Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I have been cleaning out my projects and selling things. What is wrong with me because I have sellers remorse. But I don't want to leave this stuff sit around and rot away. This cute little 67 shortbed stepside is one I want to keep but it is getting rough sitting in the field. So I have this extra frame I was going to get rolling. Then I can start and do one section at a time.

Rani it is hard to explain. It is kind of like a resin, but super hard when it dries. They use it on fiberglass boats on the hull (outside)

I have some left over gel coat I am going to try on the darts k member. I tell you what it is super hard when it dries. Expensive but not as bad as paint. Like a fiberglass resin when it dries.

Are you talking like POR-15? I painted a k frame with that but it fades out! Looks terrible in my opinion and now it is hard to have sandblasted because it is that durable.

I am not familiar with por 15. It is this stuff.

Attachments

• gelcoat.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 75
A little bit! I actually found the computer this morning. Good start..

Lol .....I don't know how you do it......alcohol is some strong stuff. A can of keystone made me wobbly and ...... well its all a blurr. .....never again

I just looke up POR 15 and it seems to be a primer type of product. The gelcoat is different. I don't know if you need a primer or not with the gel coat. I used it on a sailboat we have so I just sprayed it over the existing gelcoat after it was roughed up.

Lol .....I don't know how you do it......alcohol is some strong stuff. A can of keystone made me wobbly and ...... well its all a blurr. .....never again

Thats because a can of Keystone is bigger than you! That would be like Ben drinking a barrel!

Never would have thought of Gel Coat. Any downside to using it...

I got some on a junk piece of angle iron I was using to keep the boat up on the saw horses and it is like dippingg it in fiberglass resin. I have to look around and see if there are any one doing this. It would be a ***** to get off.

POR-15 is a coating all in its self. It is actually hard tyo paint over. I know what you are using in the Gelcoat. The problem with that is stones will put cracks in it. A boat may hit a rock and it is very durable but a stone coming at the K frame will do damage through time.

POR-15 is a coating all in its self. It is actually hard tyo paint over. I know what you are using in the Gelcoat. The problem with that is stones will put cracks in it. A boat may hit a rock and it is very durable but a stone coming at the K frame will do damage through time.

Makes sense. I wonder what is the best treatment, Powder coating?

I would probably epoxy it and then spray a top coat so that its water proof and uv protected.

But now you have me looking into this gel coat for various things

I will tell you one thing any thing that needs to be thinned out with MEK gotta be good!

We (my dad and I) YEARS ago painted the bottom of our wooden boat with the stuff and it worked great. Then one day we discovered that there was a crack from hitting a rock. We tried to recoat it but it never sealed where the crack was and through time the bugger leaked and we had one heck of a time getting it repaired. Had to do the whole bottom over again. BUT this was years ago and we were by no means expert. But my dad worked at sherwin Williams and they were on top of the paint/coating game.

Holy Buckets! It is late....I need to go as well. See ya Rani, Ray, Ben and anyone else on here.

Great.... I show up after the fart...

My wireless signal dropped and I just got it back...

-
Back