Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I'll jump in...naturally being in the business, I give the server much benefit of the doubt, and consider whether it seems like he or she has been trying his or her best. However, a bad or dismissive attitude will surely affect the amount I tip.

The power of Genesee beer!
Swung by halifaxshops on Sunday. Couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to MOPAR ignitions. He has the knowledge, equipment and parts to get the job done right. Their distributor rebuild and selection is second to none.

Also, on to-go orders, the server is the one who makes sure it is all packaged and everything is included, and that takes time, I give a more modest tip along with a sincere thanks to them for that. That way, when I go back, I know they will treat my order with some care and precedence.

When I get carry out Chinese or a sub from the local mom and pop store I like to put some money in the tip jar. A pleasant, friendly, attentive wait staff usually gets 15%+ at a sit down restaurant.

I'll jump in...naturally being in the business, I give the server much benefit of the doubt, and consider whether it seems like he or she has been trying his or her best. However, a bad or dismissive attitude will surely affect the amount I tip.

What gets me is when they drop the main course and don't follow through with the condiments and refilling the drinks right away... Now I'm waiting for them to come back while my food gets cold... You shouldn't have to wait 5 or more minutes for the ketchup or steak sauce to come so you can eat your food... Then make sure that I have enough to drink so I have something to wash it down with while I eat...

What gets me is when they drop the main course and don't follow through with the condiments and refilling the drinks right away... Now I'm waiting for them to come back while my food gets cold... You shouldn't have to wait 5 or more minutes for the ketchup or steak sauce to come so you can eat your food... Then make sure that I have enough to drink so I have something to wash it down with while I eat...

The server should always check back promptly to assure the guest is satisfied and has everything he needs. Again I do pay attention to if he or she is really hustling, or not.

Swung by halifaxshops on Sunday. Couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to MOPAR ignitions. He has the knowledge, equipment and parts to get the job done right. Their distributor rebuild and selection is second to none.
Sounds like a great recommendation!! Business should come knockin...

Morning Tim, watching golf from Pebble yesterday, they looked cold. Buddy in Palm Springs said its HOT mid 80's.

LOL its always hot in Palm Springs! First rain of the "wet" season here. Desperately needed.

I don't know if this is good or bad, but the wife's been working on a car show calendar. She's printed off April through November, and started filling in dates. So far she's picked three three day shows all a day's drive or less. Two of the three are MOPAR shows. I told her it'll be long days, and she replies, it will be fun. I guess I'm lucky that we both love old cars, and enjoy each others company. First year for road trips like this so will be interesting.

Also, on to-go orders, the server is the one who makes sure it is all packaged and everything is included, and that takes time, I give a more modest tip along with a sincere thanks to them for that. That way, when I go back, I know they will treat my order with some care and precedence.
Yeah but at the same time, they shouldn't think it's automatic that they get 15percent that's where I took issue with the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, when I go to get take out from Roadhouse or Olive Garden etc, those places I normally give 10 percent, if they don't forget something and everything is correct as I know normally that's time away from other seated customers they could be earning tips on. Pizza places, Chinese and other "fast food" carry outs I don't normally.

I don't know if this is good or bad, but the wife's been working on a car show calendar. She's printed off April through November, and started filling in dates. So far she's picked three three day shows all a day's drive or less. Two of the three are MOPAR shows. I told her it'll be long days, and she replies, it will be fun. I guess I'm lucky that we both love old cars, and enjoy each others company. First year for road trips like this so will be interesting.
Very lucky. If your travels take you thru Indiana, especially southern, stop and say hi

One of my highschool buddies handled tips like this. We'd sit down, he'd put a stack of dollar bills, usually 10-20 depending on the location. Then he'd sit another stack next to them. He'd then tell the server that one stack is the tip they are starting with and the other was the one that would be used to add to the tip IF he/she earned it. If the glass ever got empty, he'd take a dollar per glass from the first stack, set in the other. If it took more than a couple minutes to get ketchup or whatever, there went another dollar. At the end of the meal, whatever was in the first stack, was the tip he gave. We never had crappy service when with him now I know why

^^^^I would consider that a little demeaning. Just my opinion. That scenario has never happened to me. That customer might feel cool but we servers don't appreciate having gauntlets thrown down like that. We do a good job out of pride and genuine caring.

Is that how you ended up on the sex offender list??? :poke:
Or did he start out there?

I have left IOU's for the manager!
Maybe should have left a UOme
You drank so much you thought you stopped by to visit yourself?
he actually delivers locomotives on a flatbed for a living! Yes on a flatbed he gave me a calendar with a pic of one on it, you have to see this!
Guy I work is really into old trains. Works (volunteer)with Stewartstown RR, owns a couple cars... Station owns a couple engines plus a tie machine (recently donated) they will need moved at some point. Think they are getting quotes...

Good Morning

Last edited:
^^^^I would consider that a little demeaning. Just my opinion. That scenario has never happened to me. That customer might feel cool but we servers don't appreciate having gauntlets thrown down like that. We do a good job out of pride and genuine caring.
I'm guessing a bunch of 'high school buddies' were not eating in a place like you work for either. More likely Denny's or some local greasy spoon and the staff was the type that responded better to their antics...
I tip according to service. If its 'OK' but nothing special %15. Can go up or down from there. Mistakes happen...Recently ordered cheese steaks in Philly diner. My daughter ordered first and ordered chicken cheese steak. Wife and I wanted beef, but all came out as chicken. She quickly got the corrected order through and got a good tip even though it was her error.

Last edited:
Yeah I've never done it myself. I could see how that would be insulting

-
Back