Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
my wife is going to pop an artery but since I got that front end kit, I have decided to do another car... just gotta find the right one

Like they don't go on their own spending sprees.... :mob:

She'll get over it... :mad:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission sometimes.... :rolleyes:

are there cars like these out there that have never had rust? Being here in Mass. that seems like a wild fantasy...
Oh, I know what you mean. I can't say I have seen them personally. LOL. Certainly nothing local to me unless it never left the garage from October till April. But, I keep seeing new project threads starting with 'found a rust free...' Maybe Benricky's area?

Oh, I know what you mean. I can't say I have seen them personally. LOL. Certainly nothing local to me unless it never left the garage from October till April. But, I keep seeing new project threads starting with 'found a rust free...' Maybe Benricky's area?
yea, I have heard there are cars downs south and out west that are in good shape... I would do something that has been repaired as long as it was done well

Hey George,
You probably do the most painting on the coffee crew.... How much paint will I need for the Duster? How many coats is normal for either SS or BC? Outside only, canopy vinyl top. Any areas that have been worked on are Rustoleum 'rusty metal' red spray primer. I will be going over most of those with their 'almost black' primer cause I found out on the engine bay it covers better than the red which is nearly the same as the finish color for some reason. It all went on pretty nice, so was not planning to prime/seal the whole thing. Not sure if I will just do SS like I did for bay and jambs, or BC. Does base cover better than SS? I am happy with the way the SS looks. I keep seeing people saying go BC for metallic. Just not sure that I can spray good enough to get it right with SS, and I know the BC would give me the chance to fix any oops after its done. My original plan was to shoot it in my driveway, but I realize even a little breeze could be disaster. So, not sure where it will get done or who will be pulling the trigger.
It depends, cheaper paint you usually need more of it and tinted sealer really helps. SS metallics can be tricky because you're trying to get the gloss and metallic pattern correct in the same coat. Also, ss metallics don't buff well, a little wet sanding and you're down into the metallic.

Sob i texted my dad for the contact information, he replied it's not for sale any more

well, we got a few more inches of that unhappy white powder last night.. gotta go get it cleaned up.. yip-yip-yipeee...
Probably about time Ido something. Gonna go clean the remaining snow off the Duster. Then go downstairs and re-assemble my wiper motor. So, in a couple hours when it's 50 degrees out I can test it and hopefully get my wipers working today.

Probably about time Ido something. Gonna go clean the remaining snow off the Duster. Then go downstairs and re-assemble my wiper motor. So, in a couple hours when it's 50 degrees out I can test it and hopefully get my wipers working today.
63 today here

Not surprising. It did look like a good deal.
Kind of bummed kind of not. My wife says I can spend up to a grand on my dart out of the tax check. Was really thinking of throwing a grand down and seeing if he'd take it

Yeh, I realize results will vary...How much mixed liquid would you expect to use per coat?
The whole outside less a partial roof about a quart and half or so per coat sprayable. Better to have a little extra paint then not enough. I'm pretty funny about coverage, sucks to get one outside and realize it's a little light around the edges or down low at the rockers especially if you don't have alot of light where you're painting. Base I'll usually hit 4 coats, again a lot depends on what you're trying to cover. dark primer etc. Red, blues, violets on top of red sealer. Whites, yellows, on top of white sealer etc. and instead of fighting coverage you can just put the paint on. Paint these days the more expensive they get the less pigment they seem to have lol If you're going over mostly the same color it will take a lot less.

Last edited:
The whole outside less a partial roof about a quart and half or so.
Your saying that per coat? So, maybe 3 coats per gallon? I think I did 3 coats on all the jambs and stuff with the SS. Covered good,just had trouble keeping a nice wet coat. I think some of that was gun adjustment (I don't paint much) but a lot of it was the breeze messing me up.
You say 4 coats base... how many clear? and is it less/more liquid per coat on clear?

-
Back