Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I'm not sure I've tried a rye yet. We plan on going to Scotland in the next year or so so probably need to get some rye experience before we go.

Bourbons can be pretty predictable. Sweet, caramel, and oak. I like the high rye bourbons because they add the extra complexity from the rye.
Now, The high rye ryes (they have to be 51% to be called "Ryes" as per Federal Law) They have a personality of their own. MGP makes juice for many companies and they have a 95/5 Rye that is quite delicious. 95% rue, 5% malted barley. You may get spearmint or tea flavors from that.
Have you ever had templeton rye?

I’ve come across more people that don’t like them but they always appeal to me. They are usually my go to. I may try the woodford rye next weekend
ANother thing you may want to do is get on E bay or where ever and order up a couple Glencairn glasses, You will be surprised at how well they work for nosing and tasting.

330379312_216716267594882_5326959286019562355_n.jpg

Listening to all this talk about disseminating and testing and qualifying Whiskeys and Ryes. I can only think about being 13 or 14 years old and not knowing of anything about internal combustion engines. Sounds like the same thing to me. All those different components you're talking about with Whiskeys and Ryes were learned about internal combustion engines at a later point in my life. Lol.. :rofl:

Listening to all this talk about disseminating and testing and qualifying Whiskeys and Ryes. I can only think about being 13 or 14 years old and not knowing of anything about internal combustion engines. Sounds like the same thing to me. All those different components you're talking about with Whiskeys and Ryes were learned about internal combustion engines at a later point in my life. Lol.. :rofl:
Lol im learning whiskey and engines. My head hurts many days :lol: I enjoy it though. Learning keeps things interesting. I swear sometimes my husbands head hurts from my engine questions.

I'm not sure I've tried a rye yet. We plan on going to Scotland in the next year or so so probably need to get some rye experience before we go.
Scotch is a whole-nother world. Lowland Scotch from near the coast is heavily peated. It will taste smokey, rubbery, almost like licking an ash tray. Highland Scotch producers don't use much peat moss to dry their malted barley so it doesn't pick up those flavors. Scotch and Irish whiskeys are pretty much 100% malted barley, no rye.

Through life I've moved from beer to wine to vodka and now whiskey.
I can say we both enjoy sipping whiskey the best by far...enjoyable and relaxing.

Scotch is a whole-nother world. Lowland Scotch from near the coast is heavily peated. It will taste smokey, rubbery, almost like licking an ash tray. Highland Scotch producers don't use much peat moss to dry their malted barley so it doesn't pick up those flavors. Scotch and Irish whiskeys are pretty much 100% malted barley, no rye.

I like a good Islay

My grandfather used to swear by Glenfiddich. He loved his whiskey and women.

Love or hate. I am not a Peat fan. I can stand a little bit . It reminds me of black licorice but not the American kind. The salty bitter European kind.
I have tried European licorice. It’s not to my liking. It’s too bitter to me.

I'm not a Scotch drinker but looking forward to Scottish whiskey. Need to start buying a few.

I worked with a Danish guy while in Germany. He'd have these little tins of liquorice... it about made you hurl... but if you needed to stay awake, it worked like caffeine
I remember that now it was a big thing in Germany seems it was everywhere like candy bars in the US.

-
Back