Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
No howards stories... my cam is supposed to go in at 103.. i had to advance it 4 degrees to hit 103... it has me stressed... why can't **** be made with precision in 2023...

People who make them don't take pride in their work..................get them out the door as fast as they can, whether they are right or not.

The thing i don't get in the auto industry is things like my rocker **** last night "Every head is different" No... they really shouldn't be. .this **** is CNC machined every single head should be exactly the same.. every rocker riser on every head should be exactly the same distance over and over.. that's the entire point of CNC to take out the human **** up element...

I worked for a company doing heads for caterpillar.. this was 25 years ago and every hole was machine drilled and pre-programmed, no 2 heads were different...

No howards stories... my cam is supposed to go in at 103.. i had to advance it 4 degrees to hit 103... it has me stressed... why can't **** be made with precision in 2023...
Make sure the oil hole that feeds the rockers is completely drilled through!

Make sure the oil hole that feeds the rockers is completely drilled through!

BTW.. didn't he prime the motor and check oil to the top end? I'm paranoid and will be priming mine multiple times just cause my OCD brain will make me do it

Cam Talk....

One nice thing about Howards, they are made 30 min from my house and I know a couple people there. I would be standing in the office same day or early the next if there was something wrong.

I have nothing but praises for the Hughes cam I have. Have a Comp cam in my boys car that we just did this summer. Cam is a few years old, but all went very well.

BTW.. didn't he prime the motor and check oil to the top end? I'm paranoid and will be priming mine multiple times just cause my OCD brain will make me do it
I believe so. It was weird it was almost drilled completly through worked great on the pass side not so good on the driver's side. Really weird.
They took care of him I believe. Was there to help pull the motor. Man that was nerve racking all new engine bay paint. No scrapes though!

I believe so. It was weird it was almost drilled completly through worked great on the pass side not so good on the driver's side. Really weird.
They took care of him I believe. Was there to help pull the motor. Man that was nerve racking all new engine bay paint. No scrapes though!
haha i'm dreading putting my motor in.... my engine bay is sooo pretty right now, i'm going to be covering everything in moving blankets and cardboard.. almost to the point of putting the motor in without the trans to make it just drop in :)

I'm keeping my battery up front and it's eating at me.. don't want another in the trunk though.. but the engine look so much better with it gone

1000001592.jpg

haha i'm dreading putting my motor in.... my engine bay is sooo pretty right now, i'm going to be covering everything in moving blankets and cardboard.. almost to the point of putting the motor in without the trans to make it just drop in :)

I'm keeping my battery up front and it's eating at me.. don't want another in the trunk though.. but the engine look so much better with it g

1694028628591.png

Mine is in the trunk on the pop. The battery tray was just too tight in the engine bay.

Well.. i need to stop my 16 year old self thinking i'm building a race car when i'm really not :) Even thinking of 3.23s when i get sick of the 4.57s... actual freeway driving! :)

I would blame their lifters more than the cam... almost every cam is cast by the same company, if you are worried buy good lifters and don't use the comp ones.. probably be the cheapest route.
Hmmm isky lifters on a comp cam?

I'm keeping my battery up front and it's eating at me.. don't want another in the trunk though.. but the engine look so much better with it gone

My battery had already been moved to the trunk... keeping it there

I plan to do that too. And then re coat everything in break in lube

Hmmm isky lifters on a comp cam?
The cam doesn't care what lifters you have... If you are unsure about your comp lifters then i wouldn't hesitate changing them.. As some people have pointed out Comp sells WAY more than anyone else.. so you will always hear about more issues.. although the flat cam thing i have never heard near as bad as the last few years..

What rear you running?
me? 8 3/4 that right now has 2.89 open diff... a friend gave me a 742 case with a fresh set of 4.57s which i know will be A LOT of fun for a few minutes :) It's been a long time since i had a old car (bout 25 years) so part of me wants to go waste tires and have fun.. and the old man in me wants to just drive and be quiet...

The cam doesn't care what lifters you have... If you are unsure about your comp lifters then i wouldn't hesitate changing them.. As some people have pointed out Comp sells WAY more than anyone else.. so you will always hear about more issues.. although the flat cam thing i have never heard near as bad as the last few years..
Supposedly they changed their heat treat process when they moved shops. Making the cams a bit softer.

My plan is to run break in valve springs or even my comp springs with the inners out.

This has to be a typo right?!?

IMG_1852.png

Supposedly they changed their heat treat process when they moved shops. Making the cams a bit softer.

My plan is to run break in valve springs or even my comp springs with the inners out.

This is a good video covering this.. guy actually does rockwell hardness testing on cams and lifters... the cams are all CWC castings from various companies and i believe all were over the hardness needed...

Whats funny is as a kid we didn't even know bout breaking in cams, we would throw them in and just run as normal..

-
Back