Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
the holes in the dam!

C4Pu7EPXUAcwPiV.jpg

That...Right There...Is NFG !!!!
yeah...... their solution? put big rocks in the hole by helicopter.... guess what, water washed them out. like really? that's the solution?!

sad part is, that's the back up spillway, they say the hole in the main spill way is even bigger, letting 2 times the amount of water rush out than it was designed to withstand. and its raining today.

Ouch!
So, how did this happen? and both sides at once?

OK, I see that is the same thing as it got worse... but you say there is another one worse?

that pic is from the california national guard facebook page. It shows the Emergency spillway hole that opened just hours after they tried to use it. the hole started and then got that big within an hr of opening.

The main spillway they claim has an even bigger hole which is why it was closed and the emergency one opened, but now they have both open trying to save the dam..... I'm trying to locate a picture of the main spillway hole, supposedly its closer to the base of the damn

OK, I see that is the same thing as it got worse... but you say there is another one worse?
found it. this is the main spillway hole, supposedly just 60 feet from the base of the damn and it goes all the way to bedrock

833a7d181445c258a1d8672358feccf8.jpg

KG_oro_spillway_damage_9974.jpg

KG_oro_spillway_damage_9970.jpg

that pic is from the california national guard facebook page. It shows the Emergency spillway hole that opened just hours after they tried to use it. the hole started and then got that big within an hr of opening.

The main spillway they claim has an even bigger hole which is why it was closed and the emergency one opened, but now they have both open trying to save the dam..... I'm trying to locate a picture of the main spillway hole, supposedly its closer to the base of the damn
I heard if it's a really big hole, you wanna go in with a 2x4 across your back. :eek: But maybe that was something different....:D

Ah good question. I've found from working in insurance there's 2 main reasons.

A: They didnt check with FEMA(who believe it or not, defines what is and isn't a flood plain and they (fema) screw this up OFTEN).

B: The bank, owner, builder, insurance company researched historical records and found that even though its a low lying area, there hadnt ever been a flood there. (IE Columbus Indiana in 2008 and parts of New Orleans in Katrina)

FEMA is the federal agency responsible for setting flood plain maps. The law is very pointed as the the boundary lines. Literally, I've had people not be eligible for flood insurance on their home because the boundary ran halfway thru their back yard. Also, FEMA fails to update these flood plains with any consistency nor do they take into account how man-made objects affect the water flow when floods due occur. Example, Columbus Indiana in 2008, another reason that town flooded fully was because just the year before, they'd spend millions creating a brand new, never existed before raised road north of the town that ran near the river, the few culverts put in were too small and too few to allow the water to flow outwards away from the town, instead, the water back filled the dam, which busted, then levi's along the spillways were breached and the rest is history.

Roads, housing developments etc, all affect the water run off and change the flood basin, but does anyone think of checking into this no. So what happens is this, a home built in say 2000 before the road was even planned or thought about was safe, no where near a flood plain, road is built in 2007, now they are in a flood plain and didnt even know the road put them in perile.
If I wanted to do anything anywhere near a flood plane it would be shot down in a heartbeat. Yet somehow it still happens. Money, Influence, Planning commissions with other priorities...

Much farther North near Sacramento
i thought the dam was north of sacremento?! if thats the case, then yeah he might be in the area. I could of sworn he said is was between Sacramento and San Fran?

that dam according to google maps is due north of Sacramento by an hour or so.

Moms south west of Sacramento and the dam is failing is much farther north of Sacramento ... geese I need to get it right the first time , sorry

Speaking of shakin. Is this dam failure quake related? Have they said any cause?
only thing ive heard is it failed because the massive amounts of rain theyve gotten in the last few months has over filled the damn beyond the pressure it was designed to hold. Its at the highest level on record. so they started dumping the water into the spillways that havent been used in some 50 years without checking them first, thats when the problems started.....

-
Back