better.

Last edited:
Crystal clear outside this morning, made for a nice view of the Moon last night. Frost out there and as usual NWS weather station says it not or ever was 32° over night :lol:

Thanks much...agreed

A little light reading to go with coffee this morning :thumbsup:

Thanks @halifaxhops for the tip on getting this booklet

View attachment 1716021672
May you have no double feeds today and hope you don’t swap a single miserable small battery out the whole day. And of course keep your feet and your powder dry!

-
Back