Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Mmmm. Cold brew after a hot day of cars! Sounds heavenly. Did you see any of our gang? We're any of them sober?
Saw Mitch and Tike. Yes, sober... beverage of choice for the early hours was water. There were quite a few Miller Lite cans in Mitch's trash though... lol

So I have been looking into the amp gauge bypass for the GTS but it occurred to me that the recommended wiring modifications are over done. I think I have a better way.

The circuit modification I propose is shown in the image below. Diagram A is stock, Diagram B is what I see recommended and Diagram C is what I propose...

attachment.php

By doing it this way it replaces the amp meter as the main bus and gives the charging current a much larger path to travel. It addresses the main issues as follows:

1. The Amp meter is now shunted as a secondary path (similar to the GM design of that era) reducing the current load through the gauge.

2. It will still provide charging power to the main electrical system and battery even if the amp gauge fails.

3. The amp gauge will still operate and show when the system is in a 'discharge' state indicating an alternator failure.

4. It does not require extensive modification of an otherwise 'healthy' electrical wiring harness just to prevent an issue. It simply requires running a heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the positive battery cable either at the relay connection or at the battery terminal.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Wouldn't that make the amp guage inaccurate? Electricals ain't my strong suit, but it seems if you give the sytem an easy way out, it'll bypass the gauge and give you an inaccurate reading?

Hey, I just got an e-mail from my fabricator for the '69 style nose for my '06 Charger. Getting close to delivery!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Wouldn't that make the amp guage inaccurate? Electricals ain't my strong suit, but it seems if you give the sytem an easy way out, it'll bypass the gauge and give you an inaccurate reading?
You are correct that the gauge would be inaccurate, but it would still indicate current flow which is all you really need the gauge to do anyway.

So I have been looking into the amp gauge bypass for the GTS but it occurred to me that the recommended wiring modifications are over done. I think I have a better way.

The circuit modification I propose is shown in the image below. Diagram A is stock, Diagram B is what I see recommended and Diagram C is what I propose...

attachment.php

By doing it this way it replaces the amp meter as the main bus and gives the charging current a much larger path to travel. It addresses the main issues as follows:

1. The Amp meter is now shunted as a secondary path (similar to the GM design of that era) reducing the current load through the gauge.

2. It will still provide charging power to the main electrical system and battery even if the amp gauge fails.

3. The amp gauge will still operate and show when the system is in a 'discharge' state indicating an alternator failure.

4. It does not require extensive modification of an otherwise 'healthy' electrical wiring harness just to prevent an issue. It simply requires running a heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the positive battery cable either at the relay connection or at the battery terminal.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
won't the added always hot in C cause the starter to cycle constantly?

won't the added always hot in C cause the starter to cycle constantly?
Nope, it's on the upstream side of the starter relay connected to the main power cable going to the battery. It's the same as if it were connected directly to the battery.

Rehearsal dinner over. So it's beer time.... and mike, I'm in trouble already lol

No, I think that's gonna do it for me. Did a LOT of walking today. Just hoping I don't have leg cramps tonight. :eek:
I called the nats about renting a golf cart.....200 a day!

-
Back