Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It's a little thin but at 90.4 proof it will be that way. I just got done with a couple pours of 120 proof so it makes a difference.

I just picked mine up tonight. I don’t have anything on hand really. The wine and spirits store is only 2 blocks from my house.
I have one right up the street as well. Oh and one a block and a half away.

Yep your's is newer for sure. I bought mine a year and a half ago. 2000 batches since then. My bottle is #2184. Say they bottle 2500 bottles per batch and each barrel yields 250 bottles, each batch is 10 barrels. I don't know the math they use but that's how it would work.
I can definitely taste the oak and I can smell fruit hints in it. I’m trying to find other hints in it.

I have one right up the street as well. Oh and one a block and a half away.
I don't see to the 120 proof too often. It's a bigger store and wonder if it comes at certain times of the month?? I asked today on Weller's and was told it comes on the second Tuesday or Thursday of the month.

puppy seems comfortable, no?

IMG_5998.jpeg

I just picked mine up tonight. I don’t have anything on hand really. The wine and spirits store is only 2 blocks from my house.
I get a little honey on the nose. Some baking spices, a hint of chocolate and a little butterscotch. The palate is sweet then it get's oaky but not bitter oak. mor honey oak. The sweetness is more honey than sugar. The palate has a lot of different flavors going on. Sweet, spicy, grainy (like cereal) oak, toasted marshmallow. Yum. For the lower proof, the finish is long and lingering with the honey oak most prevalent. I looked up the mash bill (recipe) and it is 72% corn (sweetness) 18% Rye (fairly high for a bourbon but rye ads complex flavors and spice), and 10% Malted Barley (which ads some cereal flavors) It's all in there. It's hard to believe and fascinating to me that all those flavors come out of 3 grains, some yeast(which does add specific flavors) and a oak barrel.

I get a little honey on the nose. Some baking spices, a hint of chocolate and a little butterscotch. The palate is sweet then it get's oaky but not bitter oak. mor honey oak. The sweetness is more honey than sugar. The palate has a lot of different flavors going on. Sweet, spicy, grainy (like cereal) oak, toasted marshmallow. Yum. For the lower proof, the finish is long and lingering with the honey oak most prevalent. I looked up the mash bill (recipe) and it is 72% corn (sweetness) 18% Rye (fairly high for a bourbon but rye ads complex flavors and spice), and 10% Malted Barley (which ads some cereal flavors) It's all in there. It's hard to believe and fascinating to me that all those flavors come out of 3 grains, some yeast(which does add specific flavors) and an oak barrel.
That’s amazing that you can detect all of that. Is that something that came naturally? Or did you learn that?

Something I just noticed. WR is triple distilled which will give it that smooth and creamy mouth feel. It's that mouth coating that gives it that lingering finish.

That’s amazing that you can detect all of that. Is that something that came naturally? Or did you learn that?
Lots of practice. It's all about paying attention to everything you eat and drink. It all has multiple flavors that you can pick out if you pay attention.

Lots of practice. It's all about paying attention to everything you eat and drink. It all has multiple flavors that you can pick out if you pay attention.
Oh and one of these really helps you pick out particular flavors. Some ryes have a apple flavor on the nose. If you think about what you are smelling you can pick out a crisp apple (not the flavor of a muchy one) and even the variety. A Granny Smith tastes different than a Macintosh or what ever. Strawberries have a light sweet fruity smell and are different than say raspberries or blackberries. SOmetimes a process of elimination helps you narrow down what you are smelling and tasting. I print off these tasting wheels for the tastings that Ted and I host. People really like using them.

Tasting Wheel.jpg

Ok that helps to start. Sometimes I can pick things up and some it’s harder. Having a starting point helps. I try to do the same with wines. I know there are different elements in them and trying to pick them out is always interesting.

ANother thing to do is don't rush things. Swirl it around in the glass and let it breathe. The nose will change. I try not to take a first sip until 10 min or so. Smaller sips can still coat your tongue and rub your tongue n the roof of your mouth. There are many more taste buds in your mouth than on your tongue. You will notice different flavors showing up in different places. Dang, I am getting caramel on the finish now but after 5 min past my last sip.

Ok that helps to start. Sometimes I can pick things up and some it’s harder. Having a starting point helps. I try to do the same with wines. I know there are different elements in them and trying to pick them out is always interesting.
Same thing with wine. I like bourbon and rye so much better though. The distilling process removes the methanol that gives me a headache. Wine and beer still have it in there.

I am all stuffy right now so that doesn’t help at all. But I am taking all of this in. Learning and having an appreciation for craftsmanship that went into it is part of the experience

I’ve come across more people that don’t like them but they always appeal to me. They are usually my go to. I may try the woodford rye next weekend

The ryes are usually my favorites
Bourbons can be pretty predictable. Sweet, caramel, and oak. I like the high rye bourbons because they add the extra complexity from the rye.
Now, The high rye ryes (they have to be 51% to be called "Ryes" as per Federal Law) They have a personality of their own. MGP makes juice for many companies and they have a 95/5 Rye that is quite delicious. 95% rue, 5% malted barley. You may get spearmint or tea flavors from that.

I’ve come across more people that don’t like them but they always appeal to me. They are usually my go to. I may try the woodford rye next weekend
I brought my bottle up. I will try it in a few min here and let you know.

-
Back