Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Your saying that per coat? So, maybe 3 coats per gallon? I think I did 3 coats on all the jambs and stuff with the SS. Covered good,just had trouble keeping a nice wet coat. I think some of that was gun adjustment (I don't paint much) but a lot of it was the breeze messing me up.
You say 4 coats base... how many clear? and is it less/more liquid per coat on clear?
With the new high solids clears 2 coats is plenty and out of a gallon you'll have maybe a quart or a little less left.

I was told for my car, I'd need 5 quarts of base color and a gallon of clear

SS metallics can be tricky because you're trying to get the gloss and metallic pattern correct in the same coat. Also, ss metallics don't buff well, a little wet sanding and you're down into the metallic.
Again, just looking for 'decent' appearance. I was satisfied with the way the metallic looked on the inner stuff. Just would need to get it nice 'from the gun' so no sanding needed.
Does B/C have to be sanded and buffed, or is it 'OK' as sprayed if not looking for high gloss?

Your saying that per coat? So, maybe 3 coats per gallon? I think I did 3 coats on all the jambs and stuff with the SS. Covered good,just had trouble keeping a nice wet coat. I think some of that was gun adjustment (I don't paint much) but a lot of it was the breeze messing me up.
You say 4 coats base... how many clear? and is it less/more liquid per coat on clear?
Yeah, everybody paints different, but for me a gallon can be pretty tight for for me depending on color.

Again, just looking for 'decent' appearance. I was satisfied with the way the metallic looked on the inner stuff. Just would need to get it nice 'from the gun' so no sanding needed.
Does B/C have to be sanded and buffed, or is it 'OK' as sprayed if not looking for high gloss?
base you just put it on, but if you really get to dry spraying it, it can look a little grainy under the clear

I was told for my car, I'd need 5 quarts of base color and a gallon of clear
Light golds or blue metallics, silvers, I would need about that much, because you need a little extra to do a drop coat to even out the metallics. So that sounds about right.

Yeah, everybody paints different, but for me a gallon can be pretty tight for for me depending on color.
Not a color change, just there are some larger primer areas. The tail, roof and tops of the doors already have new color coat. I'm thinking a coat over the primer areas and 3 over everything...

Not a color change, just there are some larger primer areas. The tail, roof and tops of the doors already have new color coat. I'm thinking a coat over the primer areas and 3 over everything...
Yeah hit a coat or 2 over the primered areas to bring them up. Let the stuff flash well, it'll cover better then wet on wet on wet.

Dry spraying?
Yeah, you still want the base to lay flat, such as a medium coat. Only on the last coat you back up a bit and dust across it. Like dusting paint on, but if you do it several times the base will look grainy. Hard to explain.

I just ran some errands and a white 4 door turns left and passes me at the light with the number "67" on the window in those used car sales promo lettering...

It was a 67 Valiant 4 door slant 6 car in nice shape with an old man driving and a two passengers... :thumbsup:

I was tempted to flip a u-e and chase him down, but decided not to.... :BangHead:

Just crawled out of bed for the 3rd time. I caught a cold and I am feeling like homemade ****. Going to be a long day.

are there cars like these out there that have never had rust? Being here in Mass. that seems like a wild fantasy...
Yep. My GTS. Southern car garage kept it's entire life. It even has the original vinyl top.

Yep. My GTS. Southern car garage kept it's entire life. It even has the original vinyl top.
My Swinger is pretty clean as well with the original vinyl top. It must not have been driven much in the winter. I am the 3rd. owner. The original owner was a elderly couple and the guy I bought it from is a Mopar collector.

Well, it looks purdy now. Time to go test it...

2017-02-11 13.49.58.jpg

-
Back