Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Hey David, I did a little photo retouching on your Fury pic to try to bring out the image a bit more...

David Fury 1.jpg

Well, I finally got my taxes done. I figured it would be a mess with the job switch, severance payments and house sale. After wading through it all, I was disappointed that I'm not getting any money back like I usually do (usually a few thousand):(...but at least I don't owe anything.

Since I'm not getting anything back, I'm putting off the actual filing until it's closer to the due date.

There ya go. Uncle Sam doesn't need to use your money without paying you interest (even though so small). If you are delinquent on your tax payment they will charge you interest and penalties. As close to zero as you can get is the best.

Had a nice day here, cleaned the Fury's windows and chrome real good (Bon Ami original, yellow can.) Tried out a $$pecial vinyl repair tape, will see how the one test patch holds up before I use any more. Met my young lady friend downtown for lunch. Stopped and took a few pics on the way home. A place that has Frisbee golf and you can do wakeboarding and other stuff there...
View attachment 1715020000
View attachment 1715020001
View attachment 1715020002
View attachment 1715020003

View attachment 1715020004
Beauty of a C body!

Alright, I bought the barrel below. I just went with a 16" .223 wylde, with a .750 gas block. My question is regarding attaching it, I want a free float hand guard. I've never built one this far yet, and Im not sure if the hand guard comes with the barrel nut, or if I have to buy all of that... Also being its a 16" barrel, I want the majority of the end of the barrel showing. So what length hand guard would you buy?

bear-claw-768x1152_2.png

Alright, I bought the barrel below. I just went with a 16" .223 wylde, with a .750 gas block. My question is regarding attaching it, I want a free float hand guard. I've never built one this far yet, and Im not sure if the hand guard comes with the barrel nut, or if I have to buy all of that... Also being its a 16" barrel, I want the majority of the end of the barrel showing. So what length hand guard would you buy?

View attachment 1715020009
It's all Greek to me!

View attachment 1715020009
Ok. Let's see if I can explain this properly.

You'll need to find out what length gas system the barrel is drilled for. There's 4 options, pistol length(rare on 16in barrels) , mid length, carbine length and rifle length, the latter three are all commonly found on 16in barrels. That will help determine what length hand rails to get as you'll want your hand rails to cover up to the gas block.

Most of the time, a free float rail will come with the barrel nut. There are a few that don't but those aren't true free floats and are knock offs. I recommend highly a 1 piece free float rail, Midwest industries is a good brand.

Keep in mind, the length of a free float rail is mostly up to you. But you'll want to make sure it covers the gas tube(which you'll need to buy as well) in order to protect it. Those tubes are flimsy as hell and very thin. Easy to damage. For example: you can run a full length rifle rail on a mid length gas setup but you don't want to run the 4 inch pistol length rail on a mid length, carbine or rifle.

Thanks, Dave. You know I was not at all sure about buying this car, but more and more I am glad that I did.

Ok. Let's see if I can explain this properly.

You'll need to find out what length gas system the barrel is drilled for. There's 4 options, pistol length(rare on 16in barrels) , mid length, carbine length and rifle length, the latter three are all commonly found on 16in barrels. That will help determine what length hand rails to get as you'll want your hand rails to cover up to the gas block.

Most of the time, a free float rail will come with the barrel nut. There are a few that don't but those aren't true free floats and are knock offs. I recommend highly a 1 piece free float rail, Midwest industries is a good brand.

Keep in mind, the length of a free float rail is mostly up to you. But you'll want to make sure it covers the gas tube(which you'll need to buy as well) in order to protect it. Those tubes are flimsy as hell and very thin. Easy to damage. For example: you can run a full length rifle rail on a mid length gas setup but you don't want to run the 4 inch pistol length rail on a mid length, carbine or rifle.
Sorry forgot to mention, its Carbine length.... Ok the only other stuff I will need is the gas block and the gas tube with roll pin correct?

As you mentioned the hand guard comes with the barrel nut, but I should not need anything else will I?

380lbs of crap to the dump today - $27.50. Then we went through a bunch of clothes and I did a Salvation Army run... emptied 3 BIG totes that were just taking up space downstairs -- all leftover stuff from when I was doing storage auctions:thumbsup:

Sorry forgot to mention, its Carbine length.... Ok the only other stuff I will need is the gas block and the gas tube with roll pin correct?

As you mentioned the hand guard comes with the barrel nut, but I should not need anything else will I?
Not for the hand rail. The gas tube "should" come with a gas tub roll pin however, buy a couple extra(don't ask how I know this) . Do you have the upper receiver assembled?

Also make sure the holes on the gas block are correctly spaced to the holes on the barrel. Sometimes the holes in the barrels are a tad out of spec and may need files slightly

Not for the hand rail. The gas tube "should" come with a gas tub roll pin however, buy a couple extra(don't ask how I know this) . Do you have the upper receiver assembled?

Also make sure the holes on the gas block are correctly spaced to the holes on the barrel. Sometimes the holes in the barrels are a tad out of spec and may need files slightly

The upper only has the BCG and Charging Handle. I have to buy the dust cover and forward assist stuff.. Is there anything else I need for that?

Thanks for the tip on the holes, I'll check that out.

The upper only has the BCG and Charging Handle. I have to buy the dust cover and forward assist stuff.. Is there anything else I need for that?

A barrel wrench, torque wrench, roll pin holder/punch, painters tape to prevent marring

Oh but the upper receiver parts kit instead of individual parts, that way you get the right stuff

A barrel wrench, torque wrench, roll pin holder/punch, painters tape to prevent marring
Check, got all that.
Oh but the upper receiver parts kit instead of individual parts, that way you get the right stuff
Been trying to find one that is in stock. Looks like I have to buy individual as of right now..

I was actually thinking of buying an AR ....I work around law enforcement and one of my best buddies is a Deputy and she is trying to get me to join the force.

She has offered to take me to the cop shooting range.

She told me an AR is a good unit because the recoil isn't bad on a small person like me.

I was actually thinking of buying an AR ....I work around law enforcement and one of my best buddies is a Deputy and she is trying to get me to join the force.

She has offered to take me to the cop shooting range.

She told me an AR is a good unit because the recoil isn't bad on a small person like me.
Barely any at all in 5.56, less than 3 lbs. at army basic training, drill instructor put one against his family jewels and fired it to prove there was no recoil

-
Back