Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Good morning
1721133512557.png

Designers should have looked more closely at those rubber nosed Ponchos when the insurance companies paid the feds for that 5 mph bumper regulation. Could have saved the public from a bunch of really ugly park bench bumpers. :soapbox::lol:
THat's what they all are today.

Yep. All the BTUs in the world ain't gonna help if it can't move the air. Dampers on each branch to balance also makes a big difference.
yeah, i have every duct closed to rooms i don't use.. i have like 8 rooms in my house and use 3.. no point in cooling empty rooms :)

All this hvac talk reminded me to change my filter. Our old system has a non working electronic filter. It was just 2 sheets of wire mesh. The mesh cavities are only 3/4" so a standard filter won't fit. I have to smash a regular filter flat and trim the edges.

My HVAC expert/high school buddy retired and moved from the desert to Idahohoho. Barstow Unified School District must have had a really good pension plan, he travels a lot. Not unusual to get a text pic from like the US Nationals :D

So, assuming it was sized right and once did the whole house. Now can't do 3... It's done. :elmer:
well.. the 3 room thing is not enough airflow... i don't think that changed over the years... i think they put in too small of a unit

well.. the 3 room thing is not enough airflow... i don't think that changed over the years... i think they put in too small of a unit
I did a study the hvac guys call a "Manual J". You measure all the conditioned rooms, all the windows,type of windows and construction details like wall construction and insulation. Also your geographical location and temp swings. It tells you exactly what you need for sizes for heat and cool. Mine have been spot on. I gave the results to the guy that sold us our boiler because he doubted the results. He sold us what was recommended and it works perfect. Those units work well at maximum capacity as designed.

All this hvac talk reminded me to change my filter. Our old system has a non working electronic filter. It was just 2 sheets of wire mesh. The mesh cavities are only 3/4" so a standard filter won't fit. I have to smash a regular filter flat and trim the edges.
Last Wednesday morning my tenant texted me and told me the system for the upstairs in the house was not working. She only heard a humming noise. Lol. But she knew I was going away to Carlisle for 4 days. I told her I'd check it when I got back. So I was checking it yesterday and my son came by and was helping me. Looks like the fan won't run outside so I believed it was just a capacitor. Sure enough. We pulled the capacitor and tested it and it's no good. Well my Son had his daughter/ my granddaughter with him, so he went home. So he calls a guy he knows fairly well that does HVAC, asks him if he has a capacitor on his truck. Guy says yup he sure does. So this guy stops by here about an hour later with the capacitor which I've already taken out and it's already all apart. Now I'm assuming that this guy knew that I was Matthew's father and supposedly this is a friend of my son. I didn't ask anything. I just let him put the capacitor in it. We fired the system up and it ran well. So I asked him what I owe you?. This friggin guy says $300. I said Whaaat !!! Almost in the same breath I wanted to tell him to take it out and get in his truck and leave the property. But I didn't. I gave him $250. I'm just waiting for "that" guy to need some automotive work done...#&@#@!!@#$

About the only AC units in this valley are attached to commercial buildings. Our high temps for this coming weekend are probably where most folks have their thermostats set :lol:

About the only AC units in this valley are attached to commercial buildings. Our high temps for this coming weekend are probably where most folks have their thermostats set :lol:
yes... if i could live in paradise i would.. sadly i'm stuck in satans butthole :)

One thing i think i will do this weekend is lube my furnace motor.. haven't done it since i owned the house.. bought the zoom spout oil like 5 years ago and never bothered...

Last Wednesday morning my tenant texted me and told me the system for the upstairs in the house was not working. She only heard a humming noise. Lol. But she knew I was going away to Carlisle for 4 days. I told her I'd check it when I got back. So I was checking it yesterday and my son came by and was helping me. Looks like the fan won't run outside so I believed it was just a capacitor. Sure enough. We pulled the capacitor and tested it and it's no good. Well my Son had his daughter/ my granddaughter with him, so he went home. So he calls a guy he knows fairly well that does HVAC, asks him if he has a capacitor on his truck. Guy says yup he sure does. So this guy stops by here about an hour later with the capacitor which I've already taken out and it's already all apart. Now I'm assuming that this guy knew that I was Matthew's father and supposedly this is a friend of my son. I didn't ask anything. I just let him put the capacitor in it. We fired the system up and it ran well. So I asked him what I owe you?. This friggin guy says $300. I said Whaaat !!! Almost in the same breath I wanted to tell him to take it out and get in his truck and leave the property. But I didn't. I gave him $250. I'm just waiting for "that" guy to need some automotive work done...#&@#@!!@#$
ohh **** that.... i hate how much those fuckers screw people... it's literally a $11 capacitor.. i replaced mine last month....

yes... if i could live in paradise i would.. sadly i'm stuck in satans butthole :)

One thing i think i will do this weekend is lube my furnace motor.. haven't done it since i owned the house.. bought the zoom spout oil like 5 years ago and never bothered...
I had taken HVAC classes in college, learned enough to be dangerous or at least able to clean stuff up before the next season. It was a trick to oil the motor in our new house, the ports faced down and there was not enough wire to twist it around. Had to take squirrel cage out, pull it apart, oil, reassemble. (didn't have left over parts) Finally, after 26 years, added wire to the connections so the ports are on top. Make sure the unit outside is clean and the condensor isn't plugged. Ours is a yearly clean with all the "fluffy" stuff that floats around. I've even put window screen around the intake slots to help reduce the plugging. Easier to clean on the outside of the unit.

Good morning all. Didn't backread. We made it to Lubbock, Tx last night. Was thinking about @Ben Drinkin but he dont live here anymore. Yesterday we went up the cograil at Pikes Peak, really cool. Hope everyone has a great day.

:mob: :mob: :mob: :rofl:Wow. THe guy is a *****! He turns a trick and get's paid.

I had taken HVAC classes in college, learned enough to be dangerous or at least able to clean stuff up before the next season. It was a trick to oil the motor in our new house, the ports faced down and there was not enough wire to twist it around. Had to take squirrel cage out, pull it apart, oil, reassemble. (didn't have left over parts) Finally, after 26 years, added wire to the connections so the ports are on top. Make sure the unit outside is clean and the condensor isn't plugged. Ours is a yearly clean with all the "fluffy" stuff that floats around. I've even put window screen around the intake slots to help reduce the plugging. Easier to clean on the outside of the unit.
whoever installed it with the oil ports down was just being lazy :) Mine are up, i saw them years ago then forgot bout it, my condensor looks clean but gonna double check it, maybe hit it with the hose and make sure it's clear

-
Back