Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
@mitch. They cracking down on historic tags by you? They're really busting chops this way.
Someone else the other day was telling me the same.. No experience yet myself. I have em on my Ram and my Jeep.. But I don't stray far from the house usually..I guess we'll see...

Was just commenting on that when I got mine. Several people told me go ahead and do it. I did not. No more pics required in PA, but right where you sign the form it says $2500 fine for lying. Plus one guy said something about State troopers watching car shows. Not worth it. When I get paint and upholstery done I can switch it over and should be good enough for State Farm to insure as antique
for indiana, to qualify for antique plates is a BIOTCH

Was just commenting on that when I got mine. Several people told me go ahead and do it. I did not. No more pics required in PA, but right where you sign the form it says $2500 fine for lying. Plus one guy said something about State troopers watching car shows. Not worth it. When I get paint and upholstery done I can switch it over and should be good enough for State Farm to insure as antique
In Md you can get historic on anything over 20y/o and it exempts you from have to get an inspection. So every old pos people reg historic. I've even seen historic tags on falling apart pos church buses and ratty work trucks. Md inspection is tough. They measure brake lining and all kinds of crap, oil leaks , rust. Look for nicks in sidewalls, play in the steering column and on and on. But, you only have to do it once.

From what I found on the bmv website, to get an antique plate on it, it has to be pretty much in an unaltered state from the model year produced and much be in good visual and mechanical condition. Then there is a mileage limit and and yearly affidavit that must be completed to ensure the vehicle remains in an unaltered state for the model year

Someone else the other day was telling me the same.. No experience yet myself. I have em on my Ram and my Jeep.. But I don't stray far from the house usually..I guess we'll see...
Well, the can't bust ya for driving your antique to and from work when you're actually driving away from work.:lol:

In Md you can get historic on anything over 20y/o and it exempts you from have to get an inspection. So every old pos people reg historic. I've even seen historic tags on falling apart pos church buses and ratty work trucks. Md inspection is tough. They measure brake lining and all kinds of crap, oil leaks , rust. Look for nicks in sidewalls, play in the steering column and on and on. But, you only have to do it once.
When I had my Parts Store Operation still going, I was on the Board of Directors for CAWA ( Chesapeake Automotive Wholesalers Assoc. ) . We always lobbied for an Annual vehicle inspection in Maryland, as the Sales for Parts suppliers would benefit immensely from it. Never talked them into though. Even neighboring D.C. and Virginia have yearly safety inspections. I'm sure that there are a lot of unsafe vehicles on Maryland roads...

When I had my Parts Store Operation still going, I was on the Board of Directors for CAWA ( Chesapeake Automotive Wholesalers Assoc. ) . We always lobbied for an Annual vehicle inspection in Maryland, as the Sales for Parts suppliers would benefit immensely from it. Never talked them into though. Even neighboring D.C. and Virginia have yearly safety inspections. I'm sure that there are a lot of unsafe vehicles on Maryland roads...
I know I spent some money to get my 93 chebbie through Md inspection.

I have a copy of the checklist/form in my shop somewhere. I use it to remind me what to look for, if someone wants me to look at a used vehicle, they are buying. I'm not a licenced Inspector, nor do I want to be. But.... I have an Ex Customer/Repair shop that is licenced. He's also a friend and a young guy that I helped get into business. So usually I'll look over someones car, and fix the obvious. Then I call Robert and tell him , I'm sending him a Md. St. Insp. and that I will be repairing problems. He usually goes easy on em , if he knows I'm involved. Pays to know people. A lot of Shops/Inspectors will pick a vehicle apart , to gain work for their Shops..

I have a copy of the checklist/form in my shop somewhere. I use it to remind me what to look for, if someone wants me to look at a used vehicle, they are buying. I'm not a licenced Inspector, nor do I want to be. But.... I have an Ex Customer/Repair shop that is licenced. He's also a friend and a young guy that I helped get into business. So usually I'll look over someones car, and fix the obvious. Then I call Robert and tell him , I'm send him a Md. St. Insp. and that I will be repairing problems. He usually goes easy on em , if he knows I'm involved. Pays to know people. A lot of Shops/Inspectors will pick a vehicle apart , to gain work for their Shops..
i can see that happening. I once got into it with the military base safety officer on my truck. It was putting 1250 ft lbs to the rear wheels. One of the ways the book said to inspect vehicles was to stand on the gas and brake at the same time....... needless to say it'd roast tires instantly, he tried failing me every time... no amount of brakes would hold a rear wheel drive vehicle making that amount of torque

what all do they "inspect"
MD, inspect is all accomplished at private repair facilities, about $80 and takes them an hour and a half or so to do.. Don't remember exactly the complete list, but it's probably close to 100 line items on the sheet. They write down a bunch of the measurements. They mic the rotors, measure drums, pads and linings. They go over it pretty closely. My steering box little wet=fail, oil cooler line little wet=fail. The column bearing in the tilt set up had less then 1/4 inch play=fail. Steering pump wet=fail. Very small nick on sidewall=fail. Pcv hose loose fail. Pinhole in intermediate exhaust pipe fail. Plus all the normal safety stuff, lights, wipers, windows working, horn. They failed me because the drivers window did not operate smoothly and was slow.(tired motor). And I'm sure they check the wheels bearings and steering linkage, ball joints. oh, also rusty brake lines, swollen or dry rotted rubber brake lines.

I have a copy of the checklist/form in my shop somewhere. I use it to remind me what to look for, if someone wants me to look at a used vehicle, they are buying. I'm not a licenced Inspector, nor do I want to be. But.... I have an Ex Customer/Repair shop that is licenced. He's also a friend and a young guy that I helped get into business. So usually I'll look over someones car, and fix the obvious. Then I call Robert and tell him , I'm sending him a Md. St. Insp. and that I will be repairing problems. He usually goes easy on em , if he knows I'm involved. Pays to know people. A lot of Shops/Inspectors will pick a vehicle apart , to gain work for their Shops..
there is a place locally that only does inspections.. best place to go, they have nothing to gain by failing you

MD, inspect is all accomplished at private repair facilities, about $80 and takes them an hour and a half or so to do.. Don't remember exactly the complete list, but it's probably close to 100 line items on the sheet. They write down a bunch of the measurements. They mic the rotors, measure drums, pads and linings. They go over it pretty closely. My steering box little wet=fail, oil cooler line little wet=fail. The column bearing in the tilt set up had less then 1/4 inch play=fail. Steering pump wet=fail. Very small nick on sidewall=fail. Pcv hose loose fail. Pinhole in intermediate exhaust pipe fail. Plus all the normal safety stuff, lights, wipers, windows working, horn. They failed me because the drivers window did not operate smoothly and was slow.(tired motor). And I'm sure they check the wheels bearings and steering linkage, ball joints. oh, also rusty brake lines, swollen or dry rotted rubber brake lines.
Problem is... That is only done once per owner...Suppose you keep that vehicle for 20 yrs, and it falls into a state of disrepair, and you are still driving it.. Happens a lot here in Md. That's why we were always pushing for an annual inspection. Besides, if it was done annually, I'm sure it wouldn't be as comprehensive...

there is a place locally that only does inspections.. best place to go, they have nothing to gain by failing you
Here( well in Md) they'd never survive without having a mechanical shop, you only have to do it once, no repeat business until you buy another used car. New cars don't have to go through so they never see them.

Problem is... That is only done once per owner...Suppose you keep that vehicle for 20 yrs, and it falls into a state of disrepair, and you are still driving it.. Happens a lot here in Md. That's why we were always pushing for an annual inspection. Besides, if it was done annually, I'm sure it wouldn't be as comprehensive...
I think it's a good thing, he found stuff I didn't really think about. I try and keep up with stuff for the most part. Like now, 5 years later, it needs the rest of the exhaust, everything but the intermediate pipe.
:lol:

-
Back