Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well, the rains are here now. They are predicting 1-2" tonight and another 1-2" tomorrow. *sigh*

Looks like the rest of the long weekend is a washout. IDK what they are going to do with the Memorial Day services tomorrow. We will be there rain or shine either way, but I'm guessing the parade part will be cancelled.

R.I.P.
148.jpg

Well, the rains are here now. They are predicting 1-2" tonight and another 1-2" tomorrow. *sigh*

Looks like the rest of the long weekend is a washout. IDK what they are going to do with the Memorial Day services tomorrow. We will be there rain or shine either way, but I'm guessing the parade part will be cancelled.
raining here for about an hour now. Our parade is scheduled for 10am. weather shows rain ending by 9 and chance of a shower around noon. guess time will tell...

raining here for about an hour now. Our parade is scheduled for 10am. weather shows rain ending by 9 and chance of a shower around noon. guess time will tell...
True time will tell. You sure can't depend on the weather people with their million dollar equipment to get it right.

I found an old photo of one of the subs that my grandfather did the electrical wiring on when it was being built. He was too old for combat but young enough to be an integral part of building the weapons of Victory. I even still have some of the tools he custom made in the yard foundry specifically for working on those boats.

USS_Pilotfish 1.jpg

After the War, by directive dated 1 July 1946, the USS Pilotfish was selected for disposal by use as a target in the 'Operation Crossroads' atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll. Moored 363 yards (332 meters) from "surface zero," she was sunk by the Test Baker underwater atomic bomb explosion of 25 July 1946.

The explosion′s pressure waves compressed her hull and forced her hatches open, flooding her completely. She was decommissioned on 29 August 1946 and was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 25 February 1947. She remains on the bottom of the lagoon at Bikini Atoll.

In the oddest of all circumstance, Hoppy reminds me very much of my Grandfather. Same sense of humor, grit and deep honor. They could have been brothers...born 70 years apart.

I found an old photo of one of the subs that my grandfather did the electrical wiring on when it was being built. He was too old for combat but young enough to be an integral part of building the weapons of Victory. I even still have some of the tools he custom made in the yard foundry specifically for working on those boats.

View attachment 1714938628
Cool photo. The size of those boats amazes me..

Ok, I'm caught up for today...

We untaped the Dart engine compartment today and did some clean up on the wiring. Made a new positive battery cable, replaced the washer lines and installed a new F-connector, then we had a "no build" on the leaf springs. The right one didn't have the front bushing centered. We tried to pound it to the center and could not. Now Eddie has to argue with Mancini to get another sent at their shipping, he paid $60 for shipping these and one is defective....

DSC04333 B.jpg

DSC04334 B.jpg

DSC04336 B.jpg

DSC04338 B.jpg

DSC04340 B.jpg

DSC04344 B.jpg

DSC04343 B.jpg

Ok. Go away for the weekend, get 22 pages to catch up ...

Don't leave home.

Norway was nice, though. Lots of Champagne and Cognac. The guy has expensive taste in liquor so we got him three bottles of Dom Perignon Vintage 2006 and a bottle of Otard XO Gold Cognac on the ferry over for a total of $450 ...

Went down easily enough, though. Haven't been up 'til 4 AM in a looong time. This was Friday night. Good thing we didn't have to drive home until Sunday ...

Ok, I'm caught up for today...

We untaped the Dart engine compartment today and did some clean up on the wiring. Made a new positive battery cable, replaced the washer lines and installed a new F-connector, then we had a "no build" on the leaf springs. The right one didn't have the front bushing centered. We tried to pound it to the center and could not. Now Eddie has to argue with Mancini to get another sent at their shipping, he paid $60 for shipping these

View attachment 1714938667

Instead of POUNDING it. boy that must hurt.LOL
Try some dish soap and a vise. Or two blocks of wood and a large C clamp. Nice work on the engine compartment.

Last edited:
It may be a little challenging...

the butterfly plates are staked in so the screws don't come out and take out a cylinder... They can be difficult to remove, and even more important, getting them in and secure enough so they don't "rattle loose" and get into a cylinder later... You would need to restake them without bending the mounting shaft so they don't come out...
Karl, thank you for mentioning this! Made me realize I might have forgotten to do this on the Holley 600 I sold. I just PM:ed the dude who bought it.

In the kit I bought, little strips of teflon were included to re-bush the shaft. It won't fix a worn out housing, though.

Yup .. we do it right here at my shop. The Church pays for oil and filters, and I get 2 or 3 guys from our congregation to volunteer. The ladies must be single moms , widows or divorcees. They sign up a few weeks in advance at our Church and come every 1/2 hr or so , on schedule. Sue makes coffee and muffins and has fellowship with the ladies while they wait. I'ts fun. We do it every 3 months.
That's a fantastic idea! You do oil changes only?

-
Back