Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
3240al.jpg

Luckily missed it. Barely. Skirted the base fence line and damaged a bunch of trees and some small structures right outside base.

The neighbor directly south of our farm, lost his two year old , very nice, very expensive barn. And it was solid steel rated 115 mph winds. But all we had was some branches down
That good . Shame about the neighbor's barn. I learned early in my construction career "Nothing Man can build that Mother Nature can't tear down."

That good . Shame about the neighbor's barn. I learned early in my construction career "Nothing Man can build that Mother Nature can't tear down."
Wanna hear something funny… in 2020, the power company that owns the high voltage, long range transmissions lines that run over our farm started putting up what they are calling “tornado proof” poles. Theyre concrete poles , 8 feet in diameter, 40 feet into the ground. Solid concrete. We hadn’t had a tornado warning since the mid 1990s for our area, now we’ve had a crap ton . Coincidence or Mother Nature saying she’s gonna test them

Only once? In how many years. Definately not the way to make rank twice!
Haha this CSM is fiery.

But long story short, base is supposed to get automated alert phone calls from the NWS, the same ones the news stations get, when tornado warnings pop up within 15 miles. We were literally surround in every direction with tornado warnings and still no call. So after seeing multiple rotating funnels above post and seeing the monster tornado on the ground just five miles off post, I said F it and reached over and turned the tornado sirens on.

We always had to have reflective belts on the flightline at the last base day or night. Then they spent big money on these lightning protecters we had to have on the belts. They went off if it detected lightning withing 15 miles, 10 was the clear the flight line time. Well guess what they were not waterproof and would get wet and go off all the time. Great way to get out of the rain though following orders. Idiots.

We always had to have reflective belts on the flightline at the last base day or night. Then they spent big money on these lightning protecters we had to have on the belts. They went off if it detected lightning withing 15 miles, 10 was the clear the flight line time. Well guess what they were not waterproof and would get wet and go off all the time. Great way to get out of the rain though following orders. Idiots.
:rofl:

Thing is ,I wasn’t even supposed to still be on duty and everything was supposed to be closed. I sent everyone home right at closing time, but stayed to finish some paperwork and a class I had to complete. About an hour later, the skies went nuts and well the rest happened.

-
Back